Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Hi, Terence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
Are you using micro FPV electronics? My mini atom is pending delivery and I have some standard-size 5.8g FPV gear lying in the drawer:

sony 600tvl ccd (the famous pz0420) - 29g
foxtech 200mw 5.8g vtx - 35g
fpv battery 300mah 3S - 13g

Do you reckon this plane can piggyback 80g?
I doubt if the performance of the Atom would be very impressive with that load, but I'm pretty sure it would fly. I received my new receiver yesterday, so we went out this morning, to try the new Atom with new equipment. We didn't have our batteries charged so it wasn't very conclusive. My wife was to watch the flight through the goggles, while I flew the Atom normally. She reported a pretty grainy view, and then I hit LVC, and had to land. At least the Atom performed well. We will try again, tomorrow. I hope that much better FPV system you have will work out for you!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Closer to FPV

Took the Atom up, with charged betteries, wife wearing the Foxtech goggles, this morning early. She reported grainy, crummy video, close in, and loss of video, at range. We shut down & went for an oatmeal breakfast, and discovered that we had the goggles set for channel 4, instead of channel 5. We went back out, put in fresh batteries, and had a good flight. I got way high & far out, and she could still see a good picture! The little tiny all-in-one 5.8gHz is a good FPV camera! You should set the contrast & brightness controls on the goggles, as necessary.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
-= Trojan Man =-
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jan 2012
856 Posts
Got my Atom yesterday. I too suffered the glued push rod issue. For me, the push rod tube had glue in the very middle of the overall length of the tube. No way it was an accident in my humble opinion. I dont see how glue could slip into the tube and only be in the center of it. Seems more on purpose if you ask me.

I managed to fix the glued push rods. I detroyed my elevator in the process. I also ripped out the entire tube out of the plane and had to feed it back into the fuselage. I had to cut tube in half to strip the glue from the rod and man was it a pain.

Once I fixed the push rods I set out to make a new elevator. My brother gave me some 5mm foam sheet from Home Depot and I cut it to size and beveled the back edge. I secured it with some parkflyer hinges and CA. I cut a small hole for the control rod and glued it on and then attached the clevice and push rod. It worked like a charm!

Im using Gens Ace 2S 450mah packs and am flying for about 10 minutes with room to spare. The plane performs well and is fun to fly but I find it sensitive to wind influence which makes the wings dip from time to time. I also would like to see it have more speed. Dont get me wrong, the stock setup is beyond amazing for the price. Im talking more about potential upgrades. I bet a new motor and a better prop would work wonders.

Has anyone added a brushless motor? Anyone know what size brushless motor will fit it? Also wondering if there are and APC or MAS props that will fit the stock motor shaft. Do we need an adapter/collet for that?

Im currently hand painting a custom scheme with neon acrylic paints. Its a tribal influenced scheme featuring sharp black designs with green and yellow accents. Its taking some time but is looking great. I will post pictures once I finish the paint process.

Aside from minor issues with QC that require modding, there isnt anything else to question about this plane. Its tough and handles tumbles well. I cant wait to see what it is capable of with a few up grades.

Cheers,
Ary
Arycon is online now Find More Posts by Arycon
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
885 Posts
Will this receiver fit? Thanks

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Sat_Port_.html
ccsj is offline Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Apr 30, 2012, 12:03 PM
-= Trojan Man =-
Joined Jan 2012
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
I actually have that same rx and intend to use it for my Atom. I am currently using the micro orange rx but the range sucks. It only goes like 200 feet and loses signal. My brother has used the 6 channel orange rx up to 500 feet or so, but I recommend you use a satellite for extra insurance.

I do believe the Atom will take that rx up front. Might be tight but it should squeeze in the cockpit I am gonna install mine when I get home tonight.

