HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:31 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy View Post
Subscribed.................................
Hey Frank, what's this, subbing to an ARTF model thread? You must have plans for using one of these for some indoor flying up there in the frozen north
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:41 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Well, it's like this...............

With some mods the Atom may make a good replacement for the Kenetic on the slope now that both it and the Merlin are out of production, then be brought out again at the park for some giddy fun. For the cost, worth a try.
We'll see. The Kenetic with ailerons and rudder can do some amazing stuff with just wind power.

And yes, we do fly indoor, but only in the dark months. You'd have to talk to Harry D about the frozen north. We very seldom ever see that white stuff here except up in the mountains, it's very moderate here, we're more like the Flordia of the north..........with all the old retired people too.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:50 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
Well, if you are after a Kinetic/Merlin style glider but want it as a pure sloper, what about this HK offering. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mm_Kit_.html
Even "includes "moose" decals" and cheaper at US$26.62 as it's a kit but not available in the USA warehouse. Still, at only 975g, the postage shouldn't be too bad. This Spirit powered glider looks to be the Kinetic's replacement http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._EPO_PNF_.html
In May, my son had a two week holiday in Canada visiting his best friend who has now come back from a 12m working holiday in Canada, mostly on the east coast. Said that the lakes will be freezing up soon. Loved the country and the people and I think he plans to go back.
Andy
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:33 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Yup, looked at that one too.

Here on the island we float fly every Monday all year round and generally loose only a few Mondays in the winter from rain, but that's about it. You can't do that in the rest of this country because we get our weather from Hawaii in the winter months.

You've heard of the Pineapple Express haven't you? The weather pattern that is, not the dopper movie. This is Vancouver Island, not the city of Vancouver where they get 20X the rain we do.

Well, off to the slope, looks like 20/25 knots from the right direction, 23C at noon and we have a low tide in two hours. Now, where did I put that lead..................
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:19 AM
United States, WI, Muskego
Joined Sep 2012
841 Posts
After getting hooked on RC a few months ago, my son has been bit by the bug as well. He doesn't want to fly my Super Cub, as it's too large and he's seen the damage I have done to it by unexpected "landings", and my UM T-28 is in too good of shape (and too expensive) for him to give it a shot.

We looked at the options and it was either an Ultra Micro like the Champ, or a pusher-style. He wanted something different from what I've got, so we went with the Atom. Cheap and easy for him to learn on. If it gets destroyed, no big loss.

I trolled the message board here and figured the Atom would be a decent starting platform, and would like to thank everybody here for all their input on the good, bad, and ugly of this plane. Fingers are crossed that it gets less abuse than my SC!

I don't know if this is the appropriate place for this or not, but after ordering last night from HK (hopefully we get the order delivered before winter hits...) I got a "BuddyCode" which saves people a couple bucks when ordering this plane: http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...1-0FC1C55C2D88 .

I'm really looking forward to throwing this plane into the air! Um, I mean my son is excited about it. Yeah, that's what I meant...!
Joker 53150 is offline Find More Posts by Joker 53150
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
Hi Joker and a big welcome to RC Groups. The Atom should fit the bill but remember, in stock trim, it hasn't enough grunt to cope with much more than 5 mph winds. It also needs full throws on the rudder and some opposite command to straighten her out.
If you are up to some simple building (for yourself) then have a look at the scratch built Simple Delta and the Funbat. Both very good fliers and especially in windy weather
Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Sep 22, 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Sep 2012
841 Posts
5mph is fine - that's about the limit I'll take my UM T-28 up in anyway.

I looked at the Funbat and Simple Delta, as we started the boy off by building a Nutball. I'm possibly the only one who really didn't like how the Nutball flew though. It might have just been my CoG, control throws, power-to-weight ratio, or something else, but it just didn't want to behave in the air. We made two of 'em, and bought electronic for one, so we'll try installing everything on the second one to see if it's any better. It'll give us something to do while waiting and waiting and waiting for the brown box from Hong Kong to show up.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:22 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
You are not alone as I didn't like the flight characteristics of the Nutball I built. Had more success with the Smart Dart especially with a flat wing and ailerons. Nice cheap built with a BW 1300-1700 kv motor, 10 amp esc and 500-800 mAh lipo. Go for 2s and larger prop for slow flying and 3s and 1" smaller prop for a bit more speed.
Andy
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
841 Posts
Interesting, I'll have to give that a shot. I'll just have to pirate the gear off of the boy's Nutball and give one of 'em a shot. It will give me something to do since it's been so windy lately. Thanks for the input on it.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:04 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
Wait! Get that NB out again. Check that the balance is at 25% to start and that you've got the motors thrust angles correct, about 5 degrees down and 3 to the right and give it another go. Important.........just enough rudder/elevator input and throttle to keep it flying while you trim it out.

I've never seen one that didn't fly well and have had three locals TEACH THEMSELVES TO
FLY on it.

Remember.............the difference between a great flying model and a crappy one is finding the correct CG and on a design without tail feathers it takes a bit more effort to get it right. Just a little adjustment at a time is all it takes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:14 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
I thought mention of the Nutball would wake up goldguy!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
841 Posts
I might give it another shot, but for now I'm going to shelve it and try one of the other designs. I'm sure I'll come back to it when the shine wears off a new plane. For now I just need to build SOMETHING, and have no other planes that need any work (until my next delivery from HK arrives!).
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,267 Posts
I'm awake, for now, nap time soon. Was up in the wee hours watching F1.

I just hate to see guys give up and miss out on all the fun. You know, just about anything can be made to fly with just a little fiddling and diddling. Here's proof...........based on Ken Willard's 1/2A powered Ragtime Flying Machine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:19 PM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy View Post
Here's proof...........based on Ken Willard's 1/2A powered Ragtime Flying Machine.
that'd be a windsock, wouldn't it ?
scruffy1 is online now Find More Posts by scruffy1
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:18 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,079 Posts
You don't even need 2 wings to fly. Landings more of an issue
Tim "One Wing" flying his beat up shockie at the 2012 SWMEE indoor hall (1 min 5 sec)

Andy
Last edited by headlessagain; Sep 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM.