HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 04:12 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
It's the same motor like those on a 4-channel coaxial Heli (esky lama / eflite bcx), runs on 2S. Its power is equivalent to a 3600kv inrunner's on 2S setup as well.
Not on this plane.....
I put a 3000kv on mine. The speed & power of that is considerably more than the std motor, especially in wind.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 05:30 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Thanks for sharing, I will keep it in mind if I go brushless.
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:24 PM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
waa...been away quiet a while frm this thread......my atom still in the plastic bag (after 1st flight that didnt goes well).......time for a revival...emm....talking abt brushless motor for the Atom.......kind share the models that u guys been using?...
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:45 AM
Floater
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2011
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
waa...been away quiet a while frm this thread......my atom still in the plastic bag (after 1st flight that didnt goes well).......time for a revival...emm....talking abt brushless motor for the Atom.......kind share the models that u guys been using?...
mine too, one is parts only now, the other may yet fly but did require glue to get back to resembling a plane
bigmoe is offline Find More Posts by bigmoe
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
mine just eagerly waiting to be flown...but.....Im buzy wt my F450....
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
8 Posts
Awesome

I registered for this forum because I have this plane. It is the first plane I have ever flown and it is a lot of fun. Below I have put in some considerations if you are new like me.

This thing is pretty indestructible. I crashed it into the car and only broke one prop, I would definitely recommend taping some duct tape to the polystyrene behind the propeller, as if you crash hard enough the prop can flex and take chunks out of the wing. Also when buying it buy another set of Props.

I would also make sure the canopy is duct taped on, as I had a few issues with it popping off mid flight and having the receiver dangle out slightly as I was flying. If you are going to glue the wing on, make sure the coupler from the motor to the ESC is taped on, as again, when crashing it can pop out (which would be really hard to plug back in if you glue the wing on).

When I got it from Hobbyking one of the guide rods for the servo was glued onto the innter tube inside the plane, I had the pull the whole rod out with a pair of pliers and reinstall.

I got an extra battery with mine, a Turnigy Nano Tech 460MAH 25-40C 7.4v 2Cell, it makes it fly faster than the stock battery.

I want to upgrade it to a brushless motor when I get the hang of flying it properly, as I have a spare 20Amp ESC, if someone could point out what motor, cone and prop combo I should get that'd be sweet
WhiteGoldSlugga is offline Find More Posts by WhiteGoldSlugga
Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Hi WGS and welcome to RC Groups
I've just assembled mine and hope to maiden tomorrow if the weather permits. It will certainly make a change from my Skyangel Funfighter Seafury
I had no control rod binding on mine so I guess I got lucky. I've also bought some spare 450 2S Gens Ace packs & I converted the connectors to mini deans.
There are a few brushless conversions already posted and the 1st consideration will be matching the motor kv to the cell count (2 or 3) and prop that the motor can spin without fouling the boom. You won't need anything as big as a 20 amp esc unless you are planning on shoehorning a relative monster of a motor into it. An esc of 6 to 10 amp will be fine.
I think that you would need to add some 3mm x 1mm carbon flats to extend the spar to the up turn wing tips as the wing tips are a bit floppy as standard.
I will try on standard but I imagine that it won't be long before I add a couple of 3.5 - 5g for ailerons then a high kv 2s brushless set up.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:34 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Motor arming and successful maiden

