HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:04 PM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews View Post
Looking forward to seeing the flying results.

My only issue with using magnets for the wing retention is that the attractive force falls of very quickly with any separation. If the wings flex the rods and pry themselves apart by levering off the top contact point by enough to break the contact between the magnets then they may not have enough force to pull the wing back on against the friction of the wing rods. Once that occurs the forces on the wings COULD cause the wings to walk out on the rods. For this reason I'm more of a fan of springs or rubber bands used to retain wings. With the constant tension from a spring or multi wrapped rubber band the re-seating tension actually increases if the wing should be pried away from the fully seated position instead of falling off quickly.
I got ya on that one - "If the wings flex the rods and pry themselves apart by levering off the top contact point by enough to break the contact between the magnets then they may not have enough force to pull the wing back on against the friction of the wing rods. Once that occurs the forces on the wings COULD cause the wings to walk out on the rods."

What is going on in my mind, and this could very well be wrong, , is that with a conventional tailed design, the fuse is holding on to the wings, where as with this plank, the wings are holding on to the fuse. If that makes any sense? Given that for the most part, the greatest forces the wings will see would be on the launch, and I am going to be using a bridle, the loading on the joiner rod should be a lot less than launching with a center tow hook. As I said, all of this is new and the build is a test bed. Given your comments on the subject, performing some ground tests and getting some measured data as to the pull and "reattach" points before I go for the "big launch" is now in the mix. Thanks! And keep it coming. This kind of input is what makes this site such a great resource.

Mark
Quick61 is offline Find More Posts by Quick61
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Getting more done after a day of monkeying around and doing almost nothing. Fit ribs, installed LE, and started on shear webbing on the right wing panel. Also got the bottom sheeting cut out and patched together. Build is coming along. A few more pics for now.

Mark
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:21 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Just for you Bleed fans. here is where the web site of the designer is archived,

http://web.archive.org/web/200501020...?jwl=zeichnung

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:10 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
Just for you Bleed fans. here is where the web site of the designer is archived,

http://web.archive.org/web/200501020...?jwl=zeichnung

EZ
Thanks EZ. The original link was dead, great find. I was thinking about the El Condor / Windfreak R/E ships when I found the Bleed. An elevon ship just looked a bit more appealing at this time. I do have the El Condor plan, though it is a half crappy scan. From the mag I think.

Mark
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:49 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
I think I might build this one many elveons on my shop, I need something extremly different this time

EZ
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Seems like about everything got done this last week except building wings! But this weekend has been a bit different. About have one wing done and the fuse well underway. The slide looks to be working out great, and I'm very happy with the setup so far.

The wing has come out nice as well. I used a swatch of the Skyloft between the 2 layers of 1/16" balsa on the trailing edge. Came out rather stiff and sturdy. Placing a wedge underneath the front of the wing before laminating the top and bottom together, leaving the bottom laying flat gave just a touch of reflex, and is rather close to the original airfoil.

At any rate, bad aim with the camera and all, here are a few more pix. I'll see if I can't dig up a better camera, or at least something I can aim a bit better.

Mark
Last edited by Quick61; Feb 12, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:34 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Nice progress, looking forward for the maiden

EZ
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
Nice progress, looking forward for the maiden

EZ
Yea EZ, you and me both!

Got the fuse more or less done up. Not so happy with the way the canape has turned out so far..... but me thinks I got a way out of it. We'll see. Anyway, I've included the latest pix to keep this build thread alive. Should be starting on the other wing tomorrow. After that. it's the control surfaces and servo linkage then the Skyloft covering. That last part is going to be the REAL experiment..... Stay tuned.

Mark

PS: There is an a$$ load of room in this fuse. Sure does look like a good place to mount the battery and/or weight on a slide for moving CG. Yea, why not!
Last edited by Quick61; Feb 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: PS
Old Feb 20, 2012, 03:37 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,904 Posts
Go for it, yo just need to build a small slide mechanism and add an extra servo to move your batteries back and forwards

regards

EZ
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
After some time off the building bandwagon, I'm back on board. My darnd eyes went higgley on me and that put things into a bit of a funk. Regardless, I'm now back at it and moving forward. Got the bones of the other wing done up and am now waiting on more sheeting to show up so I can finish this build up and get on to the next project. A few photos of how she's looking so far. I'm just wondering now if I should put tips on the wings - Maybe something like this?

Anyway, more next week once my sheeting gets here.

Mark (who is now done with his gratuitous thread bump )
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:36 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,382 Posts
Mark,Good to see(no pun intended)you back on this.Eye problems are my big fear;dads were good,mum not so.Time will tell.
I like the tip idea,If you make them detachable (I here those super magnets are good)You could check them out against other tip designs.
Are you still going to try the moving cog?I'd be very interested in what you came up with.
Regards Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Old Jul 21, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
I'm not 100% there on the moving CG yet as I should of done the slide before I assembled the fuse. But the fuse is simple enough and once I get the model flying, building a second fuse with a moving CG device would only take a day or so. Let's call that phase 2 in the evolution of the Thermal Bleed. I'm not overly thrilled on the way the canape came out on this fuse anyway, so now I have 2 excuses to build a second one.

On another note - I just weighed it and at present it's only 10 oz. It stands a good chance at coming out under 20 oz and >5oz sq. ft. loading. Just hope that it's not going to be to light and do poorly in a breeze.

Mark
Old Jul 21, 2012, 07:30 AM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,653 Posts
Hi Mark - been lurking here - was sorry to see the thread go dead for a while.

I have not found dimensions on the plan. (except for the CG location) The original plan shows a chord of 240 mm - is that what you are building to here? - or have you made changes. You said that you added 200 mm to each side - would that make it 2400mm span?

When it comes to flying, I can tell you that it's pretty hard to keep these short coupled things straight on landing. If it gets sideways during the slide, the side loads tend to break fuselages right at the leading edge of the wing. With that long droopy nose, this one will be vulnerable. You might consider bridging that area with some reinforcement. If you look at the pics of my plank, you can see some CF strips that I applied as insurance - even though the nose on mine is quite a bit shorter.
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,635 Posts
Along the lines of what Herk posted above a set of thicker wood for the sides, top and bottom that allows for a more "egg" like cross section would aid in not catching at the ground. With the present rather rectangular with slightly rounded corners I could see the corners tending to dig into the grass or other terrain features based on what Herk is saying these wings tend to land like.

On the other hand a buddy that flew a WindFreak plank for a few years did not seem to have much trouble with catching a tip and ground looping. But it had upward curved wings and he wasn't flying it in anything resembling a contest spot landing. So all the landings where gentle affairs.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,697 Posts
Herk, the total span will be about 2m, and the next revision of the plans I do, I'll throw in some dimensions. As the note on the pdf says, they are just beta drawings and some of this build I'v been making it up as I go along... so there's that.

Bruce and Herk, good input and forewarning of hindsight. CF tow down the fuse it is. (now I have something to do with the model other than look at it, waiting for my wood to show up, yea!) The fuse, as well as the wings are going to be covered with Skyloft on top of that. Don't know if any of you have seen it, but I would say that it's stronger than fiberglass or silk of the same weight. It will be the first time I have used it so I can't say for sure just how well it will perform, but from what I have read and after handling the material, I have hopes for it.

Oh, and speaking of R/E planks, I'v been watching a Skybench short kit Windlord build thread going on over in the Aircraft - Sailplanes Thermal forum.

Mark