HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:47 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
E-flight Ascent power set-up. Finally, plus a question.

After much back and forth, I have settled on the following.

Astro 020 DD with a 6.3x3 folder.

Right now, I've got an 8 cell 700 Mah Nicad pack and a 7 cell 1100 Mah Nimh pack. I plan on switching to Lipos. I've got a 2 cell 1200 Mah Lipo pack that came in an RTF electric wing, so I'm not sure what brand they are. I probably need 3 cells anyway, yes?

Now that I have a pricey motor in the nose (actually, in my pocket at the moment, but in the nose tonight) I want to avoid having the battery go through it in a nose in. I missjudged a landing, slid into a curb and the batts when under the stock motor and jammed everything up. The velcro just wont hold. So, until I get the lipos in, has anyone built a "ramp" that would sent the battery up and out instead of into the motor? A magnet to hold the canopy on would allow it to eject with less damage than the stock screw set up.

Jim
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:31 PM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Tie Wrap

Hi Jim-

Maybe not elegant, but for those batteries that insist on becomming canopy missiles, drill a couple of small holes in the fuse on either side of the battery and tie the sucker down with a nylon tie wrap. I did this in my Sig Kadet and stopped all the sliding around-14 cells had a mind of their own. A layer of the fuzzy side of Velcro will help keep the tie wrap from sliding on the battery.

I've got a brushless MM 1215/20 DD in my Ascent with a 6x3 Graupner folder and 6 Kan 950s. I also have a 7 cell pack but it gets the motor pretty hot. Flies just great with 15 minutes flight time in dead air on either pack. This combo delivered a record flight of 51 minutes with some thermals.

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:38 PM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
cool. I just discovered that the Graupner I have is the wrong diameter for the shaft. I'll have to get another tomorrow. The wires on the back of the 020 get in the way too. They are really stiff and stick straight out into where the batteries go. I may have to wait until I put the Lipos in.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:40 AM
To be a great Astro Boy
Brodhead,WI,USA
Joined Jan 2001
917 Posts
Jim,

If you have unlimited cash... You could buy a tiny geared BL to keep the weight down (010 or Hacker B20), and use the DD O20 in a fast plane (Carbon Twister etc.) It will be alot more fun than the stock motor either way.
With the power of a 020 I bet you will need a fair amount of extra down thrust.

I have used velcro wrapped arround the front of the battery and attached to the top of the pack. It is then much less likely to fly out but still able to in a sudden stop without ripping the plane completely apart!

Tim
edoc is offline Find More Posts by edoc
Old Oct 11, 2003, 07:58 AM
ORGAN MOUNTAIN AIR FORCE
Organ, New Mexico
Joined Sep 2002
1,240 Posts
Good Point

edoc-

You have a good point. If the battery pack is firmly anchored to the fuselage and the landing is hard enough, physics takes over and something has to give.....probably the bottom of the fuse if the 'tie wrap' system is used. I guess there just isn't such a thing as a totally successful crash

The breaking point is whether the radio and ESC cost more than a new fuselage, If you are flying a brushless motor in the Ascent, the motor controller and radio probably cost more than $70.

Rich
rloose is offline Find More Posts by rloose
Old Oct 11, 2003, 11:23 AM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
I have an 010 DD and an 010G laying around, but I hear that they are both way underpowered for the ascent. They still have the same shaft size too, so I still get to make a trip out for a bigger graupner shaft thingy. Anyone have success stories with the 010? I'm looking for that high/quick climb as well as longer runs.

Jim
Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:01 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
I ran an AF 010 with the Maxon 4:1 GB for a bit. It was nice and it was better than the S400 DD, but I was running it on 10 HE 1100 cells - heavy!

The one thing to remember is that the AF 010 is really a "300" replacement, not a 400. It still didn't climb with the authority I wanted.

The Hacker B20 S22 climbs out quickly with only 8 KAN 1050s. On the new plane I will have to try a TP 2100 3S1P pack. That should be a slick combo... just have to save my pennies for the $80 pack.

I suspect that a geared Kyosho Endoplasma S400 would work well too, for less dollars.

Sierra Gold
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Oct 11, 2003, 12:52 PM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
I have a new Sp400, but I run into the same shaft issues at with the Afs. Noone here has the right shaft size graupners in stock. So it's fly or not fly today. I'm back to the stock 400 with the 6x3 folder. Hopefully it will fly better than with the stock prop, but I;m not overly hopefull.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 01:53 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,755 Posts
Quote:
I suspect that a geared Kyosho Endoplasma S400 would work well too, for less dollars.
The Endo is pretty heavy - more like a 600 than a 400.
It's a very powerful motor but too big and heavy for the Ascent.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:09 PM
Annapolis, MD/Venice, FL
Joined May 2002
90 Posts
Astro 010 Geared Ascent

I have been running an Astro 010 with the planetary gearbox since March. I am currently using 3s Kokam 700 mAhr LiPoly with a Graupner 9x6 folding prop. I use a 3mm MP Jet folding 3.2 mm hub and shim it down to the 3 mm gearbox shaft.

The Astro with the larger geared prop is much more effecient than a brushed, direct drive and converts most of the power to thrust. The all up weight is 2 to 3 oz less than stock. I have permanently mounted a 25 gram camera in the body and am still significantly lighter than stock.

Climb is very good and duration is longer than I ever need. I do run run the engine for long periods to maneuver into position for taking pictures. It is possible to move to an 11x5 prop if very rapid climb is important.
RoyceGB is offline Find More Posts by RoyceGB
Old Oct 11, 2003, 03:12 PM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
To my dismay, my geared 010 is not the planetary GB, but the off-set one.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 04:44 PM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
3mm folding prop spinner sets

Just an FYI for those flying AF 010/Maxon or Hacker B20/Maxon with the 3mm prop shaft.

Aircraft World has MPJet spinner sets for folding props with 3mm collet adapters. He also stocks Graupner blades with the 6mm shoulder in various sizes/pitches.
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Old Oct 11, 2003, 08:11 PM
Closet Extrovert
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
Thanks but,,,,,,,

I appreciate all the advice, but my Ascent got totalled today. Freq conflict did it in. See my poor me post for the morbid details.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=158793
Old Oct 12, 2003, 05:38 AM
To be a great Astro Boy
Brodhead,WI,USA
Joined Jan 2001
917 Posts
Sorry about your plane Jim,

One of the best things about the Ascent though is that is as about as cheap as one could hope. Are you going to buy another?

I think this thread is worth continuing for all the rest of us with intact planes and for Jim's future ascent(s).

I am using the Hacker B20 S22 geared 8x6 prop with the TP 2100 or E-Tech 120. It shows about 95 Watts with the TP and 85 Watts with the E-Tech during the first 30 seconds of run. Very good climb (not hotliner) and great glide!

Has any one tried the Himax geared BL ??

Tim
edoc is offline Find More Posts by edoc
Old Oct 12, 2003, 03:48 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
I have three other planes with brushless motors, but I don't see much point in changing the motor in my Ascent. I've found that with 6 X 3 Graupner prop blades the stock motor does just fine.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike