SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2012, 12:11 PM
...into the mists of time...
Joined Jul 2007
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl View Post
To Warhorse, if you read most of the servo problems folks had already dialed back their throws. Examine the servos and you can see the dull sheen that looks like the start of corrosion. Honestly I cleaned all of my servos with DeoxIT and haven't had a problem since, not just the ones that were sticking. I have 15 flights in the last two days with nary a hic up (fingers crossed).
It's quite possible I missed a lot of those posts. At 1500+ I start to "skim" through the thread. I guess I should get a can of DeoxIT since I have several of these UM birds and also the mCP X. They may not all be the exact same type of servos but they all have that open to dirt and corrosion design in common.
Warhorse is offline Find More Posts by Warhorse
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 12:22 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanReidy View Post
I think I see why it rolls left so much, I think my wing is deformed. The trailing edge of the left wing is higher than the right wing. Anybody else have this problem? I'll see if the lhs has any more, I might be bringing this one back.
Yep, that wing doesn't look right, I think you found your problem.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,439 Posts
It turned out that some 1/72 machine screws I had in the workshop fit the plastic fittings and work much better than the soft screws supplied. So, off to the park to try some pontoon flying. After about my third ROW I got the dreaded aileron servo freeze, and it went into a tree. Damage is minimal. What's more concerning is the servos and that they can jam at any time. Time for a call to Horizon Monday.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old May 13, 2012, 12:28 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
I got my Cub, and barely any movement on the elevator and rudder. BUT it seems to be more of a control rod bending problem and not an actuator problem.
They really don't move a lot with the rods in the outter holes as shipped. Not saying your not getting flex but the authority of the tail is quite low the way the factory set it up. I strongly recommend moving the rods in. . It's a whole new plane with some control.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:40 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwsroc240 View Post
Hey guys......

I have a dx7 and I mixed the gear channel to the flap switch to take advantage of the three positions. It works perfectly with no throttle, but with throttle the switch does nothing. For those that have a dx7 any idea where I went wrong? Thanks in advance guys.
I too have the DX7 with three flap settings. On mine I get two stages with the flap switch and the final full stage with the gear switch. There is likely a better way but this was the only way I found to get it working. Had elevator mixed but removed it, not needed for me. As for your trouble, look for other mixes that are cutting your throttle. I bet you have one in there that got activated in one of the other setting screens.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,780 Posts
I was wondering if the DX6i would be able to handle 3 flaps settings also?
MIke
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old May 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Fairfield County, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
Can someone post the mix needed to move the flaps to the flap switch on the DX6i?
Benf207 is offline Find More Posts by Benf207
Old May 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
24 AWG is ~3-4 amps at best. you are asking it to do 3 times what it is rated for. I am not saying don't do it. I do it my self (~double). But it gets WARM. If I am in the room, I do double since I can watch. If I am not, I do 1C and wait. I have to plan ahead so I can get time to fly.

I know I can always buy multiple charge leads and do 2 at a time through my parallel board. But it does get costly at ~10 per charge lead x6 = $60 just on cables. Hard to pull the trigger on that type of $

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Rat RC View Post
Good points. I have one of these.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html

I want to charge HYP 320's @ upwards to 5C so 9.6 amp total running through 24 AWG will be something to be cognizant of.

Is 24 AWG really an issue with that amount of current for 10 minutes or so?

Greg
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old May 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
24 AWG is ~3-4 amps at best. you are asking it to do 3 times what it is rated for. I am not saying don't do it. I do it my self (~double). But it gets WARM. If I am in the room, I do double since I can watch. If I am not, I do 1C and wait. I have to plan ahead so I can get time to fly.

I know I can always buy multiple charge leads and do 2 at a time through my parallel board. But it does get costly at ~10 per charge lead x6 = $60 just on cables. Hard to pull the trigger on that type of $
If you look closely at the wire it is 200 degree C wire which I think is rated at 10 amps, me thinks 9A would be no problem
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old May 13, 2012, 02:24 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
I too have the DX7 with three flap settings. On mine I get two stages with the flap switch and the final full stage with the gear switch. There is likely a better way but this was the only way I found to get it working. Had elevator mixed but removed it, not needed for me. As for your trouble, look for other mixes that are cutting your throttle. I bet you have one in there that got activated in one of the other setting screens.
So you really have 4 flap stages like I do?? Up, 2, 3 and full down? Up, 2 and 3 are by using the flap switch and full by adding the gear switch?
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old May 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanReidy View Post
I think I see why it rolls left so much, I think my wing is deformed. The trailing edge of the left wing is higher than the right wing. Anybody else have this problem? I'll see if the lhs has any more, I might be bringing this one back.
I would check the wing struts very carefully. The left one may have pulled forward in its slot or one of the wires at the wing attachment end is out or it's even possible that the wires are not set into the strut properly.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; May 13, 2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:22 PM
Make the best of all you have
Essen/Germany
Joined Dec 2006
569 Posts
After soldering a new motor in my flap servo from the beginning and inspecting and correcting everything yesterday, I got 3 nice flights today.

