Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:06 AM
Australia, QLD, Helensvale
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Build Log
Pat Tritle Piper Pacer

Started building a Pat Tritle Piper Pacer a while back. This is my third Tritle designed kit. The other 2 were from Dumas, a Birddog and a Tiger Moth. I really like the lightweight designs that can be flown in the local park.
I ordered the kit from Pat. The laser cutting and wood selection is superb.

Some photos of the build.
CSeagrave is offline Find More Posts by CSeagrave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Some more photos. Building from the plan without instructions wasn't too difficult. Just needed to study the plans. Everything came together nice and straight which is always a good thing. Nothing more frustrating than a fuse that looks like a banana.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Finished the tailplane. Making the outlines looks complicated using foam board as formers but once you get used to it, its suprisingly easy and quick.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, NY, CENTRAL VLY
Joined May 2011
1,029 Posts
Looks to be shaping up nicely.
ausf is offline Find More Posts by ausf
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Thanks Ausf,

I initially couldn't decide to stick with the really light construction of the original or add some scale detailing. There is no doubt the attraction of Pat Tritle designs is how slow and scale like they fly.

I have decided to add scale detail but will try and keep things as light as possible. Tried making a tail wheel assembly from plywood and aluminium. The leaf spring is made from strips of aluminium cut from a scrapped computer disk drive cover. The tailwheel bracket is liteply. Sorry for the poor photos. It looks realistic but doesn't quite match the real thing, back to the drawing board. I have started making an instrument panel using balsa sheet, the instrument rings are made from copper wire wound around a socket of the right diameter.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
The frame is almost complete. Clearly I am not buidling this quick, have been working on this for about 2 months now. I've been travelling for work so things are progressing slowly.
I will be using the following equipment.

Jr 9303 2.4 transmitter.
Spektrum AR6115 receiver.
Rudder and elevator servos: Hitec HS55.
Flap and aileron servos: Efilte S60.
Motor Efilte Park 450.
Battery Dualsky 1700 11.1v
Speed controller Dualsky 25amp with 3 amp BEC
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
taildragger
Tennessee
Joined Aug 2009
10 Posts
Battery Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSeagrave View Post
The frame is almost complete. Clearly I am not buidling this quick, have been working on this for about 2 months now. I've been travelling for work so things are progressing slowly.
I will be using the following equipment.

Jr 9303 2.4 transmitter.
Spektrum AR6115 receiver.
Rudder and elevator servos: Hitec HS55.
Flap and aileron servos: Efilte S60.
Motor Efilte Park 450.
Battery Dualsky 1700 11.1v
Speed controller Dualsky 25amp with 3 amp BEC
I'm using a 450 motor with 11X5.5 APC prop and a two cell 2450 battery. Plenty of performance with this set up and quite scale flier. Tried 3 cells - way too much for anything near scale flight with that prop.
bdavisrcpilot is offline Find More Posts by bdavisrcpilot
Old May 10, 2012, 08:21 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Sorry for the delay in the build - work has been pretty hectic with a lot of travel.
Thanks for the info on your setup- will stick to 2 cells.

I am using Solarfilm for the covering. I know it comes with a weight penalty but I wanted a solid while colour. As you can see the wings are done and I have now covered the tailplane. I had trouble with the Solarfilm warping the light structure so I had to add some additional bracing.

I scrapped the original tailwheel and instrument panel and started again. The tailwheel is built using ply and aluminium. The instrument panel is temporarily fitted for photos and needs more work. I am concious of weight and suspect Pat Tritle would have a fit with the extras I am adding.

I have also made wheelpants from balsa. As the plane I am modelling had different shape pants to the plastic ones supplied. Surprisingly the don't weigh too much more than the original. I will get some photos up of these.
All the detail is taking its time, which I don't have too much off. Will get there eventually.