HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2003, 02:36 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Drawing planel lines...

I have a Flying Styro F-16 that I would like to add a little realism to. The panes lines are all molded into the foam. However, I've seen many people draw their own or highlight exisiting planel lines. What's the best method to do this? I've seen people use black markers but I don't want it too pronounced. It's a bit overdone then.

Thanks,

Mark
Racebelly is offline Find More Posts by Racebelly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2003, 01:39 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
I have used a silver marker pen over dark surfaces - and light. Doesn't work too well over chrome of course

Heres a picture of a couple of models done this way - they don't show up that well, but thats probably what you want anyway
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 11, 2003, 06:25 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,304 Posts
Re: Drawing planel lines...

Quote:
Originally posted by Racebelly
I have a Flying Styro F-16 that I would like to add a little realism to. The panes lines are all molded into the foam. However, I've seen many people draw their own or highlight exisiting planel lines. What's the best method to do this? I've seen people use black markers but I don't want it too pronounced. It's a bit overdone then.

Thanks,

Mark

The only thing needed for the FS F-16 is high-lighting. This can be accomplished with chalk pastels. This will require a clear coat.
(one that will not melt foam)
The other way is to use a airbrush, spaying very lightly. This takes a little practice, but will not require a clear coat, which will keep the plane lighter. A definet requirement for this plane. I use a piece of card-stock to keep the hard edge of the high-lighting to the front of the plane, or to the left or right.

As in anything in modeling, people can provide you with guidance, but you will be your ultimate teacher, through, just doing it.

Steve
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 11, 2003, 07:32 AM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
I've used a permanent ultra fine line Sharpie pen for panel lines. See my Rittinger Tony.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:15 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,546 Posts
I use a propelling pencil on painted surfaces. The pencil line comes out silvery grey and fairly unobtrusive. On foam it has the added benefit of slightly indenting the foam and if done with a light touch it looks quite effective.

Once saw a Leicester Model Centre Harrier where the panel lines had been put on with a black marker pen and it looked like Spiderman's personal aircraft- very much over the top.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:38 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
Mark

Chris Golds-A prolific UK aeromodelor uses black and white markers to give "highlights and lowlights"(my words)-when used subtly it looks great...
I saw it mentioned on another thread here recently-If you're interested try a search on his name (not as a user name).

Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:03 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
605 Posts
Do you own an airbrush? If so, mask everything but the panel line you want to highlight. Spray the panel a dark color. I usually mask only one side and spray the dark color in the direction of the airflow. Tedious, but it does work and it gives the panel line a nice feathered edge.

I prefer this technique than actually drawing the panel line in.
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:04 PM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the tips everyone. I do own an airbrush. I will do some experimenting with the highlighting technique. What's a good mix for color? I'm guessing a grayish blackish something.

I also like the idea of the pencil.

-Mark
Old Oct 12, 2003, 12:17 PM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
Pencil!

Fine Drafting pencil is EXCELLENT, easy to use , realistic,and weathers really nicely by wiping your finger in the direction of the airflow.

Bruce
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:32 AM
Vault-Tech Approved
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2003
1,285 Posts
Bruce,

I like that effect you get with the drafting pencil. Good idea.

I'll have to try that out.

-Mark