HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 07:19 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanReidy View Post
Just got back from the field where I put in 2 more flights, mine needs constant right aileron and up elevator when at speed. I tried different positions of the battery, but when I go hands off, it just wants to roll left and dive. Not liking this plane very much. It's not fun to fly something constantly having to hold the right stick so it doesn't crash. Maybe my thrust angle is wrong or as3x isn't working right. All surfaces are centered on the ground.
Did you check the CG? It should balance 27mm back from the leading edge of the wing. Could be rolling left from either the ailerons or more likely the rudder. Check the rudder closely, mine will sit after putting the battery in with some right rudder, then it will center after the throttle is brought up a bit and cut. The AS3X is then active ( if you move the plane by hand, it will respond) and the rudder will go back to center. Try that and see if all surfaces are centered then. I have tried to center all trims and rebind it but it still works this way. Also make sure you centered your trims when you bound yours and that your not using more than a click or two of trim when you fly it. If too much trim has been applied to center the controls, the AS3X may be putting in some unwanted control input causing your problem.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Jan 2012
802 Posts
CC maiden

The first two had servo issues but the 3rd one was a charm. Plopped a hyp 240 in..about 1/2 inch away from the rear of the tray and it flew just fine.
Need more rudder throw but overall an easy to fly plane that and handle 10mph winds.
Pilot Fatigue is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
Old May 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asosestrom View Post
Spent the morning at a local abandoned airport practicing this technique. Thanks Joel Can't say that I get it right every time, but I had a great time just working on this skill. Lots of landings and touch and goes.

I am liking this plane more and more each day. I have a couple of hyperion 320mAh packs that are quickly becomming my favorite. I was getting 18 minutes of low and slow before they started lagging a bit. The extra weight was no problem at all.

I put Dubro lite 1.5 inch wheels which help out with the ground looping.
Asosestrom,

You're welcome! Glad it's working out for you. After awhile, it will become automatic. As I am fond of saying - 'the takeoff & landing make up two-thirds of the flight; take the time to get 'em right.'

Yeah, I love the Hyp 320s in this bird. In dead-calm conditions, I do prefer my Hyp 240s - but the Hyp 320s are otherwise my favorite. I'm getting 15 minutes of scale-ish flying and touch & goes to the 80% discharge point.

Just got back from the field. Spent the entire day there. What a great flying day! There were at least six 33% & three 38% ships there today - plus a couple of giant-scale warbirds, a couple of 1/4-scale aerobats, and a beautiful 60-size WWI bipe done in fabric. Must have been 'maiden day'. A 38% Extra 330 maidened, along with a 33% Yak 54, a 33% Edge 540, and the WWI bipe, and a 50-size Denight Special. I brought the CC & Beast 3D, along with a couple of larger planes. None of the guys had seen the CC or B3D fly. As I was heading to the runway with the Beast 3D, one of them commented that the wind was way to strong for such a small plane. I said "nah - 20-30 MPH winds are no problem for this plane". I then did stationary rolls & snaps, stationary KE, stationary inverted flight - all just 3-4 feet off the asphalt. The guys were impressed.

I got there around 9 AM, before the wind picked up - so I could work on my full-flap landings & scale roll-outs with the CC. I finally got to the point where I can do decent clean & dirty two-wheel landings with the tail flying all the way down to a couple MPH. Here's what I have found:

1) Getting the CG right is essential. This plane is very sensitive to CG changes. A 1-2 mm shift makes a very noticeable difference in handling.

2) Due to the crappy Reynolds numbers, the CC needs to be flown all the way down to the tarmac - even when using partial flaps.

3) The plane's behavior when slow-flying with partial flaps is directly dependent upon the CG. If the plane feels mushy in the roll & yaw axes when flying with say, half-flaps - move the CG forward a bit.

4) For scale roll-outs, keep just a little bit of power on, then slowly close the throttle & let the tail come down on its own. No ground-loops, and the two-wheel landings look great.

Got a lot of compliments on the CC from the guys in the club. They were all very aware of how smooth it flew & how 'big' it looked in flight. A couple or the giant-scale guys commented that it looked a lot like a large-scale Cub that was further away.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 08:12 PM
Dbl
United States, MN, New Hope
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
After getting servos operating on Cub #2 I ran about 7 batteries through it. This is a very nice flying airplane. Rock solid in a breeze, easy to takeoff. Bit harder to keep going straight on landing. Flew on floats as well, landings into the wind, crosswind no problems. More than 5mph wind and a bit of chop with a crosswind landing and you might get into a bit of trouble due to the narrow distance between the floats.
Dbl is online now Find More Posts by Dbl
Old May 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
sad story

I just finished my maiden flight which went quite well. The plane needed about 5 clicks of up trim and 2 clicks to the left (aileron). I noticed that the Cub needs a lot of rudder to get a sharp turn in. After the flight, I headed home to make some changes and work on setting up my flaps. Unfortunately, while attempting to manually center the linkages the elevator locked up and I lost radio control of it. I was able to manually "un-lock" the elevator linkage to a neutral position - the elevator servo does not respond anymore I had a similar problem (non-responding servo) with the Beast 3D, but it was the rudder. I sent it back and Horizon Hobby replaced it, but I had to wait 2 months for a replacement ! I really wanted to get a last minute flight tonight to enjoy the navigation lights and try-out the flaps. Any advice out there? Should I just send it in for replacement?

