HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:28 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,567 Posts
Discussion
micro contra rotating outrunner system

Are they still out there? Looking to put it on a lightweight scale balsa build, as it would be kinda ironic on the model that has more than 1 wing, to have 2 motors and props!

Let me know!
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:45 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,029 Posts
How big Al? HK has several with the lightest listed at 55g but I don't know anything about it. HiMax has a line also. I have the smallest one, it's a jewel on 7" props but it weighs in at 73g. We need a nice small one for F3P but the only one's I've seen that small are one of a kind.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:01 PM
Fast and getting faster!
Albany County, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,567 Posts
the plane according to the plans auw is 7.5 Ounces. However that is with a geared 7:1 brushed motor and a 7 cell 110 mah nicad. 73 Grams on the nose might be alot. I cant find the weight on the 280 gearbox from GWS. I was initially thinking about a Medusa or Hacker 12mm motor with a gws gearbox.
FASTALJR is offline Find More Posts by FASTALJR
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:02 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,767 Posts
Is this thread of any help - Contra-Rotating Twin GWS Drive

It's rather an old thread, 2004, and looks like a DIY job.

This one is a rather large thread, 2004 to current, - contra rotating prop brushless

There are quite a few threads with contra in their titles if you do a whole forum search,
you could reduce that by selecting specific forums to search.

Also if you fancy having a go at making one, the drive out of one of the micro multi rotor helicopters might make a good staring point.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:06 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
941 Posts
Take a look here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390240

Kimmo Kaukoranta builds contra rotating drive systems for F3P. The system can pull a 4 oz plane vertically.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed