HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:28 AM
Posted with DragonLink
Norway, Hordaland, Ask°y
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Question
Are 35MHz TX of brand "X" compatible with 35MHz RX of brand "Y"?

...assuming using the same channel/freq. crystal?

I can get a good deal on a used RTF plane that I would like to crash a lot (I think others refer to it as "learning to fly" ;-), and it comes with cheap 4ch 35 MHz Zebra TX, but I really want to end up with the 35 MHz Robbe FX-18 TX. So I could get a good deal if the Robbe TX and Zebra RX are compatible.

My apologies if this is already covered in a thread somewhere... I couldn't find any discussion.

The reason I want to go with 35MHz on RC TX/RX is that in Norway, the most common bands used for FPV radios are prohibited- except for 2.4GHz, leaving me to chose between FM bands for RC. I'm trying to do my homework before getting too invensted in "inventory".

Thanks for any help/guidance/links to existing threads.
njwxyz is offline Find More Posts by njwxyz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:15 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,582 Posts
All FM/PPM radios that I've ever seen or heard of on 35MHz are compatible but PCM radios are not. And of course AM and FM will not work together.

Unfortunately I don't know Robbe equipment well and I've never even heard of "Zebra" RC gear so I can't be certain about that particular combination.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by njwxyz View Post
...assuming using the same channel/freq. crystal?
I can get a good deal on a used RTF plane that I would like to crash a lot (I think others refer to it as "learning to fly" ;-), and it comes with cheap 4ch 35 MHz Zebra TX, but I really want to end up with the 35 MHz Robbe FX-18 TX. So I could get a good deal if the Robbe TX and Zebra RX are compatible.
My apologies if this is already covered in a thread somewhere... I couldn't find any discussion.The reason I want to go with 35MHz on RC TX/RX is that in Norway, the most common bands used for FPV radios are prohibited- except for 2.4GHz, leaving me to chose between FM bands for RC. I'm trying to do my homework before getting too invensted in "inventory". Thanks for any help/guidance/links to existing threads.
Robbe (aka Futaba) FX18 Robbe (Futaba) FX-18 - Manual on 35 MHz PPM
(incompatible on PCM) is good to go with a Zebra 35Mhz Receiver provided
the receiver is fitted with the appropriate HITEC 35Mhz crystal
- do not use a Futaba RX crystal which is not cut to the same size, case size, nor same specifications.
Zebra Manuals: refer later to my webpage under "Manuals" as they will be uploaded to Dropbox within next hour.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:33 PM
Posted with DragonLink
Norway, Hordaland, Ask°y
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Cheers, Steve. I think I'll play it safe and get matched TX/RX/crystals... I have quite enough variables right now, so need to add to the confusion. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:43 PM
Posted with DragonLink
Norway, Hordaland, Ask°y
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Cheers, Alan. And thanks for the resource. I actually stumbled across your site not long ago looking for a manual for 35MHz Zebra TX. Bookmark .

So... if I understand correctly, as long as the (Futaba) crystal in the Robbe TX is the same channel as the (Hitec) crystal in the RX, I should be in business??? The more I read, the more I seem to get the impression that as long as the crystals match the technology they are installed installed in, 35MHz TX and RX are fairly compatible- as long as consider PPM/PCM. But I also believe the Robbe TX will work with both PPM and PCM FUTABA RX.

My head is spinning again.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by njwxyz View Post
Cheers, Alan. And thanks for the resource. I actually stumbled across your site not long ago looking for a manual for 35MHz Zebra TX. Bookmark.
So... if I understand correctly, as long as the (Futaba) crystal in the Robbe TX is the same channel as the (Hitec) crystal in the RX, I should be in business???
The more I read, the more I seem to get the impression that as long as the crystals match the technology they are installed installed in, 35MHz TX and RX are fairly compatible- as long as consider PPM/PCM.
But I also believe the Robbe TX will work with both PPM and PCM FUTABA RX. My head is spinning again.
You have it sorted, the Zebra manuals are now online (PDF), right click and "Save Target As":
Zebra RC systems - Zebra 4FM 1114 kb
Zebra RC systems - Zebra 3FM 1205 kb
Zebra RC systems - Zebra 2AM 1152 kb

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:58 AM
Posted with DragonLink
Norway, Hordaland, Ask°y
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
You have it sorted, the Zebra manuals are now online (PDF), right click and "Save Target As":
Zebra RC systems - Zebra 4FM 1114 kb
Zebra RC systems - Zebra 3FM 1205 kb
Zebra RC systems - Zebra 2AM 1152 kb

Alan T.
Good stuff, Alan. Thanks for uploading the manuals. :-)