HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:23 AM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i'm running G-Force 1800MaH batteries from valuehobby. i have my timer set for 6 minutes, but i did run one to LVC just to check the time. i got right at 9 minutes, landed, and hit LVC on the taxi back. total time with battery plugged up (including taxi out, flight, and taxi back) was 10 minutes, 18 seconds.

on a 2100MaH i borrowed from my brother, i got 12 minutes of flight. after flight i checked the battery and it was 3.71v.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:27 AM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,271 Posts
I forgot to pick up a spare prop for this bird, but I do have a spare 10 x 7 in my bag. Hopefully my maiden will go well and not need a prop swap, but if I do will this work OK with out causing any electrical damage? I don't have a Watt meter and for my planes I to stick to the stock configuration to keep my ESC from burning out.

I am still getting use to electrical motors from Glow planes so I probable worry about stuff too much.
jrtubb is offline Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:59 PM
Sweden, Gävleborg County, Gävle
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
Prop and ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
I forgot to pick up a spare prop for this bird, but I do have a spare 10 x 7 in my bag. Hopefully my maiden will go well and not need a prop swap, but if I do will this work OK with out causing any electrical damage? I don't have a Watt meter and for my planes I to stick to the stock configuration to keep my ESC from burning out.

I am still getting use to electrical motors from Glow planes so I probable worry about stuff too much.
Hi
I'm using a Graupner Cam 12,5 x 6. Better thrust and more quiet. 22A on the wattmeter wich is exactely the same as stock 10x8.
Also using 2200 MhA Overlander Perfect balanced with about 9 min flyingtime with MrRc Sound Mini and 3 speakers.
Dont fly too slow when turning and use both alerions and rudder then she will fly clean. Some motor on low rpm when landing and cut off to get the lat float and she sets on all 3
Cheers
Lasse
lassehellsten is offline Find More Posts by lassehellsten
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:50 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,271 Posts
First Flight

Successful first flight! My son and I made it to the field at 5 PM, but I forgot that with the recent switch to daylight saving it was getting darker sooner! We wouldn't have much time, but we wanted to go for it!

With light fading fast, and the field all to our self, I range checked the Orange RX with no problems. I made some taxi test runs and then lined her up with the center line of the runway. I slowly advanced the throttle and noted she tracked very straight with very little rudder input. I had take off at about 3/4 throttle and the left wing briefly touched down as it seemed to need right trim.

I went full throttle and feed right stick input as I got some altitude before trimming her out. Once trimmed with right aileron and some up elevator she was flying very nice and smooth. I did some nice loops and set up for some approaches. My first landing was no problem and keeping elevator up on touch down made for a nice 3 point landing. I took off again and flew a bit more, but the light was fading too fast so I brought he back in for a second 3 point landing.

Oh the best part of the flight was my 8 year old son grabbed his Firebird Stratos and was flying with me for the first time with our 'big' planes. His young eyes were much better then mine and he was having a ball practicing touch and goes! Only had time for about 10 minutes of flying but it was a great 10 minutes!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:19 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
man that's awesome to hear. glad your son is enjoying the hobby with you.

did you notice that the albatros likes a little rudder when it turns? it really makes it look scale.

i can't get a decent loop out of my plane yet. it washes out about half way thru. i'm working on using some rudder inputs during the loop to keep the tail tracking straight thru, but it's gonna take some practice for me.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,886 Posts
hoghead5150,
I tried rudder while looping but had better luck using just a bit of right aileron on my plane. Mine likes to roll out of the loop at the top if I don't correct.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,271 Posts
Just put 7 flights in on the Albatros at our field, much better in the daylight

Loops are still a work in progress, I tried working in right rudder at the top, but I need more practice. Scale turns are much better with cordinated rudder input, I did set a mix on the gear switch to play with it some. Also I found the max throws to be a bit much for scale like flying so I played with my low rates.

I did 20 touch and goes while flying just to get better at ground handling and approaches. Most were ok, but did drag the wing tips a few times I found having rudder at 75% on low rate on landings helped me not over correct.

Only thing I really don't like is the gray colored bottom wings. I saw the new Eflight Abatros had a multi patch color on the bottom of the wings and I wonder if that would be better for visual orientation.

Overall I had a great time with the Albatros today and it well being getting more love
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:10 PM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,271 Posts
Oh I only have two 2200 and one 2100, scale like flying was an easy 10 minutes with volts left at 11. More spirited flying had me down to 9.4 volts and a pulsing motor right at 8 minutes when my timer went off. I think I'm going to stick with 2200 packs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,388 Posts
JRTUBB-Congrats on maiden and other flights! I envy you that you have a young son to fly with. Maybe in time my 5 year old daughter will get over my little pony and fly with her daddy!
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: kev's new fms fw-190
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:04 AM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
I hope for the best for you and your daughter... but ny 14 year old Nephew is still stuck on My Little Ponies... so unless you put a motor and a prop on a pony it might never happen
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:57 AM
Somewhere in the Black Forest
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
Kevin & Aphro & me = The Three Amigos My 15year old Son was a really talented model pilot just a mere two years ago. And now? He`s a "Brony" He flew this beautiful GWS Zero which I built for him and did things with her that almost led me to a heart attack Too sad it's over now.
Aphro, a question from my Son to you. Is your Nephew on Skype? He would like to contact him- you know - MLP
I know this is off topic but I'm just a desperate Father (no, just kidding)

Frank
Kauz is offline Find More Posts by Kauz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Albatros DV.a....the third ;-)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:07 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
797 Posts
Wow Frank
LOL you guys are too much there is always hope. Mine is 17 yrs old but still graces me with her company to the field ( Dad comes in 2nd to the Boyfriend) but we had a great year, and she got some Amazing photos of my planes this year, plus some great memories
mustangloyd is offline Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
You're a lucky one Loyd As I told you sometime before, I'm the only modeler here in my teeny weeny small village and it would be so much fun to fly dogfights together with my Son. But maybe one day when puberty ends....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:30 AM
I Fly!
Joined Jan 2011
1,271 Posts
Make a pink plane for your girls! I did that for a girlfriend in high school and then she was excited to fly with me! In all serious there is a couple of younger girls at our field and their planes are girly and lots of pink. I'm not sure I could do that to an Albatros...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joined Oct 2009
440 Posts
You mean something like this? This aircraft was real in WW-II and was used for photo reconnaissance purposes. The pink colour was supposed to blend with the sometimes reddish tone that clouds have at certain times of day. Anyway, real or not, I'm not sure either if I could do this to one of my models ....

Frank
RCG Plus Member