The fourth flight ended in a tree - stucked elevator servo...

I mean with all the knowledge of this forum and my personal affort to bring everything to the best standards I wasn't able to prevent my CC from a crash - I'm pi**ed...

Rolf
beetyii is offline Find More Posts by beetyii
Old May 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,478 Posts
Dbl,

Nice video! You're right - at times, the CC looks very full-scale. She surely has no problem getting up on step! I see that she still has enough power to execute a big loop. Is the CG about the same with the floats, or did you find it necessary to move the pack?

Regarding the elevator for speed debate - I am aware that the opposite technique is used with jets. I also agree that combination of the two techniques is usually required in the real world when flying prop planes. Regarding your low & too slow scenario - of course I would add power & relax the elevator just enough to get the wing flying again! In this case, I was referring to flying a 'normal' approach with a typical prop-plane. Most of the regulars on here have heard it many times before, so I simplified my explanation this time - a bit too much, it seems!

I also see the 'high & hot' problem quite often at RC fields. Some RC'ers never seem to get it sorted out. When I learned to fly RC, I spent the majority of my first season working on takeoffs & landings. I went through quite a few gallons of glow fuel shooting touch & goes and practicing forward-slip, side-slip, and crosswind-crab approaches. I am glad that I did, because it has allowed me to fly comfortably in less-than-ideal situations - such as flying ROG from short runways with obstacles on both ends, or flying in crosswinds.

After 30 years flying commercially & 5,000 hrs of instructing, you must have quite a few hours in the log! My dad flew commercially for 34 years after flying P-47s in WWII. He never flew jets or multi-engine, though. Aside from the war, it was all bush-flying & crop-spraying. Lots of night-flying. Back when the local airport was just a sod strip with no lights, my mom would often get a phone call from dad's game-warden partner to head to the airport & light the runway with the car headlights. Sometimes one or two of the local pilots would also show up. When he was on floats, we'd go down to one of the local flying services & get the keys for the customer's cars that were parked their while they were up in the islands. We'd start them up, turn on the headlights, and light up the river so dad would have a reference point on landing.

When I was in junior-high & high-school during the late 60s/early 70s, I had a summer job working for one of the local flying services. I took reservations, ran the VHF radio, and took orders via CB radio for food & supplies from the various islands on the lake. I also cleaned, waxed, and refueled the planes, and helped change oil & such. One of my duties was to check the floats before each flight & pump the compartments, as needed. Often, a couple of my friends would be hanging around. The owner-pilot would sometimes give us bubblegum to chew - but he wanted it back after we got all of the sugar out. He would then use it to temporarily patch small leaks in the floats! At least I think it was temporary! On freight-only flights, the pilots would sometimes come taxiing back to the dock & we'd unload a few things. They'd go back out & try again. On calm days, they'd often call the local fishing launches on the CB & ask them to make some waves to help them break the stiction. I think they sometimes flew in ground-effect, as the flights were over water. One time during the winter, I happened to notice the owner landing on the river with a Super Cub in a very strong headwind. He came down at nearly zero ground-speed & basically flew it on the ice to the dock. Problem was, he couldn't tie it down. I ran out to help. He held the plane still with a bit of throttle while I tied one wing down to keep it from sliding backward on the ice. I was very careful to stay behind the struts - but thinking back on it, that was a very dangerous thing do do! Another time, he had to put a Cessna 180 on floats down in a grass field. The local A&P mechanic fixed the problem on-site & checked the floats for damage. Now he had to get the plane out of the field. The pilot recruited a local farmer, who pulled the plane to the end of the field that would most likely result in a headwind. He waited until the morning after a good rain. They tied the tail to a large tree. The idea was to have the farmer cut the rope with an axe when given the signal. The pilot ran it up a few times, and then gave the signal. The farmer cut the rope & the 180 took off without incident.

Local aviation was quite different back then.....

Back to the CC - I wonder if the lack of elevator authority is due to pushrod flex. I remember someone reported seeing pushrod flex after opening-up their plane, and mentioned adding guides. Back when the original Sukhoi 26m came out, a number of us added pushrod guides. They made a significant improvement in elevator & rudder authority. Would be great if that's all it would take to get the CC to do a nice flare.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Last edited by turboparker; May 13, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
So you really have 4 flap stages like I do?? Up, 2, 3 and full down? Up, 2 and 3 are by using the flap switch and full by adding the gear switch?
Yes, like that, wasn't counting "up" as a position . So yes, I have four.
Old May 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
305 Posts
I do spoilerons on my funcub for super slow landings and what seems like better control at higher angles of attack. Does anyone know if it is possible to do spoilerons on the cc?
Rooster433 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster433