HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Pudsey
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
Thanks for those Andy, just the long wait until Christmas now so I can unbox it and get started with the mods
fraggs is offline Find More Posts by fraggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
Merry Christmas, I opened the box checked the parts over and the elevator pushrod was glued, 2mins sorted it out with a squash from some pliers, I then noticed the fuselage was twisted, when the carbon spar was glued in they havent aligned the 2 halves correctly, just my luck (I only seem to have the bad kind), so it looks like it will be going back, only thing they are now on backorder in the UK warehouse, along with the Mini Swift, various Bixlers and a few others I thought about getting too
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:05 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,913 Posts
That's a bummer! I bet you wished you had asked "your significant other" to let you have a sneaky look in the box when it arrived. If you were closer, I'd let you borrow mine until the replacement arrives. Got any relatives visiting down south who might be heading past Bristol on their way back home to your area?
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
aye a bit of a pain, no one on the way past yours Andy, thanks for the offer tho, I am undecided now if to get the atom again or the mini swift (brushless and ailerons as standard) I will wait and see what reply I get from HK , would have a go at splitting the fuselage but it is that rubbery glue that dont cut too easy, but it would probs end up a mess if I attempted it
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,913 Posts
Well, if this helps make your mind up then have a look at my upgraded Mini Swift in action
Mini Swift on 2500kv motor (2 min 42 sec)
or you could go for the HK Vector 850 if you still want a pusher
Vector 850 Skysurfer 25Nov12 (5 min 1 sec)
although I got mine from Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1509437986...84.m1439.l2649
Andy
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Got my Atom for christmas, this is my first RC plane (got quads/heli's) and can't wait for some calm dry weather to maiden it.

I think i've got it all set up right, CG on the wing spar, battery/RX secured well and some tape on the underside to protect it a little if I don't land on smooth grass.

I was wondering if anyone can advise/provide linky on parts required for an aileron mod? I've played a bit on a sim with various planes and find it FAR easier to fly with ailerons. I think i've got a couple of servo's that should do the job, do I just need a Y-Splitter for those and some control horns/pushrods? Is there a specific size/type of rod/horn I should use?
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,913 Posts
Here is my aileron mod with plenty of pictures
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=257 . I use these smaller horns on slower planes http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._horn_set.html and I would think that 1-2mm rod size would be fine
The best way of quickly find interesting mods is to use the thread tools>Show attachments.... When you want details of the post linked to the picture just click on "post/picts in thread"
Andy
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
spoilt me for choice now Andy, you have just made my choice loads harder now,cheers mate , I have got a reply from HK I was quite shocked they would have anyone working, need to send them some pics of the problem (just sent them some) and they will get intouch about what they are going to do, just wait for a reply now.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:24 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Well, if this helps make your mind up then ...HK Vector 850 if you still want a pusher
Andy
or a EPO pearl, just add in motor esc & servos. Dirt cheap & well made (I think)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...span_ARF_.html
The Pearl actually flys beautify, slow & steady, the complete opposite the the atom.
Only issue with these front engine planes: 1 crash & you have bent motor shaft & a rather tricky front fuselage repair . You need to be really carefull with them.

AXN, bixler, Atom, vector, you can really take chances with how you fly em. Much more fun in that regard.
With Pod engined pusher planes, it doesnt really matter how bent & mucked up the front gets. I ordered a Vector, my Pearl is in the que for repairs
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:54 AM
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on poss crash damage 1101 (not used to crashing but with these smaller planes and my eyesight.......) just finished the rebuild of thr Raven flying wing so if the weather picks up I still have something to fly/crash
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:10 AM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
How Does The Mini Atom Fly Compared To An Easy Star?

I have a question about the mini atom. I have two of them I bought last summer but never got around to assembling them. I got one to flya and another for parts. I was looking for something that flys like the Easy Star but about half the size. I didn't realize how small it was until I opened the box. My eyes are 63 years old and my experience with small aircraft and heli's is not good. Does anyone have experience flying both the Easy Star and the Atom? I have no problem keeping up with an Easy Star but I wonder if the atom might be too small and too fast for an old geezer?
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:04 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,913 Posts
fraggs, or this one for just a few $ more http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=30019
Andy
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
504 Posts
[QUOTE=Rickochet;23631994 I have no problem keeping up with an Easy Star but I wonder if the atom might be too small and too fast for an old geezer?[/QUOTE]

I have an atom and a AXN (similar to easy star)
You should have no problems with the atom, it can fly reasonably slowish. Throw out the OEM batts & get a 360/480mah Lipo & lipo alarm. A better GWS prop also helps.
My friend has an Easystar & Atom, lowest speed isnt that huge a difference between the 2.
Even tough we have quite a few planes, our atoms always get a fly .

Atom is really bank & yank, you'll need to really throw the sticks around, thats what makes it so much fun. Landing speed is higher than the easystar.

Before you attach the wing, watch what happens to the pushrod guide tubes under where the wing sits when then rudder/elevators servos are working.. The tubes need to be supported to stop them moving around/flexing too much & interfering with each other.
Cut that small plastic fig8 thing & glue a peice of foam under the pushrods.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Last edited by 1101; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:00 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post
I have an atom and a AXN (similar to easy star)
You should have no problems with the atom, it can fly reasonably slowish. Throw out the OEM batts & get a 360/480mah Lipo & lipo alarm. A better GWS prop also helps.
My friend has an Easystar & Atom, lowest speed isnt that huge a difference between the 2.
Even tough we have quite a few planes, our atoms always get a fly .

Atom is really bank & yank, you'll need to really throw the sticks around, thats what makes it so much fun. Landing speed is higher than the easystar.

Before you attach the wing, watch what happens to the pushrod guide tubes under where the wing sits when then rudder/elevators servos are working.. The tubes need to be supported to stop them moving around/flexing too much & interfering with each other.
Cut that small plastic fig8 thing & glue a peice of foam under the pushrods.
Thanks for the info.

Rick
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
fraggs, or this one for just a few $ more http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=30019
Andy
The moose decals looks fun , I would really prefer a ready to fly Andy but depending on what the reply from HK about the Atom is , I might think about going down the kit type route, you have given me plenty of options to look at I think rlass is getting worried that I might be ordering more than one of them