SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 01, 2012, 03:33 AM
Malaysia, Sabah, Kuala Penyu
Joined Aug 2011
727 Posts
not a success maiden

I maidened mine this morning but not a succesful one. After launch, the atom rosed a bit then it turned & roll to the right and crash nose first on the tarmac surface. I tried a 2nd and 3rd launch..the same thing happened. Fortunately, nothing is broken, just a cranky nose but that can be repair with some hot water @ hair dryer. Upon inspection, I found out that the rudder fin is not 100% vertical, a slight bend@warp at the lower end bcoz of a missed attachment the hinges when I was repairing the tore rudder fin. Maybe I have to make a new fin for the rudder. Well......just be positive about it and looking forward to the next flight.
CPMBOY is offline Find More Posts by CPMBOY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:08 AM
Rotary~myPast,Present &Future!
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Sounds like my Atom, I suspected the 3 screws were getting loose due to the crashes... I tried to stay positive, but the 4th launch's right spin dive broke the prop and that was the spare prop... I had to call it a day. And I have found a suitable prop, which is the GWS 4350 (Heli tail prop) and I'm tempted to do the boiling water treatment to give my atom a full over haul.
terencechan is offline Find More Posts by terencechan
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:51 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
I need a glider that is cheap and I can sacrifice. I want to start flying gliders over the river and fly over a big lake. If I lose it in the water I don't want to be out on too big an investment. This glider might fit my needs. Not sure if I want this glider or one of those Bixler or that AXN Floater Jet glider.
I wouldn't recommend this plane for what you have in mind. I'd recommend a larger size like the Bixler or others like it. Larger = easier to fly. Can you build a plane from foam? If so look at the Blue Baby - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=blue+babi or the Sea Plane version - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954868
It's one SUPER flying machine - slow, glides well, hard to get into trouble but easy to get out of trouble, can land it in a very small area, etc etc. Works with cheap motors-servos-etc.

I built the Sea Plane version for doing just what you are talking about. It takes off from grass and/or water.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 01, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I wouldn't recommend this plane for what you have in mind. I'd recommend a larger size like the Bixler or others like it. Larger = easier to fly. Can you build a plane from foam? If so look at the Blue Baby

I built the Sea Plane version for doing just what you are talking about. It takes off from grass and/or water.

No, I've not made my own foam plane yet. I'm getting more and more confident in my electric glider skills. And I want something small that fits in the back seat easy and does not take twenty minutes to put together like my FPV Raptor.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:12 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,175 Posts
I'd go with a larger plane. I have the cloudfly (?) and it flies nice. Will stay up a long time with any thermals around and big enough to glide a long way.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:34 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaeyes View Post
the stock prop is 11cm, you can use 5inch or 4inch prop. hmm how about prop adapter? 2mm prop adapter on brushed motor??
The GWS heli tail prop for the honeybee FP2 (fixed pitch heli)'s direct-drive tail rotor works very well on the mini atom with stock motor
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencechan View Post
The GWS heli tail prop for the honeybee FP2 (fixed pitch heli)'s direct-drive tail rotor works very well on the mini atom with stock motor
oh good, where can I get that?? although I still have a backup, maybe I'll need more propeller
alphaeyes is offline Find More Posts by alphaeyes
Old Jun 02, 2012, 08:30 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXHHE2&P=8
The prop mount that comes included in the above link will only fit onto the 1.5mm shaft of the Heli tail motor, so I asked my friend to help me enlarge the hole to 2mm... it's a piece of cake with his Dremel hand drill.

Else you could just get the GWS EP4530 prop and use a standard prop adapter for 2mm shaft.
Old Jun 02, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
thanks. haha yes it would be easier if you have that tool. maybe I'll pick EP4530 and prop adapter at a local hobby shop ..
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
42 Posts
crash today. lost 2 screws, a broken nose. This plane is a good diver
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:15 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
how to tame the diving characteristic of the mini atom

sorry to hear that. But your last statement is true, the plane is too good at diving.

If anyone cares, below are the steps I took to tame my mini atom.

1. set the rudder sub-trim such that the fin is neutral mechanically
2. reduce the DR of the rudder to 70%
3. set the endpoints to 60 (left) and 55 (right) << most mini atoms like to pull right upon power
4. test flight
5. level out plane and center its heading and release all sticks
6. apply trim on the rudder until plane heads straight (no tendency to steer L/R)

7. apply rudder stick commands and observe the following for both L & R
>>> how quickly or how aggressively the plane dives when full rudder stick is applied

8. If the plane starts to dive very quickly when full-rudder is applied , land the plane, decrease endpoint by 2% and do the test flight again

9. once you have reduced the end-point to the point that your plane stops doing its vicious full-rudder dives, then you can start to work on speeding up its reaction to your rudder stick command

10. Drop EPA by 5% will make the rudder more responsive (but don't decrease too much as it is natural that the plane will take a while to turn after the rudder fin moves) and increase the end-point by 1% at a time until the plane turns promptly enough on your command

The sweet spot would be getting the plane to react fast enough without it exhibiting its vicious "rudder dives".
Last edited by terencechan; Jun 03, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 11:21 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Hi Lancer,

i finally put together my FPV mini atom...this time with lighter electronics...since the last attempt to make it carry 50g was a complete failure.
I can't wait for to get a test flight soon and record an aerial footage from my FPV ground station.
Here are some photos. Enjoy!
Old Jun 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Looking good!

That should work out quite well. Best of luck!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jun 05, 2012, 12:02 PM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
Thanks Lancer, my MiniAtom took off without problem with all that FPV gear on it. And all the post-trimming flying behaviour are retained, which is a pleasant surprise.

I did not fly it in FPV, just normal LOS (line of sight) flying in a stadium but I recorded the video feed from my 5.8g video receiver, and the playback showed zero drop-outs in the video which is another good news. This means that the cloverleaf antenna is able to perform well although it's enclosed inside the plane's fuselage.

However, I felt nauseous after watching the recorded FPV footage It was like watching the movie 'Blairwitch Project'. I guess a good aerial video from an RC plane would require the plane to be flown at a higher altitude so that objects on the ground don't 'move' like they are on a merry-go-round (in the video) when the plane is circling. Also, it would be a different story when you are actually flying the plane in FPV. Since you need a clear image to pilot the plane, you would avoid any movement that will give a blurred image.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:49 AM
SINGAPORE
Joined May 2006
2,224 Posts
MiniAtom Glider - FPV conversion - Trial Run (2 min 4 sec)