SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:46 PM
United Kingdom, Cumb
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Help with my Gaui 500x with 330x power set, scorpion motor problem

Hi everyone, great forum I am in the uk and mainly fly fixed wing but I am just getting into Quadcopters and loving what they can do!

I had a gaui 330x-s kit for Christmas, the newer one with scorpion motors. While flying it a couple of weeks ago I lost control as it suddenly dived to the floor and crashed. As a new quad pilot I assumed it was my fault and went to inspect the wreckage :frown:

1 broken arm and 2 broken props.

I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade to the 500x airframe which seems to be a much easier design than the 330x and it folds for storage

The build went well, so I decided to take it to work to test fly in a larger garage (in my lunch break of course ) after about 2 minutes of trimming and hovering, the quad made a funny sqeeeek and tipped over, crashing to the floor :frown: when I picked it up it was un-damaged but one of the motors was much hotter than the others! I held it by the skids and applied throttle and after a few seconds the hot motor squeaked and stopped..!

So, I don't think it was pilot error that caused it to crash in the first place, and the original 330xs kit was new at Christmas.

Has anyone else had a problem with scorpion/gaui motors failing, and do you think I should seek a replacement from my LHS?

Cheers, Dave.
dwazzer is offline Find More Posts by dwazzer
Last edited by dwazzer; Feb 01, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:59 AM
÷sterreich, O÷, Linz
Joined Oct 2011
52 Posts
Check Motorbearings, i had to change all of them because they went bad after 5 flights.
Check for broken motorcables, had those aswell on my 330X.

Markus
Azrael82 is offline Find More Posts by Azrael82
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:06 AM
http://gothelirc.com/
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Dec 2011
624 Posts
It could be your bearings, but check the magnet first make sure it didn't throw a magnet, if it squeek and crash seem more like it threw a magnet in flight.

If you need bearings, we have ABEC5 high quality bearings replacement here.

http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...2&cat=Bearings
GotHeliRC is online now Find More Posts by GotHeliRC
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:18 AM
United Kingdom, Cumb
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys,

I had the motor apart last night and it definitely hasn't thrown a magnet...they are all sat where they should be Also, I don't think the bearings are shot as the motor spins nice and freely in there....might be different after it has been running a few minutes though???
is there any other reason why this could happen, it seems strange that as soon as it does, if I drop the throttle it will work again almost straight away (it does fail again quickly though )

And my motor cable connector broke straight away during the build aswell...Pretty poor quality if you ask me as I am not heavy handed

Think I will contact the LHS, just don't want to sound like a winging customer, cos I am definitely not that!!!

Any more suggestions are very welcome

Cheers, Dave.
dwazzer is offline Find More Posts by dwazzer
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2011
464 Posts
gothelirc - THANKS! I've been looking for replacement bearings. Mine are noisier than I'd like, but keeping them well oiled has worked so far.....
dwazzer - I've used "Scorpion Motor Oil" with micro applicators. gothelirc also has oil
http://gothelirc.com/shopdisplayprod...ch=Yes&sppp=20

LOTS of help for 330X and 550 here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1229089
In forum: Multi Rotor Helis
Jem3 is offline Find More Posts by Jem3
Last edited by Jem3; Feb 01, 2012 at 01:51 PM. Reason: add info