Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:15 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
Discussion
smallest rc boat

does anyone know whats the smallest rc boat or ship ever done on rcgroups? ir or radio? forward, backward, rudder, with pics and video?

update 2/6/2012

heres some pics of my 2" bitboat. i wanted to do video too but my sailing pan froze solid yesterday. let me know if you have any questions.

update 9/1/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Ok so this is now official.
Rules:
- Length of participating boats are determined by their total length. This includes the rudder.
- Participating boats must be fully functional: forward, reverse, ability to turn.
- Pictures and a video are required for proof.

update 9/3/2012

NEW RECORD!!!!! (actually only record so far because nobody else has posted video yet)

heres derks video of 1" full function boat: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22628582

man, this is going to be hard to beat. i wish i wasnt wasting so much time with those dam nano-quadcopters.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Last edited by dave1993; Sep 03, 2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: bitboat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:14 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
it sank and went down the drain before i could get a picture
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:15 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,660 Posts
A fly stole mine!
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:43 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
I started one that's 3.2 inches long. It would float an AR 6400 (or whatever, the brick) and it damned near climbed out of the sink when run directly from battery.

Uses a tiny pager motor glued onto a skeg and a 10 mm prop from Shapeways. Got slightly dinged and the rudder set up was not conducive to hooking up with the brick, so it's back to the drawing board when I get the time.

Derk is the guy who suggested that the whole motor can be stuck underwater and I have to say it worked well.

Any smaller and the deck would have been awash with the brick in place. The hull thickness was about 3/8ths.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:06 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
lol! so we have comedians in the micro boat forum too! (btw i have seen a plane made from a housefly, no joke)

pete, i saw your concept post when it first came out and it is what inspired me to get into this. i dont understand why there is not more interest in building a really small boat. i guess there are different definitions of "micro". like in the heli area where they call 400g micro. i have a syma heli that weighs 26g and there are some like the piccooz that weigh much less.

i built a similar boat platform that is 2" using the underwater pager idea. i can put any kind of top on it for semi-scale appearance. now it can take a hk supermicro or bitcar rx. i tried both. im sure i can buld a 1" boat using a small ir unit i designed.

anyway im wondering what effect the water has on motor life. i sealed the wire end and keep a small glob of silicone grease on the shaft but idk.
Last edited by dave1993; Feb 06, 2012 at 12:15 PM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
lol! so we have comedians in the micro boat forum too! (btw i have seen a plane made from a housefly, no joke)
Made a couple many, many years ago. Microfilm covered planes with maybe a four inch wing span. You catch a fly and put it in the refridgerator. Take a hair iff your head and put a dab of glue on it. (we used Ambroid) stick the hair on the fly's abdomen and glue the other end to the nose of the plane.

Only did it a couple of times, I felt sorry for the fly.

No idea how to answer any of your other questions, but there are guys building very small RC sailboats and that's my real interest. I want to make a small schooner, about 7.5 inches long. Need a motor for where I want to sail it and I'm thinking of sticking the motor in the fin keel. Did some drawings on paper so far and it looks feasible.

Built my own full sized sailboat many years ago. Gets in your blood. Also flew full sized sailplanes. Also paddled white water kayaks, so I spent a fair portion of my youth in the grip of nature, using and learning to respect the forces involved.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:54 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
yes, ive been following your posts for many years. long before i signed up here. we have many common interests. i even built a 12' centerboard from pop mechanics but never learned to sail. but my kayaks water aint so white.

so im assuming you are the current record holder for smallest boat. maybe time for some "de-throning". lol! i will take some pics maybe this weekend when i go back home. it looks sooooo cute scooting around in the dishpan.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
I haven't yet made the boat RC yet and I'm not sure when I'll find the time. I seriously was (and am) planning to video it running in my bathroom sink if I ever get back to it.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:20 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
ah yes... i saw the brick but failed to note it was not connected. i wonder what the smallest rc boat so far might be. there are a few 6" and i think 4" mentioned.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:06 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
How to Make a Fly-Plane. (1 min 31 sec)
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:49 AM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,946 Posts
i wish i could view videos but ill take your word for it. ive seen a fly-power plane in real life. he used a foam plane though and it only took a minute. it went out of sight.

i wonder about fly-power boats. that may be the only way to beat me in the smallest boat contest.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:51 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Interesting, but crude!

We built really small microfilm models that we test glided and trimmed before sticking our tow line equipped fly to the nose. The hairs were two to three inches long. The fly was free enough to easily do circles in the living room.

The fly would also tire in only a few minutes. Maybe he was flying all out trying to get way from that thing following him.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:29 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Inspired, I am. I'm going for 2.5" this weekend.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
Inspired, I am. I'm going for 2.5" this weekend.
I'm going to call Horizon and demand smaller bricks!

Actually it's probably possible to cut off the elevator servo and use its motor in both forward and reverse, leaving the rudder servo for steering. Then the whole thing becomes lighter and smaller and it should be possible to use a much smaller battery since there is no large external motor to drive.

I'm busy on some music work and maybe experimenting with cookies for Valentine's Day.

I just scored a nice sheet of foam to play with when time permits.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Pete
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:20 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,488 Posts
Who said anything about using a smaller brick??? Lol there is a smaller brick though you would have to make it twin motor steering. The Blade Scout has a smaller brick.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case