HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
The beauty is in the details!

It is amazing how well engineered this little glider is! The canopy attachment, the cooling air paths, the parts layout, the wing mounting. Even the nose shape, (which I didn't think I would like, when I first saw the ad), is designed to take the inevitable klonk into the ground, and fare better than a more pointy nose would!
As soon as we get a calm morning, we'll see how well these little $30 bargains fly!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
We're ready to fly!

Lots of wind, at the moment, but it will die down.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 07:06 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Cg??

Recommended CG for the Atom Mini Glider? No CG is called out in the manual, anyone know what the correct CG range is for this little model?
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
On the high point.

Where the carbon spar is, will probably be very close to it. Will verify, when the wind quits blowing!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:11 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
First test flights excellent!

H. King Atoms flew perfectly. #16 cameras took beautiful movies.
The Center of Gravity is at the carbon spar, (27mm back from the LE, plus or minus 2mm), so balance the model there, as shown in the previous photo. We are quite pleased with these models. They did good!
Last edited by Lancer31; Mar 05, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
H. King Atoms flew perfectly. #16 cameras took beautiful movies.
The Center of Gravity is at the carbon spar, (27mm back from the LE, plus or minus 2mm), so balance the model there, as shown in the previous photo. We are quite pleased with these models. They did good!

AWESOME!! Thanks for the CG confirmation!
Old Mar 06, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Glad I could help!

Picture shows where my equipment ended up. Moving the Velcro aft & over to the side, for the battery pack, was actually beneficial in that the cooling airscoops are
un-obstructed now.
Little breezy, this A.M.,so we'll pass on flying, for today.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Desperate mission!

We had a calm morning, so we went out early & flew our little 9 Eagle Sky 500s.
Against my own advice, I let mine get too far out, and lost sight of it. I killed the power right away, but could not re-acquire it visually. We tromped around in the weeds for a while, but no joy, so here's what we will do today;
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:58 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
We had a calm morning, so we went out early & flew our little 9 Eagle Sky 500s.
Against my own advice, I let mine get too far out, and lost sight of it. I killed the power right away, but could not re-acquire it visually. We tromped around in the weeds for a while, but no joy, so here's what we will do today;
well? how did the search & rescue mission went for the little Sky 500?
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Nov 2008
467 Posts
Sorry to hear that your sky500 escaped, it is the trade off of flying mircos. I had two 2-ch lost already. Hope you get it back.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:57 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Busy, but basically a failure.

We went out to the site, flew our patterns with the camera-equipped Atoms, only to learn when we got back to the computers, that our #16 cameras had decided to automatically shut down, before we even launched the models!
So, we went back out, and tromped around some more, (quite difficult for old folks, especially because of the many briar-patches)! Still no luck, so we came home & studied the #16 manual, & Tom Frank's thread about these great cameras, and learned how to download & use the very convenient 808 #16 camera setup program.
It is a thing of beauty, & a joy to behold! (I even got Judy to go through the procedure of her own system).
So now, we are ready to go out and try the whole thing over again. Repot to follow,
and thanks for the sympathy!
Last edited by Lancer31; Mar 09, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Still no luck.

Did what I said we would, but couldn't spot the Sky 500 in either movie. We will try farther out, (and try to fly more smoothly), tomorrow.
NOT! Owing to post frontal winds.
If the tiny Sky 500 landed nose-down, or clipped a wing on a weed, (there is only a small magnet holding the wing on), and dis-assembled, it would be very hard to spot, from above.
May have to write that one off. We'll see.
Last edited by Lancer31; Mar 10, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:41 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,945 Posts
I haven't been able to find a flight video of the Atom. Anybody know of one. I'd like to see it in the air.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
No movies, yet.

Our Atoms fly great, just the way we want them to, but we haven't had much luck shooting movies of them in flight.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Hey Guys, Just received my atom today (YAY!!) cant seem to get it to throttle up, I read about the safety feature of throttling up and then back to activate it, but no go, I tried plugging the ESC into the rudder channel and go left right and off the motor goes, so it's not the ESC.

And I tried plugging a servo into the throttle channel, it moves the servo. I even tried another set for radio gear. same result.

I'm thinking the ESC isn't detecting full movement on the stick?
how long are the we talking for this safety feature, like literally push the stick up and then back and it should be good to go?
or hold it full throttle for a few seconds and then back and wait?
Capri82 is offline Find More Posts by Capri82