Motor arming
For anybody having issues arming the motor just follow the instructions but firstly reduce the throttle trim down all the way. It will then arm and you can re-trim until the motor runs on the trim tab. Back it off until it stops and you are good to go.
Successful maiden flight completed.
All stock except Gens Ace 450 mAh 2s lipo instead of bundled pack. I'd trimmed a little left in which seemed about right and elevator at neutral. Not the most rapid of planes in my hanger and needed to dive to build up airspeed prior to pulling a loop. She will hold altitude at around 60% power.You do need to give it a bit of opposite rudder to exit a turn but not as much as I'd thought from other posts. First flight ended in a hand catch which illustrates that the little Atom will track nice and true hands off. Thought I'd toss her in the air again but she dived to the left, I over corrected to the right and she went in. The Atom is so light that there was zero damage so I thought I'd treat her to a chuck glider launch. A nice firm throw, slightly up, saw her at a nice safe height so that I could get on the sticks. I would recommend this style of launch if you are a newbie or if there is zero wind as it helps build up airspeed and avoids that dip before she gets up to speed. Total airtime was 10.5 mins of mixed flying
I did a 2nd flight with the standard pack as far forward as possible but this resulted in a more rearward c of g and she was not as nice to fly. I would recommend adding a little nose weight so she balances on or just infront of the spar.
I do have hatcam video which I'll edit and upload to YouTube and attach later.
Andy
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:47 AM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Motor arming
For anybody having issues arming the motor just follow the instructions but firstly reduce the throttle trim down all the way. It will then arm and you can re-trim until the motor runs on the trim tab. Back it off until it stops and you are good to go.
Successful maiden flight completed.
All stock except Gens Ace 450 mAh 2s lipo instead of bundled pack. I'd trimmed a little left in which seemed about right and elevator at neutral. Not the most rapid of planes in my hanger and needed to dive to build up airspeed prior to pulling a loop. She will hold altitude at around 60% power.You do need to give it a bit of opposite rudder to exit a turn but not as much as I'd thought from other posts. First flight ended in a hand catch which illustrates that the little Atom will track nice and true hands off. Thought I'd toss her in the air again but she dived to the left, I over corrected to the right and she went in. The Atom is so light that there was zero damage so I thought I'd treat her to a chuck glider launch. A nice firm throw, slightly up, saw her at a nice safe height so that I could get on the sticks. I would recommend this style of launch if you are a newbie or if there is zero wind as it helps build up airspeed and avoids that dip before she gets up to speed. Total airtime was 10.5 mins of mixed flying
I did a 2nd flight with the standard pack as far forward as possible but this resulted in a more rearward c of g and she was not as nice to fly. I would recommend adding a little nose weight so she balances on or just infront of the spar.
I do have hatcam video which I'll edit and upload to YouTube and attach later.
Andy
nice ...will be waiting....
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:07 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,032 Posts
Vid is up with the usual loss of quality due to compression
HobbyKing Atom RC glider maiden flight (4 min 53 sec)

Andy
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:08 PM
Geezer
Central Kentucky
Joined Oct 2006
3,536 Posts
I had been looking for a smaller version of an Easy Star type aircraft. Maybe this is it. Anywho, I will know soon. I ordered two this morning.
Rickochet is offline Find More Posts by Rickochet
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Vid is up with the usual loss of quality due to compression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbydazWuN10
Andy
you video makes me want to get mine on the air ASAP?..........
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:11 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,250 Posts
Subscribed.................................
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
Floater
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2011
29 Posts
took one of my atoms out for another go on a calm day last weekend. achieved a couple of short flights that mainly consisted of fighting major right roll. after a couple of crashes, one of which broke a wing at the end of the spar, i discovered that the motor is glued in crooked.
this has been the cause for 2 busted planes and plenty of frustration and i feel that this gear really shouldn't be sold as rtf with this kind of quality control
bigmoe is offline Find More Posts by bigmoe
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
looking up down under
Australia, NSW, Fairlight
Joined Feb 2008
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
took one of my atoms out for another go on a calm day last weekend. achieved a couple of short flights that mainly consisted of fighting major right roll. after a couple of crashes, one of which broke a wing at the end of the spar, i discovered that the motor is glued in crooked.
this has been the cause for 2 busted planes and plenty of frustration and i feel that this gear really shouldn't be sold as rtf with this kind of quality control
it flew

it was ready to

can't complain about that
scruffy1 is offline Find More Posts by scruffy1