SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Got mine and put it together. Had one problem in that the elevator wire was hanging up in the tube.giving full down but little up. Invertigation showed the the wire could not be pushed through the tube without pulling on the other end. Decided the easiest fix was to cut the wire at the servo and remove it. Examination showed a coating of glue/epoxy/? on about 1/2" of the wire just in front of the tube at the servo end. This prevented the wire from easily slipping through the tube. Replaced the wire with a piece of 0.020" music wire and now it's slick working.

Test gliding with the cg just behind the carbon spar showed a nice flat glide.

Can't wait to maiden this little bugger - like was said - very very nice job they did on it.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Contact cement disasters....

As many of us have seen, working with contact cements requires special care and attention. When the folks that assemble these models turn out hundreds of examples of a given design, odds are that a few will suffer some degradation from the stringy filaments of glue that slipped by un-noticed. Glued pushrods are common, as well as motor/geartrain problems, when fuselage halves are glued together.
Best of luck with your Atom, it is quite an impressive model!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Apr 15, 2012, 09:15 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Got the maiden flight in this morning, wind at 10 mph. My first impression was it was very slow to respond to a rudder command. Seems like it took forever to start to turn but then when it did it banked too much so it looked like it was wallowing around. The cg was just behind the spar with the stock battery all the way forward.

Perhaps I have too much rudder throw +/- 1cm.

I'm thinking about extending the rudder all the way to the top of the tail fin.

Any ideas??

And then again, it might have been the wind that was the problem.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Could have been the wind...

We have only flown our Atoms early in the morning, when it was calm, and found them to be responsive to our commands. You could make the rudder bigger, as you suggested, but with it back there in the prop blast, I would not do it. The throw on ours is about 10cm, on high rate.
Last edited by Lancer31; Apr 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Thanks Lancer31. The winds here today have been strong, 16mph right now. I see you've only got 9mph in the center of the state. The coast always seems to have stronger winds. We have it a bit windier but also about 5 -10 deg cooler. Right now we have 79 and you're around 85. How about that 50's forecast for tomorrow morning?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Thanks Lancer31. The winds here today have been strong, 16mph right now. I see you've only got 9mph in the center of the state. The coast always seems to have stronger winds. We have it a bit windier but also about 5 -10 deg cooler. Right now we have 79 and you're around 85. How about that 50's forecast for tomorrow morning?
It has been gusty for several days, even hear it flapping in the ceiling vent.
50 degrees, wow! Looks like I'll have to wear my North Face "hoody", when we walk over to the coffee shop for breakfast!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:50 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Lancer, check out this guys mods. Increased rudder 3.5X, brushless motor, raised pod.
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...AAj2xaFQB9Ltkg

I might try a a little more area.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
-= Trojan Man =-
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jan 2012
861 Posts
Well, Lancer, you made me do it. I broke down and pulled the trigger on this neat looking little glider. I hope to have her in hand in about 10 days or so, knowing Hobby King. Even EMS from them isnt quite express

I am really looking forward to putting around with this little beauty at the local park or club field. Nothing better than a sweet and gentle glider to just relax and have fun with.

Real quick though, how fast does this little thing go?
How well does it ride currents and or wind to glide?
And lastly, I ordered 450mah lipos that should fit the lipo bay, based on the info posted here. What kind of flight time can I expect with these 450mah lipos using mixed throttle management?

Just looking for a rough idea. Im really excited to fly this thing. Thanks for the heads up on it, Lancer.
Arycon is offline Find More Posts by Arycon
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
You're gonna love it!

Judy's Atom (7 min 58 sec)
a vid of a stock flight. Almost 8 minutes, on the stock Li-ion battery.
More later.

Ignore the onscreen info, this was shot this morning, at sunup.
Last edited by Lancer31; Apr 20, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:20 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Bad link for me Lancer31 -
Takes me to an annotation function.

Traced my earlier problems to too much rudder control.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Bad link for me Lancer31 -
Takes me to an annotation function.

Traced my earlier problems to too much rudder control.
Try this one.

Judy's Atom (7 min 58 sec)

If you look at the rudder on an airliner, and see how much throw they use, that will be about right. It's probably about 25 degrees. Anymore is just drag. Too much chord is bad, also.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:01 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Very nice - was that an Osprey attack I saw? We have a lot of encounters with them on the coast.

How far does your 450mah pack extend pass the rear of the air vent opening? Right now mine is just at the beginning, no pack in sight looking through the hole.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Very nice - was that an Osprey attack I saw? We have a lot of encounters with them on the coast.

How far does your 450mah pack extend pass the rear of the air vent opening? Right now mine is just at the beginning, no pack in sight looking through the hole.
No, just a curious crow. We haven't flown with the larger packs, yet, and will probably use the 500mAh ones we bought, which should double the flight time to about 16 minutes. In any case, you have to do whatever is necessary to bring the CG to its proper location, in every case.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
No, just a curious crow. We haven't flown with the larger packs, yet, and will probably use the 500mAh ones we bought, which should double the flight time to about 16 minutes. In any case, you have to do whatever is necessary to bring the CG to its proper location, in every case.
Where do you recommend the cg being for the ATOM?
Never mind, I see you already posted that info.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:10 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Here's looking at you, kid! 5.8 gHz fpv setup that I hope to try. Waiting for the correct receiver to arrive. The nose area cut-out was done to accomodate my #16 keyfob camera. May fair it in a little, if it works.
Are you using micro FPV electronics? My mini atom is pending delivery and I have some standard-size 5.8g FPV gear lying in the drawer:

sony 600tvl ccd (the famous pz0420) - 29g
foxtech 200mw 5.8g vtx - 35g
fpv battery 300mah 3S - 13g

Do you reckon this plane can piggyback 80g?
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan