HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 08:36 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I thought these were good deal,, Have some in the mail someplace.. Just have to install the micro Deans and they are ready to fly.. But I'll probably remove the wrap so they run cooler..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22906
Those look very promising for us with our tail heavy Sabres. Let us know how it goes Bob.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:37 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Those look very promising for us with our tail heavy Sabres. Let us know how it goes Bob.
I have been flying with my home made 2s NanoTech 300's this is just a cheaper and easier way to get more of them.. Flight wise they are my battery of choice right now..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:25 AM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
I picked mine up yesterday and found 3 problem right out of the box that makes me want to return it.
Problem 1. Is cosmetic the nose cone was installed clock wise a few degrees not a big problem for me but a little bit of an eye sore. See pic's below.

Problem 2. is functional the left aileron hinge at the control horn is broken. An easy fix but adds to the list.

Problem 3. I hooked the battery to the charger all I get is both green/red leds flashing there is an error. I test the battery it is fine and balanced I then ran the battery down in the F-86 and hooked it the the charger again got the error code. So I hooked the battery to my smart charger and the battery charged fine. I looked over the the micro charger and I could smell that burnt component smell like some IC let the magic smoke out so I think it is toast!

Problem 4. I setup the anylink system to my DX6i, Set up the throws, rates and expo this all went very easy and fast. Then the problem started with the throttle off the motor pulses about very 30 to 45 seconds and the control surfaces jetter as well. I moved the battery and leads also relocated the antenna still does the same thing. I then hooked the anylink to my Futuba 9C same thing. Anybody got any ideas? I think I need to return it.....
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Last edited by BadLemon; Mar 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
I picked mine up yesterday and found 3 problem right out of the box that makes me want to return it.
Problem 1. Is cosmetic the nose cone was installed clock wise a few degrees not a big problem for me but a little bit of an eye sore. See pic's below.

Problem 2. is functional the left aileron hinge at the control horn is broken. An easy fix but adds to the list.

Problem 3. I hooked the battery to the charger all I get is both green/red leds flashing there is an error. I test the battery it is fine and balanced I then ran the battery down in the F-86 and hooked it the the charger again got the error code. So I hooked the battery to my smart charger and the battery charged fine. I looked over the the micro charger and I could smell that burnt component smell like some IC let the magic smoke out so I think it is toast!

Problem 4. I setup the anylink system to my DX6i, Set up the throws, rates and expo this all went very easy and fast. Then the problem started with the throttle off the motor pulses about very 30 to 45 seconds and the control surfaces jetter as well. I moved the battery and leads also relocated the antenna still does the same thing. I then hooked the anylink to my Futuba 9C same thing. Anybody got any ideas? I think I need to return it.....
I agree,,, it has too many problems..
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:46 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
I maidened mine this afternoon - other than five clicks of up elevator and having a blast it was uneventful. CG right at 70mm and no bad habits. I only had the one battery and no real idea of flight time so I regretfully landed.

Congratulations to Great Planes, this is a fantastic little plane. Needs more batteries (my local hobby store was out of stock) and possibly a different connector (I do not much like those little 'one pole' Deans jobbers).
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:08 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
I maidened mine this afternoon - other than five clicks of up elevator and having a blast it was uneventful. CG right at 70mm and no bad habits. I only had the one battery and no real idea of flight time so I regretfully landed.

Congratulations to Great Planes, this is a fantastic little plane. Needs more batteries (my local hobby store was out of stock) and possibly a different connector (I do not much like those little 'one pole' Deans jobbers).
Maybe I should try my new one and see if it's that much better than the first one..
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:31 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,084 Posts
It was one of the easiest maiden flights I have had.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:36 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadLemon View Post
What are you expecting? Your name is BadLemon!

Seriously though, this is not Great Planes standard for sure. I also agree, simply return it. I guess it was build on a monday morning or friday afternoon...
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:55 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,242 Posts
you beat me to the joke RG...

There is a chat thread and an official thread in the micro edf forum for maidens and lemons etc...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573648
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:09 PM
Just having fun before I die!
DeKalb,IL
Joined Dec 2008
935 Posts
I just I fell into that one.... I always said if it wasn't for Bad Luck I won't have any luck at all!
Also may last name is Lemons aka BadLemon!
BadLemon is offline Find More Posts by BadLemon
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:25 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
I just ordered mine after reading this thread and some others. Ordered it Thursday from TH and it is suppose to be here Tuesday. Hopefully the weather will be good enough this weekend to maiden her. Went ahead and ordered another battery from them for $6 so I would at least have two till I can find a better alternative. Thanks for the great review!!! This is my first EDF so hopefully I don't destroy it. lol
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:33 PM
Internet MMA Champion
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Just got mine today. Piece of junk. The fan sounds like a chipmunk getting electrocuted. Taking it back Monday morning for refund... The Anylink thing is a good idea, just has poor, poor craftsman ship. Would not stay on/connected very well.
NothinButThumbs is offline Find More Posts by NothinButThumbs
Last edited by NothinButThumbs; Apr 04, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, GA, Crandall
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
I quickly grew tired of trying to get the Anylink to work with my DX7s transmitter, so I bought an OrangeRx R415 receiver from hobbyking.com. For about 10 bucks, it drops straight in the Great Planes F-86 and works flawlessly with Spektrum transmitters. I finally took mine for her maiden voyage today. She's quite a handful... especially in slightly windy conditions.
carrottop432 is offline Find More Posts by carrottop432
Old Apr 09, 2012, 03:14 PM
Heli collector
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrottop432 View Post
I quickly grew tired of trying to get the Anylink to work with my DX7s transmitter, so I bought an OrangeRx R415 receiver from hobbyking.com. For about 10 bucks, it drops straight in the Great Planes F-86 and works flawlessly with Spektrum transmitters. I finally took mine for her maiden voyage today. She's quite a handful... especially in slightly windy conditions.
I have some of these RX's on order.. But so far the Any*Link is working fine with the DX6i.. But I'm planning on changing them all over to the DX7 as I might as well get some use out of it..

What CG location and battery are you flying with?
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:02 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,404 Posts
Did the Futaba Micro connectors in the aircraft actually fit the connectors in the R415?? Thought the spectrum and futaba micro connectors were physically different.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2