HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:40 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Taking Herk and Bruce's advice, I ran some CF tow down the sides of the fuse and got them under press. Thanks for the advice guys. Sense I used slow cure epoxy resin, we'll know how it turned out tomorrow.

Knowing how everyone just loves looking at pictures, here's some more...

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Well, the CF tow came out nice. No excess epoxy, (blotted it just right), very flat and smooth. A little trimming, a few swipes with the sanding block on the ends and it's good to go. Also made a pin latch for the canape today. Simple sliding dowel with a 1/16" balsa wedge tacked in on the mating surface has made for a real positive lock down.

So it's another little bit done, 100 more little bits to go...

Mark
Old Jul 23, 2012, 05:47 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,423 Posts
I thought I had seen that model somewhere before
http://www.nurfluegel-modelltechnik.de/bleed/bleed.html

After going through the planes on the link you provided, I think there would have been some available to suit my needs without having to modify one. Thanks for the link.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
I thought I had seen that model somewhere before
http://www.nurfluegel-modelltechnik.de/bleed/bleed.html

After going through the planes on the link you provided, I think there would have been some available to suit my needs without having to modify one. Thanks for the link.
Welcome. Just a shame they don't provide any plans for those builds. But there does seem to of been an update with the layout, pix and info on the planes. Like there was no mention of a rudder before on the Bleed. Think I'll leave this one just a fin for now as i have flown planks on the slope with just elavons before with no real trouble. There is always the second fuse with shifting CG that could be built with rudder if it looks like its needed.
Last edited by Quick61; Jul 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,423 Posts
This site was for kits http://www.nurfluegel-modelltechnik.de/bleed/bleed.html and the Bleed was among them.

The Swiss site had a lot of interesting designs. I don't speak German, but it doesn't seem like they have plans for any of the models
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
I got wood today! Ummmm, OK, that didn't sound all that right, but my order did show up a couple of days earlier than I expected. So I got busy and sheeted the other wing. Slapped them together, took one look and... I made a little boo-boo. Of course my first reaction was that was enough to make a preacher cuss, but I kept my mouth shut, decided it would be an easy fix, if I even bother. I can't figure out just how it happened, and it's the first wing done that is wrong. The one I sheeded today, I did in a hurry and it came out right. Oh well, here are a few more pix.

Mark
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:38 PM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,240 Posts
I think it looks kinda nice.Just rename it Asymmetric Bleed and you're good to go.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupot46 View Post
I think it looks kinda nice.Just rename it Asymmetric Bleed and you're good to go.
Stuart
Now why didn't I think of that - problem solved! Thanks

Mark
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:37 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,890 Posts
No big deal, just use opaque covering in that area and no one will notice

GO FOR IT!!!!

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 25, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Well EZ, it's going to be covered with Skyloft so maybe not so opaque, but given the time I would spend 'fixing' it. I could have the control surfaces rigged. As we say out here in the country, "it ain't eating no hay". So onward I'll go.

Mark
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
I can't figure out just how it happened, and it's the first wing done that is wrong.
Looks fine to me....

Pablo Picasso
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Condor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Pressing on after receiving even Picasso's, um, I mean Kent's approval I directed my attention towards the servo housings. All went smoothly and no boo-boos along the way. (may small miracle never cease) I got to thinking about the control linkage and was looking at the 1mm SS wire I have. Then I thought that is a long enough run that it would be my luck it would bend during a launch and I just don't see any happy endings there. So, think I'll go with CF or FG rods with wire ends, (they have served me well in the past), so that's first up tomorrow. In the mean time, here's a few more pics. The material draped over the wing is the Skyloft that I will be covering this bird with.

Mark
Old Jul 26, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Looks fine to me....

Pablo Picasso
I had to clean my monitor this morning - read that and sprayed coffee. Still grinning - Thanks Pablo
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,807 Posts
Wow, that Skyloft material IS thin. Very interesting for light models. I have not worked with is before and cannot find much info. on it... A mini-how-to would be appreciated when it comes time to apply the covering. I dope on Koverall (from Sig), but apparently is much different.

Kent
Knoll53 is offline Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Condor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
Wow, that Skyloft material IS thin. Very interesting for light models. I have not worked with is before and cannot find much info. on it... A mini-how-to would be appreciated when it comes time to apply the covering. I dope on Koverall (from Sig), but apparently is much different.

Kent
Will do Kent. My MAD plan is to color some PolyC, wet out the Skyloft, apply it to the wings / fuse, blot it out, and see what it gets me. I'v covered foam wings with light fiberglass and PolyC and that worked out well and I'v read of good results using it with this Skyloft. I'v been experimenting a bit with it and it sure does expand when wet and shrinks right back up when dry. From what I can see so far, as long as I can get it reasonably tight when it's wet, (damp might be a better word), it should pull up tight as a drum once dry. I'll be sure to take plenty of pix and doing a how-to sounds like a great idea.

Mark