HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by anj4de, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:08 AM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Discussion
Nürnberg Toy Fair 2012

Hello everybody

I am back from Nürnberg, it was a long day, I am tired any my feet hurt...but it was worth it as it is very year. So here are my impressions of the show. As I said before, I only took pictures of things that really interest me or that I though were off the normal. All in all it was not as full as last year and I also got the impression there were less new releases over all. For me personally it was a good show, I got so see and touch what I wanted to...
So lets start with the company that I think right now it the most innovative...the "Apple" amongst the RC companies. I think this tittle rightfully goes to Horizon Hobby and their various brand names. Here I came to see the new PZ and E-Flite foamies. An I got to see something...
1. The new PZ Albatross
Ohh, what a beauty she is...I could hardly hold myself back from nicking her right there...would I have gotten out, I doubt it The plane is even nicer detailed than the SE5a. The foam has a very smooth surface but seems of a good solid quality. I could not spot any large mold marks. The paint is flat and this time not sticky, so we have an improvement here. The decals on the bird I saw were remarkable, I think they were water slides...or something even more funky. I could not spot any carrier film and the decals appear super thin, like painted on. So a big for this! The prop now seems to have wood grain molded into it from the start, the same grainy prop was also mounted on the SE5a next to the Albatross...a series 2 modification? The servos are boxed in plastic housings and the wings do definitely have spars! The engine is a sight to see, really nicely detailed and crying out loud for some gifted people who will swing their fine brushes and open their paint cans to really bring it to life. The pilot looks European now and he has no grin in his face any more. Again, with a little extra paint he will look fantastic. I especially like the light gray rubber tires...a very nice touch. All in all this bird will be a major success, I am sure. Horizon said it would be available in April…which I do not believe. Dave and Co…please prove me wrong and I will by the beers!
Here are some pictures...

Next, my second favorite...the Cub Crafters "Carbon Cub" UMX...a fantastic little plane that I have to get for sure. This one is all you can wish for in the UMX segment, 5 channel with position and landing light. Together with the AS3X this should be a real fun airplane to fly. The lighting system has been realized by tiny little SMD LEDs that are glued to the wings. Unfortunately this model was suspended from the ceiling and hence I could not fiddle around with it. Two points of criticism on this one though...HH would not sell me this bird right away and (IMHO) it MUST have bigger wheels When I get it I will try to mount the E-Flite Grasshopper ones, those should make for some great Tundra wheels. Available on Feb.28th…is what the lady said. Wouldn’t it be nice?
Pictures...

Next on my wish list...a jet, so far not having had the guts to get an EDF I think I will buy this one though. Again, Horizon...the UMX Mig15. It's a touch larger than I thought which I like and it looks very scale! The most amazing thing about it is the air intake...no overly large hole in the front to start with but it gets even better. The inside of the ducting has the spacer for the cockpit and the front wheel housing just like the original and the airplane has no cheater holes. I am looking forward to this one really...What I do not like are the open servos on the bottom of the wings, here nice streamlined covers would have made the look perfect...but maybe the aftermarket will come to the rescue. I am also not a fan of the red livery...but you really can't argue about personal taste. Mine will look very good in an Egyptian camo scheme
Pictures...

Away from Horizon and over to...wait, what did I spot there...yes, it really is the sales stand of FSK from the Czech Republic. Good to see them here. The guys on site were super friendly and showed my all I wanted to see. The best news is that their super scale planes are now 90% assembled in the box! Also the canopies are now one piece and pre-painted. The kits also are being offered as combos with all electronics included. The new V2 series also now has individual aileron servos! What is left to do is to install the electronic bits, put a battery and RX in and go flying...Once you have maidend you can than add the other bits and pieces like external fuel tanks, pilot, decals, etc...All singe engines planes are now available in the V2 version. I had a close look at the FW-190A and the Antonov AN2. The AN2 I like especially since the "flying refrigerator" as we call is a fantastic jump ship for my parachuting. Jumped it twice last year, it's really super cool! Have a look at the new FSK V2 planes...

...so after the little detour to FSK I was reaching the site of "Century UK" who are, as far as I know, the only regular distributor for Art Tech in Europe. I was going there to have a look at the new Mustang and AT6. What I found is what I think is the most interesting new fighter in the popular 1m WS class (trunk size for every day) and what a choice it is. How long did we wait for a good...Hawker Hurricane? Windrider…delayed for a year, E-Flite...delayed for 6 months… Now, there seems to be one on it's way in the smaller size. Like all the new Art Tech birds it's finally made of EPO. It's as I said 1mWS, has a 3-bladed prop, electric retracts and nav lights! No flaps...but this is not an issue in this size I think. The overall appearance is very scale. Nothing can be said about the paint scheme yet since the example on show is a prototype, hand painted...also heavily flown already which can be seen by all the scuffs and the decals that already fall off...So try to look under the paint. I think it will become a popular bird once it is available. The Mustang was hanging too high up to get decent pictures. The other really nice Art Tech bird (for me) is the AT-6 in 130mm WS, it comes with retracts, split flaps and lights, it also has a nicely detailed cockpit and overall looks super good. And...in the all Chinese Art Tech catalog it is shown in three different color schemes. All yellow, all silver with red cowling and tail and a gray one with a red/yellow tail.
I personally think Art Tech has a lot of nice planes and after they have finally found the way to EPO they deserve a large fan base...only the distribution network here in Europe is very bad and hence a lot of RC pilots do not even know Art Tech...

Okay folks…last but not least…here is the obsoletely nicest bird on the whole show (for me)! Having always had a fable for bush flying up north in Canada and Alaska, I love Super Cubs with Tundra wheels, old beaten Cessna 185s, C-47s and C-46s, etc…you know what I mean? So here it comes, the stunning scale 1500mm WS DHC-2 Beaver. I first spotted it a couple of days ago in the “news” catalog of the German distributor Robbe. I have posted it on RCG here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=beaver
At the toy fair I was hence walking over to Robbe to have a closer look. But…the Beaver was suspended from the ceiling in the VIP area and even though they let me in for a short moment I could not get any better pictures than those I have already found on the web

What I did see was that the paint job, the blue, was not done too well but never the less the plane looked stunning. So I left Robbe a bit disappointed and carried on walking through the large RC hall. Then it all of a sudden hit me…there was the Beaver again, at the Ripmax display http://www2.ripmax.net/
I ran towards it and yes, it was the very same Beaver that Robbe offers but in a different, better, paint scheme. And it was sitting on a table…or better, they were sitting on a table, both of them the land based one and the float version. The “gut feeling” that I had when I saw the first pictures of the Robbe version turned out to be true, this is not a Robbe bird but one of the well-known ST Model company. ST already made quite a few very nice planes, the well-known C-182 in both wheels and float version and also the very nice Piper Cub. The Beaver has to be considered their master piece so far. The outlines look super scale, the foam is very solid and absolutely smooth. The ailerons and flaps have plastic hinges and have hidden push rods. The LG legs on the land version seem to be steel, very tough…and the float set is also supported by all metal suspension. The side windows on the fuselage are even bulged outward a bit like on the real bird and inside we find a cockpit with seats that just needs some paint and a pilot to be perfect. The plane is very light for it’s large size but also very solid. I was able to inspect it very closely and it currently is No.1 on my shopping list…the ST version that is. According to Ripmax it is already “on the water” and should be available in about 4-5 weeks. Have a look at the pictures and please share you comments…all opinions welcome!

This concludes the report for now, more impressions maybe later. I still have some more unsorted pictures on different subjects…but let’s first discuss my main objects of desire…

Cheers
Uwe
anj4de is offline Find More Posts by anj4de
Last edited by anj4de; Feb 06, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Back from Nürnberg

Last edited by anj4de; Feb 06, 2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:30 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Thanks for the great report Uwe. I was especially looking forward for info on FSK. Great pictures from their products. That 190 looks really, really nice.

Cheers
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old Feb 05, 2012, 04:49 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,468 Posts
Wow, would love to have that second Beaver some day! Will first have to do my training with the UMX CC SS with floats
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2012, 05:08 PM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Same Beaver...even different Color Scheme! very nice...

http://www.modellhobby.de/Modelle/Fl...=11304&p=11304

cheers
Uwe
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:03 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Uwe, thanks for posting the pics....yeah gotta have that ripmax beaver even has the maple leaf on it for me lol.

I just hope they did the math on the float set up and it will get off the water proper (had a nightmare C185 foamie on floats wouldn't get off the water) other than that I really like it and hope to get it.

Who sells ripmax in the US or even better Canada?

And the PZ alby look sweet, thanks again Uwe.

Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:43 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,451 Posts
Very nice report! Thanks!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:41 AM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Very nice pictures!
If I was there I would have grabbed the Mig 15 and made a run for the door!
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:00 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,534 Posts
How is the weather in Nürnberg this year?

Ming
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:33 AM
Bavaria, Germany
Joined Nov 2008
1,035 Posts
Hi Ming

It is very cold right now...-20 during the night, around -10 at noon...but we do not have much snow so at least the roads are clear.

cheers
Uwe
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:48 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,534 Posts
Crazy...lucky that I did not attend this year.
Did you find anything NEW this year on the fair about RC plane?

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2012, 11:54 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
ST Models are rebranded under the Hobbico Flyzone flag. I bet they bring the beaver in.
sj3cub is online now Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:55 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Thanks for the tip, hope hobbico gets it then I can pick it up at the LHS
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:16 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,657 Posts
thanks for sharing Uwe, any more to come?

S.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:08 PM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Those Beavers are something else. Wonder if they'll be available in the US anyywhere?
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303