HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:43 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,915 Posts
Video
Fast Slope landing a 4m in 19 mph Winds

First attempt started too high. I pushed down, but it picked up too much speed, so I popped it up, flew back out, and used the motor to climb back up a little bit. While doing so, the motor spuddered a little bit. My thought was that my battery was low, and I'll have to stick this next landing. On the next approach, I came in a little slower, but still had a little speed. I thought w/ so much wind (it was about 19 mph) that it would be better to have a little speed to punch through any rotors, to be able to penetrate, and I didn't want to be on the verge of a stall on the back edge at the beginning of the landing area. I varied my altitude w/ crow, and speed w/ elevator. When I touched down I was still going w/ some speed and it skid about 25' to a stop. It made a lot of noise, but it was a soft touch down. The other guy said he couldn't believe I landed it that fast. I was like 'oh boy, that wasn't fun.', but was pumped that I landed successfully.
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 02:21 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2004
4,425 Posts
Hint: Retract the flaps on just before touchdown to protect them from damage.

Nice video resolution.
rockbus is offline Find More Posts by rockbus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multicopter News
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:06 PM
hows the lift ?????
Joined Aug 2011
484 Posts
bah, microsoft. the enemy.
kilgoretrouts is offline Find More Posts by kilgoretrouts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus View Post
Hint: Retract the flaps on just before touchdown to protect them from damage.

Nice video resolution.
The Alpina has a large body vs TD ships. That and the fact that I only get 75% throw out of the flaps, they don't touch the ground. It wieghts 12.5 lbs, and if I had retracted the flaps just prior to touch down it would have floated in ground affect and not stopped when it did, but thanks.

Bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Jan 31, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Actually Bob, probably not. Flaps deployed increases camber, which creates more lift for a given airspeed. Retracting flaps at the last minute almost always results in the model settling in for landing immediately.

All it takes is a tall tuft of grass to strip a servo, break a linkage or tear a hinge.

-Jeremy

Who learned the hard way.

EDITED TO ADD: Ok, now I watched the video. Scary LZ for a ship that size and speed!
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Prone View Post
Actually Bob, probably not. Flaps deployed increases camber, which creates more lift for a given airspeed. Retracting flaps at the last minute almost always results in the model settling in for landing immediately.

All it takes is a tall tuft of grass to strip a servo, break a linkage or tear a hinge.

-Jeremy

Who learned the hard way.

EDITED TO ADD: Ok, now I watched the video. Scary LZ for a ship that size and speed!
I understand your point. I guess a better explanation on my part would have been that it was already going fast enough w/ crow and that I didn't want to take the crow out fearing that would it speed up more. There was another landing area just a little bit bigger than this one that I could have tried to use, but it had (strong) weeds instead of tall dead grass which I would have preferred. I thought that if I tried landing there that what you said could have happened, or one of them could have caught a wing and spun it around, ground loop, whatever. So I thought even though it was a little bit bigger, that it would have been harder on the plane, and at least this one was clear after I removed what rocks I found. This landing area, as small as it was for this size glider, at that location, believe it or not, in my opinion, was the better choice of the two. It was just a little tight to hit. I could have (should have) come in a little slower by dipping down sooner and pulling up to bleed off some more speed, but then again, like I said, I was worried about stalling on the back side where I thought there might be a rotor. But because I felt the (electric motor) battery was low, that this was it and my last shot to try and make it. Otherwise, I would have pulled up again, gone around again, and gave it another shot, this time a little more slower. That is, the first time was too fast, second time better, third time could have been slower than the second.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Feb 2011
844 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I doubt I would have done any better in that situation! Never flown an Alpina either, so I don't know how well they behave when you slow them way down with flaps deployed.
Crash Prone is offline Find More Posts by Crash Prone