HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:14 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Great! This is good news. Any chance the new feature - 'CastleLink Live' can send RPM data to a vBar and remove the need for an RPM sensor? Or is this not its intended purpose?

For us hackers, please post any home brew ways to make existing sensors work.
Unfortunately, not today. CLL isn't fast enough to update the VBAR. It was intended for HUD and datalogging applications.

We are working with the VBAR guys though towards a solution that will not require an RPM sensor...

Thanx!

Patrick
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:18 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick del Castillo View Post
Well -- this is the issue --

Most VBars use an external RPM sensor.

Most of the available RPM sensors on the market don't work with Castle ESCs.

It's not the VBar, or supporting the VBar -- it's the RPM sensor that doesn't work.

We are working with the VBar manufacturers for a work-around.

With an RPM sensor that works correctly with a Castle ESC -- this is the change that makes everything work:

ESC now supports, and USES, high frequency receiver pulses (100+ hz). In previous versions of firmware, receiver input was processed at 50hz.
So it should work with my SK720. I am using an old Eagle Tree phase sensor. I tried with my ICE last year but it did not hold RPM that well but it did work. With the new firmware hopefully it will work better. The Hyperion phase sensor is also very popular with for use with the Skookum SK720.

I have a couple of helicopters with eMultiGov external governors. They work with the old ICE firmware so they should work better with the new firmware. For governors like this what throttle mode should I be using?

So I am assuming that VBar has some kind of home made sensor that is causing a problem. Will a VBar work with a standard Hyperion phase sensor – maybe that’s the solution.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
So it should work with my SK720. I am using an old Eagle Tree phase sensor. I tried with my ICE last year but it did not hold RPM that well but it did work. With the new firmware hopefully it will work better. The Hyperion phase sensor is also very popular with for use with the Skookum SK720.

I have a couple of helicopters with eMultiGov external governors. They work with the old ICE firmware so they should work better with the new firmware. For governors like this what throttle mode should I be using?

So I am assuming that VBar has some kind of home made sensor that is causing a problem. Will a VBar work with a standard Hyperion phase sensor – maybe that’s the solution.

Hi RC Man,

I think the Hyperion is one of sensors with issues on this release -- it's analog, and reports RPM at 3 times actual with our new commutation sequence.

Mr Mel and others are helping us work through this to find a good solution.

The fix to update frequency fixed the main issues, but we introduced a minor issue with RPM sensors in this version.

Thanx!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:33 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,096 Posts
Castle Creations should make a phase sensor.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:37 PM
Santa Clara. Ca
Joined Dec 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
Hi RC Man,

I think the Hyperion is one of sensors with issues on this release -- it's analog, and reports RPM at 3 times actual with our new commutation sequence.

Mr Mel and others are helping us work through this to find a good solution.

The fix to update frequency fixed the main issues, but we introduced a minor issue with RPM sensors in this version.

Thanx!
Hmm. Can 't we simply mess with the pole count in the vBar software to address the 3X issue? Or just patch vBar to divide by 3 to fix it? Or simply request RPMs that are 3x expected?
OnTheSnap is offline Find More Posts by OnTheSnap
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:43 PM
Electric Helis is my game
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Hmm. Can 't we simply mess with the pole count in the vBar software to address the 3X issue? Or just patch vBar to divide by 3 to fix it? Or simply request RPMs that are 3x expected?
No you cant, it shifts between reporting correct and erroneous all the time. and it changes during/depending on load.
MrMel is offline Find More Posts by MrMel
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:02 PM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
Castle Creations should make a phase sensor.
We are hoping to come up with a scheme that won't require an external phase sensor...
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:10 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,096 Posts
Does anyone know if my Eagle Tree phase sensor will have the same problem as the Hyperion sensor or is this a generic phase sensor problem?

Looks like my old eMultiGov should work well as it uses a magnetic sensor on the gear.

Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Feb 2009
314 Posts
Quote:
We are hoping to come up with a scheme that won't require an external phase sensor...
So the Phoenix and ICE series controllers remain non-manufacture specific and compatible with all brands of flybarless systems that support generic RPM sensors, could Castle Creation not develop a 'RPM board' to split the two-way traffic into the generic RPM sensor output and throttle input, which is working well for other ESC and sensor combinations??

While many pilots would be prepared to purchase an 'RPM board' to support their generic flybarless system, many owners of Castle Creations controllers could be left without the external governor support feature if their flybarless system manufacture could not justify the development to support CastleLink Live.
rceccleston is offline Find More Posts by rceccleston
Old Feb 22, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
63 Posts
I can confirm that the Hyperion phase sensor does not work well with the Castle, I am an electrical engineer and tried all kinds of signal conditioning and never got a reliable RPM output.

- Greg
gmarsden is offline Find More Posts by gmarsden
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:39 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know if my Eagle Tree phase sensor will have the same problem as the Hyperion sensor or is this a generic phase sensor problem?

Looks like my old eMultiGov should work well as it uses a magnetic sensor on the gear.
Eagle tree = same isse

Magnet on main gear = not good enough performance
Magnet on motor = OK.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
Is this similar to the issues that some hobby wing speed controllers were having after a firmware upgrade with the hyperion or other phase sensors using a single wire lead connected to a single bullet?? I believe this could be fixed by using a phase sensor that connects to two of the three bullets rather than just one like the ones hobby wing started including in some of the newer ESCs.
dan826 is offline Find More Posts by dan826
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:51 AM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan826 View Post
Is this similar to the issues that some hobby wing speed controllers were having after a firmware upgrade with the hyperion or other phase sensors using a single wire lead connected to a single bullet?? I believe this could be fixed by using a phase sensor that connects to two of the three bullets rather than just one like the ones hobby wing started including in some of the newer ESCs.
Maybe, I say maybe since I have on of those inbound for test.
So I know for sure when I get it.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
I've been trying to get some more of those sensors but couldn't find any. Where do you get them from?
dan826 is offline Find More Posts by dan826
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:21 PM
Lidingo, Sweden
Joined Feb 2005
2,755 Posts
Note, the firmware for the Vbar support is not released, so even if you get the sensor it does not going to work until Castle release the firmware.

If you still need them, drop me a PM and I can tell you where to get them.