SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:01 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
dave1993, got a link or datasheet or partnumber? ive been trying that for a while now, but the SMD toaster oven is not kind to me.
the chips i have are pre-programmed tiny25 soic iirc that a friend gave to me some time ago. im not sure how many are in a tube but it looks like a hundred or so.

i used a few before to drive actuators in lrf and may decide to use one for the nano boat i got planned. right now they work with the tiny spektrum or hk supermicro rx. unfortunately they dont recognize ir signals so i may end up coding a new version just for that.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Feb 2008
12 Posts
Some small scale boats:

These are two 1/96 scale models.

The steam pinnace is 9" long and has two motors, 868 Mhz Plantraco radio and a single cell Lipo battery. The Pinnace fits on the deck of the 1/96th scale battleship "Mars".

"Turbinia" is just over 12" long with two Picoo helicopter motors, 2.4 Ghz Frsky radio and again a single cell Lipo. Esc's are servo driver boards.

Both models use motor steering with programmable mixer in the Tx.
aveling is offline Find More Posts by aveling
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:10 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Very nice for actual scale.

The non-scale tug boat a few posts earlier is much, much smaller.

Maybe we should have a category for scale, scale like and just plain small.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:37 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
scale may be in the eye of the beholder. the tugboat is certainly more scale (and smaller) than my foamie bit-boat. with a spektrum brick probably not "full function" which was my goal for this thread. afaik the bit-boat is smallest one so far capable of backing up. that seems to be the stumbling block for those attempting this because most bricks and tiny esc do not have reverse. since then i built a smaller boat using ir control but didnt get photos before everything froze over last winter. ill give it another try soon.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
scale may be in the eye of the beholder. the tugboat is certainly more scale (and smaller) than my foamie bit-boat. with a spektrum brick probably not "full function" which was my goal for this thread. afaik the bit-boat is smallest one so far capable of backing up. that seems to be the stumbling block for those attempting this because most bricks and tiny esc do not have reverse. since then i built a smaller boat using ir control but didnt get photos before everything froze over last winter. ill give it another try soon.
Backing up is easy! Just use a servo motor and electronics. With no pot the motor will spin endlessly in either direction. Lots of deadband will help it stand still. I'm sure with some tweaking the deadband can be achieved.

Right now I'm playing with cameras. No room for planes, but maybe a tiny boat is possible. I need tiny radio gear for it though!

Pete
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
I do think we ought to have categories though.

Aveling's boats are lovely and very small for scale. The tug is very small, but I'd call it scale-like. Your boat is pure tiny with no attempt at scale.

I'd say that's three worthwhile categories.

Pete
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Doesn't running in water cause any problems for your motors? I'm planning to build one...

I had built a submarine with X-twin guts a long time ago. It was 5 inches in length and the turning was quite sluggish...

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002 View Post
Doesn't running in water cause any problems for your motors? I'm planning to build one...
Nope, not one bit if it's a pager motor.

I had built a submarine with X-twin guts a long time ago. It was 5 inches in length and the turning was quite sluggish...
Motors were two close.

SS
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:20 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
Thnx. wish I had worked out the problems instead of degutting it...
Right now I'm looking for some suitable "real" boat to scale down...

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:10 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
6,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002 View Post
Doesn't running in water cause any problems for your motors?
i was asking that same question earlier in the thread. being worried about water getting inside i sealed the end cap with silicone and put some grease around the shaft entry. however now im told its better to just let the water inside and it will dry better if not sealed.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 09:50 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,475 Posts
the pager motors typically do not get water inside them, they are not going deep under the surface so there's little pressure. also, they are sealed on the back end and have a very good tolerance on the shaft / bushings, to top that off, they dont have much air to be displaced either.
me and a few other members have used them on submarines with no problems down to at least 5 feet, the motors are still fine with no mods and normal maintenance.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:02 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
I'm calling for a sticky.

Bad news though. With the advent of my 12mm props, I started brain storming. Let's see what the smallest boat in this thread is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:05 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
I see that 1.75" is the smallest here.

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
If I scrounge the smallest, lightest thing that can turn a rudder and stick on the smallest battery I can find I can probably make a boat under an inch.

The "power source" would be a bit of soap on the transom. Dunno if you ever made boats like that when you were a kid, but they really work and adding RC would be cute.

It just wouldn't be much fun, but I thought I'd pass the idea along. I did have a commercial version which used some waxy stuff that worked way better than soap but I never found out what the waxy stuff was.

Pete
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:27 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
I've heard of it, but never tried.

My design is 41.1mm long, which is 3.35mm smaller than the smallest here.
RCG Plus Member