Appreciate any help,

Justin
jrider36 is offline Find More Posts by jrider36
Old May 12, 2012, 09:36 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Hi fellers, been a while since I posted here at RCG, but been watching this thread and anxiously awaiting our beloved little CC. So I too just got in my first three flights last evening and am quite pleased with it as I expected I would.
Going out again this evening but im waiting on dusk this time so I can enjoy those wonderful lights.
This is actually the first plane I'll ever have flown equipped with flaps so im sure it'll take some practice to get used to landing with them I tried them last yesterday on the last flight and well, like I said, will take some getting used to. MainlyI think I need to be sharper on descent control once they are deployed.
Also what I'd like to do is, and I think I can on my radio(JRX9503) is to reassign one of the levers to the gear channel. Or whatever need be to get that result, having the flaps controlled by the shoulder lever instead of the switch and so allow partial flaps to be used. And in so doing be able to gradually apply them instead of the sudden way it goes to full flap by the switch.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old May 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
Cloverdale, VA
Joined Nov 2009
44 Posts
took half day off yesterday to go and fly my CC... what a great plane!! so smooth in the wind, this is definitely a keeper! Gonna have to get me some more 2s batts!!
BuckarooVT90 is offline Find More Posts by BuckarooVT90
Old May 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
It seems that multiple-battery parallel-charging cables, such as that one, are working out ok for many folks.

But.........I thought --- correct me if I'm wrong, here -- that one of the considerations is that there can be problems unless all of the batteries intended to be charged are at approximately the same level of discharge.

And getting charge readings on UM batteries can be problematic.

Rather than get into that tall grass, I've stayed with charging only one battery per charger.

Is there a definitive answer to the question of whether my concern is unfounded?

Dave

Dave,

Greetings and salutations from BabbelBatt land.

Just say 'NO' to parallel charging, doom and/or gloom.

Have you seen this parallel charge test that David ran a few years ago??
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=264

Quality batts make a big difference.

I've found this statement to be very true...

"Anyway, it is still best practice to be careful about connecting cells which have been discharged to "about" the same point, but no need to stress about it if they are anywhere close."

rc
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 09:54 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbl View Post
After getting servos operating on Cub #2 I ran about 7 batteries through it. This is a very nice flying airplane. Rock solid in a breeze, easy to takeoff. Bit harder to keep going straight on landing. Flew on floats as well, landings into the wind, crosswind no problems. More than 5mph wind and a bit of chop with a crosswind landing and you might get into a bit of trouble due to the narrow distance between the floats.
Dbl,

Great pics - especially the water shots! There's just something about a Cub on floats....

I haven't had a chance to fly mine on floats. I was wondering about maneuverability at taxi speeds without a water rudder. How's the rudder authority? Did you need to blip the throttle a bit to initiate a turn?

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 09:55 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
so I just ordered up one of the parallel charging adapters and some hyperion 240mah packs, what is a good charge rate to use, do you crank it up for every pack you add? I was thinking like 350mah per pack I charge so for 3 packs I would charge at say 1amp?

bigemike,

Hyperion recommends that the first 5 uses are limited to 3C charge rates, and that pilots use throttle management to avoid long periods of max-rate discharge for those first 5 flights.
5~6C charge rates are ok after that.
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/

Just think of the batts that you are about to parallel charge, as one large pack.

5) 240mAh packs = 1) 1200mAh pack. (5x240)

If you want to charge those 5) 240s at 3C... 1200x3=3600 (Charge rate is 3.6Amp)

This old post about parallel charging 1S packs should help.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2729

Shoot me a PM anytime if you have additional questions.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/priva...=newpm&u=54990

rc

ps...Want more info?
http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguy...allel-charging

This pic illustrates parallel charging very well...
RCBABBEL is offline Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCBABBEL; May 12, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
USA, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
359 Posts
Wow as of to-nite the survey has about 50% of voters with server problems!

Now i realize that this is in no way a random sample and that people with problems have a higher response rate than satisfied folks.

But this is really making me rethink getting this plane...

Seems to me HH should at least talk about this problem here one way or another? I mean what return rate they are seeing and if there IS a problem how they are addressing it?

and if you haven't voted maybe do so ?
texbird is offline Find More Posts by texbird
Old May 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2008
313 Posts
What is interesting to me regarding parallel charge leads is they are all made of very small awg wires. With the standard 1C charge on such a small batt, I guess it is not really an issue. However, with every one advocating on "quality" packs that are fully capable at 5C charge, the AMP adds up.

The popular beast 180mah x 6 batts x 5C charge is 5.4 amps which is about 22 awg minimum. The possible next growing trend of 320mah ... x 6 x 5C tops 9.6 amps which is about 20 awg minimum.

However, all the charge leads are all 24/26 range. I am using my self as example since this is how I normally charge (I don't charge when flying so I charge all my batts prior for the session).

I guess I can slow down and just do a couple at a time... but then what's the point of 5C when I have to do batches.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will point out what I am missing.
jseeker101 is offline Find More Posts by jseeker101
Old May 12, 2012, 10:49 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Well CC two flew great for two flights, had some nice slow flying and did some tight rolls and SLOW fly bys. Third flight I was wringing her out doing rolls and loops. And then I get what looks like a dead duck falling out of the sky! The good part is that there was near zero damage as it landing in some nice fluffy grass. Found out it was the aileron servo this time, she stuck and caused a brown situation. I did pick up the Deoxit and shot the aileron with the stuff and it works perfectly now.

I am trying to figure out whether I want to open her up and shoot the elevator, rudder, and flap servo with Deoxit just for good measure. I am thinking that if the aileron servo had issues that the others can't be far behind.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old May 12, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Asosestrom,

I got there around 9 AM, before the wind picked up - so I could work on my full-flap landings & scale roll-outs with the CC. I finally got to the point where I can do decent clean & dirty two-wheel landings with the tail flying all the way down to a couple MPH. Here's what I have found:

1) Getting the CG right is essential. This plane is very sensitive to CG changes. A 1-2 mm shift makes a very noticeable difference in handling.

2) Due to the crappy Reynolds numbers, the CC needs to be flown all the way down to the tarmac - even when using partial flaps.

3) The plane's behavior when slow-flying with partial flaps is directly dependent upon the CG. If the plane feels mushy in the roll & yaw axes when flying with say, half-flaps - move the CG forward a bit.

4) For scale roll-outs, keep just a little bit of power on, then slowly close the throttle & let the tail come down on its own. No ground-loops, and the two-wheel landings look great.

Got a lot of compliments on the CC from the guys in the club. They were all very aware of how smooth it flew & how 'big' it looked in flight. A couple or the giant-scale guys commented that it looked a lot like a large-scale Cub that was further away.

Joel
Joel, sound like you are landing it my way now. Thus far, landings have been the best part of my experience with the cc, but I always fly my planes all the way to the ground, just the way I started. I managed to have a senior moment and crunch mine today. Had been flying my Carbon Z on low rates and went to the cub and forgot to put transmitter back on high rates - made a dumb thumb move and didn't have enough authority on controls to save it. If I had not had to overcome the gyro first, could have made it I think. Not bad though, all fixed now. Flimsy prop adapter broke and prop went over the top and crunched up the hood over the motor area and cracked one wing right at the fuse. At least I've now got my ICU prop adapter in it so won't break that again when I have another senior moment. I will second the point of it being touchy on cg. There was another guy at the field this morning that got another one out of the same batch at the lhs and he didn't even bring it and was totally fed up with it. I tried to stress the cg issue and was going to demonstrate until I ended my cc cub flying early like I did. Also, breeze picked up to 12-14 mph and I wanted to fly it so bad it hurt to see the gyro in action.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old May 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseeker101 View Post
What is interesting to me regarding parallel charge leads is they are all made of very small awg wires. With the standard 1C charge on such a small batt, I guess it is not really an issue. However, with every one advocating on "quality" packs that are fully capable at 5C charge, the AMP adds up.

The popular beast 180mah x 6 batts x 5C charge is 5.4 amps which is about 22 awg minimum. The possible next growing trend of 320mah ... x 6 x 5C tops 9.6 amps which is about 20 awg minimum.

However, all the charge leads are all 24/26 range. I am using my self as example since this is how I normally charge (I don't charge when flying so I charge all my batts prior for the session).

I guess I can slow down and just do a couple at a time... but then what's the point of 5C when I have to do batches.

I am sure someone more knowledgeable than me will point out what I am missing.
Good points. I have one of these.

http://www.progressiverc.com/paralle...beast-umx.html

I want to charge HYP 320's @ upwards to 5C so 9.6 amp total running through 24 AWG will be something to be cognizant of.

Is 24 AWG really an issue with that amount of current for 10 minutes or so?

Greg
Tree Rat RC is offline Find More Posts by Tree Rat RC