HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Discussion
OK OK, I really need to know, is the Aquila XL NOS Legal?!

Thread,

I have tried to understand the back and forth e-mails on this issue and no one has made a DEFINITIVE answer to this question!

The Aquila XL was flown at a Canadian Championships back in 1977 if the information I have found is correct.

If the above is factual and the kit was published prior to 1980, is it legal for NOS flying? Yes or No?

TIA for THE answer!

Gambler
RCGambler is offline Find More Posts by RCGambler
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:53 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,218 Posts
To make it harder . . . .
Five instances were five different people have flown an XL prior to 1-1-1980.

I'll post a better pic of the data I have collected this evening.

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Last edited by Thermaler; Jan 31, 2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGambler View Post
Thread,

I have tried to understand the back and forth e-mails on this issue and no one has made a DEFINITIVE answer to this question!

The Aquila XL was flown at a Canadian Championships back in 1977 if the information I have found is correct.

If the above is factual and the kit was published prior to 1980, is it legal for NOS flying? Yes or No?

TIA for THE answer!

Gambler

The rule is clear. It makes no difference if a plane was flown before the Nostalgia cut off date of Jan. 1 1980. What determines eligibility is if the plan was published in the open media, or a kit was commercially available before the cutoff date.

This thread does not belong in XC, I will request it be moved to a more appropriate forum.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:23 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,218 Posts
Caption under the picture says the kit was available for $130 15 years ago when it was in production. The article was published the June 1992 issue of Model Builder in Bill Forrey's Soaring column.

Joe
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
The rule is clear. It makes no difference if a plane was flown before the Nostalgia cut off date of Jan. 1 1980. What determines eligibility is if the plan was published in the open media, or a kit was commercially available before the cutoff date.

This thread does not belong in XC, I will request it be moved to a more appropriate forum.

JT
Ummmm. OK why is this NOT the appropriate forum?! Its an XC bird. Maybe its not a $3000.00 plane from Skip Miller or somewhere in Europe, but people who fly XC know planes such as the Aquila XL.

From what I have seen, the plane was printed as a plan and sold PRIOR to 1980 and therefore it IS legal.

If I were denied its use in an AMA sanctioned event, I would petition my regional AMA contest director and if the plane wasn't allowed, I will QUIT the AMA and take my membership dues, and Aquila XL to LSF or some other organization.

Gambler
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:06 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler View Post
Caption under the picture says the kit was available for $130 15 years ago when it was in production. The article was published the June 1992 issue of Model Builder in Bill Forrey's Soaring column.

Joe
Thank you Joe!

I will print this out along with other documentation showing CLEARLY the Aquila XL was available prior to 1980.

It appears to me, that many of Lee Renault's designs are being discriminated against, when they clearly were available prior to the cut off date. I think it comes down to many people not being able to get their hands on these classics and therefore they are playing games in their attempts to ban them. Just my opinion.

Gambler
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,589 Posts
I thought this had been taken care of and accepted this past year somewhere along the way?

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGambler View Post
Ummmm. OK why is this NOT the appropriate forum?! Its an XC bird. Maybe its not a $3000.00 plane from Skip Miller or somewhere in Europe, but people who fly XC know planes such as the Aquila XL.

From what I have seen, the plane was printed as a plan and sold PRIOR to 1980 and therefore it IS legal.

If I were denied its use in an AMA sanctioned event, I would petition my regional AMA contest director and if the plane wasn't allowed, I will QUIT the AMA and take my membership dues, and Aquila XL to LSF or some other organization.

Gambler
Simple, you're talking about Nostalgia, not XC. What you've seen is nice, but documentation is king. You seem to be drawing a pretty hard line in the sand. It's your right, but not a very productive one. If the rules as they exist don't make sense to you, there is a very well defined mechanism to change them. Do something about it instead of complaining.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:16 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,777 Posts
I started flying in 1977 and remember seeing multiple Aquila XL's at the Harbor Soaring Society field, Gordon Ritschke in the above photo and Frank Chasteler were flying them. But what needs to be done is get the PROOF that the plans were published prior to the cutoff date, problem is, were they actually published and/or was the XL only available to locals in SoCal and not really sold on the open market.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2010
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
I started flying in 1977 and remember seeing multiple Aquila XL's at the Harbor Soaring Society field, Gordon Ritschke in the above photo and Frank Chasteler were flying them. But what needs to be done is get the PROOF that the plans were published prior to the cutoff date, problem is, were they actually published and/or was the XL only available to locals in SoCal and not really sold on the open market.
Well if the article was published in 1992, and the kit sold for $150, 15 years earlier (plans and kit were published), 1992 - 15 = 1977 < 1980. QED

So is the 1992 article a forgery? I will need to get the magazine it came from...

Gambler
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
479 Posts
Tim Renaud and family are still around, and should have magazine and publicity articles
of all their kits ??? has anyone ever contacted them ??

ross
harborflyer is online now Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Feb 01, 2012, 11:19 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,218 Posts
I'll save the trouble.

Joe
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
479 Posts
Is this not acceptable by the A.M.A. ??

ross
harborflyer is online now Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
One more time for those that don't read the rules. Proof of published plans or a commercial kit is required, not an article suggesting what may have been.

Do you really believe everything as absolute truth that is published in a magazine or newpaper?
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:35 AM
Tailspin
Grand Blanc, Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
436 Posts
It's not legal. Gordon Pierson (one of the lead guy's on the development team) and Tim Renaud have both said the plane does not meet the letter of the law. Gordon and I both tried to find data to substantiate the plan but failed.

Jack Iafret
Original "keeper of the nostalgia rules"
jiafret is offline Find More Posts by jiafret