SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Wsen,

I suppose you could put a skeg on the bottom so they can handle sliding across that Alaskan bush!

There's just something about seeing a Cub on floats that always makes me .

Joel
Me too.
I am sort of surprised these floats are bare foam, well not bare they have paint. Has anyone had them in the water long enough to know if they absorb water?
WSEN is offline Find More Posts by WSEN
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN View Post
Me too.
I am sort of surprised these floats are bare foam, well not bare they have paint. Has anyone had them in the water long enough to know if they absorb water?
Good question about the water absorption. Hope they used closed-cell foam! I'm still looking for some water for my float maiden. It's kinda feast or famine around here. There are plenty of big lakes around, but I don't own a boat - and the accessible ponds around here are either too small, or they're surrounded by tall trees on all sides.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jul 2010
36 Posts
I was just able to to fly a trainer plane at my local flying field. It was great, I had a buddy system going with someone else, he took the plane off and landed it, but I had control of the plane for the rest of the time. So i can't wait till I get some more batteries for my CC to go maiden it sometime this week or next monday. Just thought I would share. Anything I need to be aware of on the first flight? Transmitter settings? I also adjusted the travel to all the servos to 80% so it puts less stress on the servos like someone said here.
Thanks
stuglas69 is offline Find More Posts by stuglas69
Old May 14, 2012, 06:54 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Good question about the water absorption. Hope they used closed-cell foam! I'm still looking for some water for my float maiden. It's kinda feast or famine around here. There are plenty of big lakes around, but I don't own a boat - and the accessible ponds around here are either too small, or they're surrounded by tall trees on all sides.

Joel
Yup. When I maidened my Champ on floats I was glad my boat was right there. It ended up "three-point" nose in the water after it got squirrely on a go-around.

I am thinking of building a simple styrofoam "rescue-craft".

Maybe it would be prudent to soak the floats for a while then weigh them. If nobody has the answer I will do it after I get them rigged.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:01 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,252 Posts
I just use a spin rod with dehooked lure that casts 150'
Gets it home every time!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old May 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
I just use a spin rod with dehooked lure that casts 150'
Gets it home every time!
Noting your location, you are likely a much better caster than I am!! Ha.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,252 Posts
You don't have to be that good on accuracy
Just wing it out there and walk along the shore until the line is over the plane and reel her in!

Don't ask me how I know.........
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by gatorb8; May 14, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuglas69 View Post
I was just able to to fly a trainer plane at my local flying field. It was great, I had a buddy system going with someone else, he took the plane off and landed it, but I had control of the plane for the rest of the time. So i can't wait till I get some more batteries for my CC to go maiden it sometime this week or next monday. Just thought I would share. Anything I need to be aware of on the first flight? Transmitter settings? I also adjusted the travel to all the servos to 80% so it puts less stress on the servos like someone said here.
Thanks
Stuglas,

I assume you are aware that the CC is is not a trainer & that it is intended for intermediate pilots & above? Unlike the trainer you flew, this plane has no self-righting capability. Was the trainer 3 or 4-channel?

Read the CC checklist I just posted. Remember that unlike a trainer, this plane goes where you point it until commanded to do something else. Don't use the flaps until you are proficient at flying the plane without them. Good luck with the maiden!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 07:10 PM
McCarthy, Alaska
Joined Jun 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
You don't have to be that good on accuracy
Just wing it out there and walk along the shore until the line is over the plane and reel her in!
Sounds like a good idea. There is a small pond nearby I have wanted to try but no boat -- will throw a fishing rod in the truck!
Old May 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Jul 2010
36 Posts
Quote:
Stuglas,

I assume you are aware that the CC is is not a trainer & that it is intended for intermediate pilots & above? Unlike the trainer you flew, this plane has no self-righting capability. Was the trainer 3 or 4-channel?

Read the CC checklist I just posted. Remember that unlike a trainer, this plane goes where you point it until commanded to do something else. Don't use the flaps until you are proficient at flying the plane without them. Good luck with the maiden!

Joel
The plane was a 4 channel nitro, and was not self-righting its self.
Thanks though
stuglas69 is offline Find More Posts by stuglas69
Old May 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,878 Posts
Finally found a fun thing with my CC

Took it out in the yard and it makes a super outdoor ember. I would like to have the two side by side, but believe the cub will fly slower. It loves to fly circuits and tight figure eights 3-4' high around the yard with full flaps. You can lay it right up on its side and do tight aileron circles with a bit of rudder to bring the tail around. With full flaps it doesn't need hardly any up elev in turns to stay level. Tried it on first two flap positions first, but it seems to like full flaps better for low and slow. If you lay it over far enough, you don't even need rudder, but if you stay fairly flat on the tight turns you have to add more rudder based on how tight the turns are. Pretty well real life like the real thing. But I believe I've heard the real cub likes to tip stall. This thing doesn't even think about it. And slow and low and close in like this you can see the stabilization system working easily.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 14, 2012, 08:14 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Important preorder lesson learned!

Aargh! The agony is getting unbearable. You guys are having too much fun!

I share the following information just in case anyone else is still waiting and your circumstances are similar to mine. I don't need any sympathy.

I have yet to receive my Carbon Cub and I had to have one of the very first orders in. I have been away from home working and I assumed it would be there waiting for me. Wrong! I got home and no plane. I called my vendor and asked about it. He found my order. He said they had received some so I must be down the list but they couldn't tell me how far down, just that they were expecting more on the 20th.

Hmm, it wasn't making sense that I wasn't at the top of the list for the first batch???? I started to hang up and then asked one more fortunate question. Even though I thought I had been assured I could put multiple preorder items on a single order I said "you would't be holding that order for any reason would you? I have several preorder items on it.". I had ordered the Carbon Cub, Cub Floats, Ask-21, UMX Mig and Blade 300 X.

He said, well if you preordered several items we won't split the order, we'll wait until all of the items are in. Wow, I was very disappointed and at the same time relieved I had found out why I didn't have my Cub. I swear that isn't what I was told when I asked prior to submitting the order or I certainly wouldn't have combined all of those items on one order.

If I hadn't asked that last question I suspect it would have been 6-7 more months before all of those items were in stock simultaneously!

So, a few minutes later all of those items were split into separate orders and I will get my Cub someday sooner than I would have if I hadn't found out about this little glitch! But I'll have to wait for the next batch.

The dumb thing is they had the floats in stock so with the separate orders now in place the floats shipped that day! Soon I will be able to sit in my easy chair and stare at my floats while I wait for my Cub.

I learned an important lesson about preorders that I hope none of you experience!
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Last edited by NwRcFlight; May 14, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old May 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
Avon,IN
Joined Dec 2007
33 Posts
I received a Cub today to replace the one destroyed by a dead elevator servo. The elevator servo died on the new one about three minutes into the first flight. Luckily it froze up after a landing and I noticed it before I took off. Two planes and two bad elevator servos. I really wish I could get one of these to work.
tsever00 is offline Find More Posts by tsever00
Old May 14, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsever00 View Post
I received a Cub today to replace the one destroyed by a dead elevator servo. The elevator servo died on the new one about three minutes into the first flight. Luckily it froze up after a landing and I noticed it before I took off. Two planes and two bad elevator servos. I really wish I could get one of these to work.
Just bite the bullet, open it up and get some deoxit. Fix it and be done with it. I do wonder where they are getting the replacement ones - from returned ones? They said they were out of stock.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 14, 2012, 09:37 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
I stopped by the flying field today,, flew the Champ first it was really fighting the wind today.. So got out the CC and the DX7.. Turned on the DX7 and nothing,, NOTHING at all.. So took the DX6i and bound the CC into the 300 spot.. All controls worked OK but of course now just have up or down flaps.. CC flew very nice didn't even notice the wind.. Did some flap up and flap down landings both ways are nice..

So now I come home and plug the DX7 charger in,, NOTHING no light nothing.. So pull the battery and it's 10+ volts.. So opened up the DX7 and find a fuse in there.. It's blown like it had a very high load on it.. a good 1/4" gap on the wire with balls on the ends so it was hot and quickly..

So anyone know what the fuse is used to protect?? I don't have any this size on hand so I'll have to pick up some.. But not knowing why it blew makes me wonder if I even want to use this darn DX7 after owning it for a year or two this was the first time I was going to try flying with it as I never really cared for it anyways but wanted to use it for the flaps for the CC..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob