Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuglas69 View Post
would keeping the flaps down for the first couple of flights be good?
You are probably better off leaving the flaps up until you are comfortable flying it. Flaps won,t make it easier to fly.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Jul 2010
36 Posts
Alright I wasnt sure.
Thanks
stuglas69 is offline Find More Posts by stuglas69
Old May 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
...I just maidened mine! It flew just great, very nice and stable, like a real Cub. It requires rudder when flying curves, it was looking great in the slowly growing dawn. The lights are the cream on the pie! About 4 min in the flight disaster struck, I lost control on the elevator and ended up in a tree!!! Got her out with only a few scratches though. Back at home I investigated...and I can hear the servo motor inside the plane running as soon as it gets power. So it looks like the gear is stripped Not to blame Horizon...s h i t happens...but this one will unfortunately be a warranty case. Back in the box I am afraid and into the post...

cheers
Uwe

PS: Looking forward to the replacement...
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
Old May 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Here's a picture of the wind sock yesterday.

The wind sock stood straight out sometimes, but the impressive thing was that the pole itself was shaking.

I maidened in a lull, but the wind came up full strength. At times I could hang motionless. I did a 3/4 throttle pass and flew by hands off to show a friend. Since the Cub was still untrimmed it gradually banked left. I corrected and my friend' comment was, "Wow, those gyros are GREAT." I said, "No Lou, that was me."

All in all the hands off pass was probably close to thirty seconds.

I think I got in three flights and put the Cub away before I took it out for a single circuit to demo for another friend. Then, with the gentlest of nose-over flips I broke the prop. Managed to have it drop out of my pocket and lose itself too.

Fortunately I have a couple of GWS 5030's and am ordering a couple of prop adapters and spinners. (for the Sbach as well!)

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old May 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlcap View Post
That's a bummer, I've nosed over in the grass a bunch of times, it's always with the throttle off on roll out though. If I do it right, I stay in the semi-bare spots on the grass and the landings are fine. She won't handle much grass even with 1.5 inch wheels.
Ain't no such thing as bare spots on this field. The place looks like a country club. One of our members maintains a golf course and another was chief horticulturist of the New York Botanical Gardens so our field and the grass is in excellent condition. It also gets mowed twice a week during the flying season.

Wonderful place, but not for ultra micro.

Still, the first few landings I stayed upright. The forward speed was slow enough to just settle in without flipping.

The plane is very pleasant to fly. I look forward to trying it under calm conditions and seeing if I can get better rolls out of it and also if I can get it to spin.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
northampton uk
Joined Jul 2002
69 Posts
Right browned off

Really pleased to pick up my carbon cub today and as luck would have it, the wind which had been blowing all day dropped to nothing. Perfect for a maiden flight. Battery charged, and away we go. Fabulous gentle climb out up to a safe altitude and a couple of gentle circuits of the field, then a really slow decent and flare into the grass. At this point, I know that this is one of my favourite planes.
So, another launch and another few circuits then i lose control of the elevator, nothing but a huge stall into the ground. Prop adaptor snapped and the whole nose in bits.
Do I contact HH here in the UK or go back to the shop?
joff is offline Find More Posts by joff
Old May 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
In the first instance I think I would contact the shop and see what they say.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old May 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
northampton uk
Joined Jul 2002
69 Posts
Thanks Roblister, I'll give them a call on Monday. It's So frustrating, especially when the weather is perfect!
joff is offline Find More Posts by joff
Old May 12, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
I've read this several times now. Always the elevator, never the ailerons or any other control.

Mine flew great but I did manage to break the prop adapter.

Now that I have this I am doubly anxious for the ASK-21.

Also dreaming about flying it on the huge lake near a friend's house in Vermont.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Still have not gotten out to maiden this plane yet.

Is it recommended that I start at high rates with rudder/elevator position moved further to inner holes?

I set up low and high rates on the plane but sounds like this plane needs high rates only, and even then there is not enough elevator and or rudder authority.
The plane will be okay the the rods as delivered but in my opinion, they fall short. The rudder and elevator have little authority and setting low rates is fairly likely to get you in trouble. I am now at second hole out for all surfaces except rudder, it's third hole out but I may move it too. I set about +30 expo on ailerons just to keep me smooth but it's not necessary. Getting a much faster roll with the ailerons now.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old May 12, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
question about manuel just got plan five mins ago!!!

Should i fly 70% rates on elevator, rudder,ailerons or 100% the manuel doesnt say and it is a as3x plane also i can fly pretty well used to acrobatic planes beast 3d,umx sbach,parkzone wildcat,mustang and i fly pretty good i can even hover the beast 3d everynow and then and i fly pretty well im not going to mess with flaps now should i go 70% on all surfaces?or 100% high rates? Want to go there is zero wind right now in Va where im at.
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
Old May 12, 2012, 04:02 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Ain't no such thing as bare spots on this field. The place looks like a country club. One of our members maintains a golf course and another was chief horticulturist of the New York Botanical Gardens so our field and the grass is in excellent condition. It also gets mowed twice a week during the flying season.

Wonderful place, but not for ultra micro.

Still, the first few landings I stayed upright. The forward speed was slow enough to just settle in without flipping.

The plane is very pleasant to fly. I look forward to trying it under calm conditions and seeing if I can get better rolls out of it and also if I can get it to spin.

Pete
If I miss the bare spots in the grass and hit the deeper stuff I flip over almost every time. I'm always throttle off at that point so nothing happens to anything. The tail feathers are pretty delicate and I have added packing tape strips to mine and that has stiffened them up well. Especially the tips.

Four flights today and I opened up the fuse after the first two, flaps were down a few degrees and I got the rod spread a bit to line them up with the wing. Was actually noticeably faster in normal flight. I use three positions for flaps and the first is maybe 10 degrees, slows her a lot! Second position allows a very steep descent and full is like an elevator car. Took the time with her open to watch the rods on the tail move, no trouble or flexing. Used thin tape strips to close her back up, magnets don't really look like an easy option to install. I had to cut the Velcro inside the battery bay to get her apart BTW. The upper bay is part of the wing assembly and the Velcro will hold it together after you have cut the clear outside tape.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
Answer is above me but id like to here others before i take the cub up,move control rod postions which hole on ailerons? Thanks Drew
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
Old May 12, 2012, 04:05 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Should i fly 70% rates on elevator, rudder,ailerons or 100% the manuel doesnt say and it is a as3x plane also i can fly pretty well used to acrobatic planes beast 3d,umx sbach,parkzone wildcat,mustang and i fly pretty good i can even hover the beast 3d everynow and then and i fly pretty well im not going to mess with flaps now should i go 70% on all surfaces?or 100% high rates? Want to go there is zero wind right now in Va where im at.
Sounds like you won't have any problems on full rates. I'm still in the early intermediate skill level range and I found full rates are barely enough especially if your going to do any aerobatics! You will likely be moving the rods in after a couple flights too. I moved my elevator to the second hole this morning after trying inverted flight, wasn't enough down elevator to keep her level, had to roll out pretty quickly since I was only about 40-50 feet up.
Old May 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Answer is above me but id like to here others before i take the cub up,move control rod postions which hole on ailerons? Thanks Drew
Second hole out from the surfaces. It's flyable fine without doing this but I don't recommend lowering the rates. I would say the CC is setup with low control authority out of the box already. Reducing it isn't needed and after a few flights you may want more control that it's got with the rods so far out. Just my opinion, if you fly scale and do nothing but a loop here and there it's just enough for that.