HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:55 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002 View Post
I'm going to use a 4mm Picooz tail motor. I think it'll have more speed than a 2.8mm shicoh version. Hmmm... thinking of making it turn by thrust vectoring...

SS
I was planning on using throttle mixed to actuator ports for proportional steering. I still need a rx though and that another $50 for the one I like...
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:34 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
okay, since nobody else has an official entry, i might as well go first

this is the smallest boat i can conceivably build with the gear i own. i wanted to go with a normal rudder and one motor, but just couldn't do it right. so this one is twin steering.

for gear it has two 4*8mm motors with custom trimmed 9mm props, 30mah lipo cell and the plantraco micro 9 three channel receiver. if i could direct solder the motors, it could be a little shorter, but i think it might sink without the extra displacement. as it is, its sitting in the water with about 2-2.5mm above the surface, but the tension pulls it right up to the edge of the hull!

i am sure this wont stand for long, but hey, its a start!

smallest boat contest (0 min 38 sec)
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:02 PM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
also, it weighs in at a whopping 3.6 grams with the deck on it, and 3.4 without. so its total displacement is around 3.4cc of water.

here is a better quality video of it in action:
smallest boat 2 (0 min 52 sec)
Last edited by derk; Sep 01, 2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:58 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,044 Posts
Cute.

It looks like a little styrofoam ice chest with motors.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:51 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Thrust vectoring is probably the only way to get this small.

I have another idea. Can we divide this into a "make it work" class and a "resembles a real boat" class?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:56 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Thrust vectoring is probably the only way to get this small.

I have another idea. Can we divide this into a "make it work" class and a "resembles a real boat" class?
Which class does a motored sail boat fall into? That's right. I AM thinking of disguising the RX as a sail!

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:13 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Nice! That would be able to qualify as a scale.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:10 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,044 Posts
My personal goal is a sailboat.

My introduction to sail was a Windmill class sloop that I built when I was twenty-two. It was a fantastic sailer and one heck of a boat for a self-taught sailor to learn on.

It's not a matter of making the world's smallest sailboat, but making a small, functional sailboat with decent performance. I want to stick a motor in it, mainly for retrieval purposes since the places I can sail are not places I can wade out after a boat or launch a kayak etc.

My first attempt at a motorboat was a testbed for motor control for a future sailboat and my interest in eventually making a folding prop is because whatever scale you care to work at, from full-sized to tiny, a sailboat will always work best with minimal drag producing things to slow it down.

Sad to say, at seventy-four I'm unlikely to ever sail a hot International 14 in a good breeze but sail still interests me and always will. Everything from conventional to rigid airfoil/hydrofoil equipped sailing machines and especially autonomous, goat driven robotic boats.

Practically I have to stick to small sailboats and t really don't think a good sailboat can be made in one inch size.

I admire derk's motorized ice chest but I have to admit that I'd much rather see something that even a three year old can recognize as a boat even sitting still in the water.

I'll be watching with real interest, but in my mind I'll be working on something a bit larger that looks a lot more scale above the wateline.

Below the waterline things have to be more practical at tiny scales since a small boat sails in hurricane like conditions most of the time.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:24 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
well... the criteria were pretty much fixed in post #1 when i started the thread. and your formalized contest rules sound exactly what i had in mind so just added them to that post. for now id say size is the goal. but i must admit petes constant nagging has gotten to me and i really want to eventually do something that looks like a real boat. if nobody else does it first ill start another thread for "worlds smallest SCALE boat". but whos to judge what is scale? my 1st attempt is certainly more "boatlike" than derks but his is smaller and he put up a video. if it can backup and turn hes definitely current world champion. in that case ill add his to post #1.

unfortunately im unable to use flash player so i wonder if it might be possible to upload a short version to rc groups video gallery? or maybe somebody could describe whats going on there. im dying of curiosity.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:50 AM
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,456 Posts
here ya go dave: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22628582

sorry for the terrible quality, the second video looks better but is much larger file size.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
here ya go dave: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22628582

sorry for the terrible quality, the second video looks better but is much larger file size.
Thanks a lot! now I can watch the vid, too!

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:17 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
thanks derk. that was absolutely amazing. NEW WORLD CHAMPION!!!!!

(now i have to figure out how to shave 2mm off a hull that is only 1mm thick. lol! )
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:57 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
Hmmm... I'm imagining a boat which is some kind of reaction steam drive and has one red boiler and one green boiler. You'd control it with a pair of red and green lasers, fairly powerful. I'll bet you could make that one very small! Not sure about backing up, unless you went with 4 boilers, 4 colors, and 4 lasers. Or two solar cells with color filters and two very small pager motors. Backing up still a problem.

Probably there's some creative solution which is better than the above. Temporarily attach a moth to the deck and use a light?
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:50 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,669 Posts
Would a cockroach guided by cheese on a string count, it would still be wireless.

Once I've got all my crap dug out I'll have a go at this.
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:09 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Would a cockroach guided by cheese on a string count, it would still be wireless.

Once I've got all my crap dug out I'll have a go at this.
Is that possible?
RCG Plus Member