Cheers,
Ary
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
885 Posts
My Cox 3 CH sky cruiser is almost dead and looking to replace it with something similar while I wait for my Bixler (it's been 2 weeks and havn't shipped yet!!). I hope to get the Atom sooner with US warehouse. what has been your experinece with delivery time to US from US warehouse once ordered? Also, can the wing be removed/reinstalled easily for transport? thanks.
ccsj is offline Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
-= Trojan Man =-
Joined Jan 2012
856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
My Cox 3 CH sky cruiser is almost dead and looking to replace it with something similar while I wait for my Bixler (it's been 2 weeks and havn't shipped yet!!). I hope to get the Atom sooner with US warehouse. what has been your experinece with delivery time to US from US warehouse once ordered? Also, can the wing be removed/reinstalled easily for transport? thanks.
Wings bolt on with three allen wrench (hex key) screws. The allen wrench is included and they easily pop in and out for transport. The glider is so small you probably wont need to remove the wing unless you are transporting it in a veey cramped space. It easily fits on the seat of a car with the wing on. Never used the USA warehouse.
Old May 01, 2012, 08:04 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,689 Posts
I made a mod to the rudder which I think improved handling.
The nice thing about it is that it can be undone rather easily.

The rudder was made full length by cutting the hinge line to the top and then taping the pieces together and tape hinging the top part.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 01, 2012, 08:30 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Took the Atom up, with charged betteries, wife wearing the Foxtech goggles, this morning early. She reported grainy, crummy video, close in, and loss of video, at range. We shut down & went for an oatmeal breakfast, and discovered that we had the goggles set for channel 4, instead of channel 5. We went back out, put in fresh batteries, and had a good flight. I got way high & far out, and she could still see a good picture! The little tiny all-in-one 5.8gHz is a good FPV camera! You should set the contrast & brightness controls on the goggles, as necessary.
That's cool Lancer! Do you have a link to that AIO camera? I have a pair of Foxtech googles which I used for flying micro FPV (my little UAV heli).
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old May 01, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,781 Posts
Say's it is sold out....

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/58g-20mw-m...tsc-p-210.html

I cut the big heavy power plug off on mine. I imagine there are a lot of these available in China.
I enjoyed your video, by the way!
Old May 04, 2012, 12:16 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jan 2012
58 Posts
Got one of these yesterday, a nice looking bird but the fuse had been glued together a little skewed - not a big deal but there was a noticeable lateral bend in it. Maidened it at lunchtime and I was less than impressed with the turning ability, it seemed to rely on a lot on propwash to get it yawing; without power on it was difficult to get it around.

I'll have a play with throws and see if I can get it trimmed a bit better... I was in a hurry today.
landolo is offline Find More Posts by landolo
Old May 04, 2012, 12:55 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,689 Posts
Sorry ATOM purists, I just couldn't help myself. It just seemed like it had to be done. A slice here, a slice there and before I knew it had all grown up and is now just like the big boys.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:58 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,689 Posts
If you are wondering about the AL foil on the fingers, it's a "cure" for stopping the pain of burns - dummy me picked up a piece of tubing I had just heated - wrong end. OUCH! This remedy came straight from the internet so it has to be true. But seriously, it works. I wouldn't have believed it but it did stop the pain.
Old May 04, 2012, 03:51 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
It just seemed like it had to be done.
Thanks for that, Hoppy. I received my Atom yesterday, and was delighted with how well made it was and how it went together. Flying it today for the first time, though, was a big disappointment. I found it very twitchy and prone to suddenly dropping a wing for no apparent reason. Not good, since it's intended mainly for the grandkids. I will have to put ailerons on it, I said to myself.

Good to see others think the same way. How does it fly with the ailerons?
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old May 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,689 Posts
I don't have the slightest idea....I'll report back on that tomorrow.

With the stock steup, put the cg on the holes under the wing (spar) and reduce the rudder throw to about +/-1/4". Also, keep the speed up. It doesn't like hard turn inputs!!!

My nose looks like a punch drunk fighters snout from the hard right and in the ground turns.
Last edited by hoppy; May 04, 2012 at 05:19 PM.