HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2009
449 Posts
Castle should not underestimate what mass hysteria can do to their business. Speaking of this, I want my iPad 4 and I want it now. I should probably be heading to the nearest Apple store to be the first in line for the 2014 release.
3Dmuse is offline Find More Posts by 3Dmuse
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
Michigan, East of Hell
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Na... with Apple's upgrade cycle, the next new iPad will be out just before Christmas... At least you don't have too long to wait in line.

Scott
dunkonu23 is offline Find More Posts by dunkonu23
Old May 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
Santa Clara. Ca
Joined Dec 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
I was told the external GOV support will be in the next CC Link... The sensors are still being finalized but the Hobbywing sensor should work well when available...

For the guys that are so vocal about the firmware being released do you have sensors and of so please post where you got them... Thanks very much...
I have 4 sensors from Hobbywing purchased at HeliDirect.
OnTheSnap is offline Find More Posts by OnTheSnap
Old May 15, 2012, 11:16 AM
NJ
Joined Sep 2006
172 Posts
Any updates when engineering will post the new firmware? If anything I can provide some feedback for you guys, I have 3 machines all setup with hobbywing sensors and vbars ready to go. In fact I'm flying my T-rex 500 with 4.01 and the governor but would love to enable it on my Logo 600 and 7HV. I'm concerned about using this firmware on a bigger bird due to the lack of soft spool up which could potentially strip the gear.

-Vadim
vadim is offline Find More Posts by vadim
Old May 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
Santa Clara. Ca
Joined Dec 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim View Post
Any updates when engineering will post the new firmware? If anything I can provide some feedback for you guys, I have 3 machines all setup with hobbywing sensors and vbars ready to go. In fact I'm flying my T-rex 500 with 4.01 and the governor but would love to enable it on my Logo 600 and 7HV. I'm concerned about using this firmware on a bigger bird due to the lack of soft spool up which could potentially strip the gear.

-Vadim
+1. I have a Goblin with a 120HV Hobbywing sensor wired up and waiting for this firmware release.

Please publish it this week!
Old May 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
Santa Clara. Ca
Joined Dec 2008
340 Posts
Well, out of impatience and curiosity, I just setup my Goblin with a Castle 120HV, Hobbywing sensor, Quantum 4530. Airplane fixed end point mode, speed 10, firmware 4.01.

It worked FANTASTICALLY!

Spool up barely kicks. Not any worse or maybe better than my Hobbywing ESC's. Really no concern at all. When I click out of hold, I use full negative and right rudder to mitigate the spin.

I ended up with a gov gain of 36, which is fantastic.

Flight performance was simply outstanding. Better than what I've managed to get out of my Hobbywing's.

So IMO the wait is already over. What's out now works GREAT. And once they add the soft start it will be perfect. But no reason to not try this now.
Old May 16, 2012, 07:57 AM
NJ
Joined Sep 2006
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheSnap View Post
Well, out of impatience and curiosity, I just setup my Goblin with a Castle 120HV, Hobbywing sensor, Quantum 4530. Airplane fixed end point mode, speed 10, firmware 4.01.

It worked FANTASTICALLY!

Spool up barely kicks. Not any worse or maybe better than my Hobbywing ESC's. Really no concern at all. When I click out of hold, I use full negative and right rudder to mitigate the spin.

Flight performance was simply outstanding. Better than what I've managed to get out of my Hobbywing's.

So IMO the wait is already over. What's out now works GREAT. And once they add the soft start it will be perfect. But no reason to not try this now.
I've done the same on my T-rex 500, just curious under Gov II menu in vBar what did you points end up like? Mine were rather low -61 to 70, which tells me I was missing about 70 points of throttle resolution.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:53 AM
Santa Clara. Ca
Joined Dec 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
I've done the same on my T-rex 500, just curious under Gov II menu in vBar what did you points end up like? Mine were rather low -61 to 70, which tells me I was missing about 70 points of throttle resolution.
-60, 75. So yah about the same. Works great, and it is what it is.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
NJ
Joined Sep 2006
172 Posts
Quote:
-60, 75. So yah about the same. Works great, and it is what it is.
It flies great and a friend of mine tached it and it held better then anything he ever seen before, including the Jive. However, I think it can be better with full 200 points of throttle range. I do experience a strange noise under very heavy loads during my sloppy tic tocs, it seems like something skips a beat. Of course, I just wish castle would just release the firmware MrMel tested so we can enjoy the vBar governor to full capacity.
Old May 16, 2012, 10:42 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
I found this also to be true... it will fly even smother with more resolution.
gww528 is online now Find More Posts by gww528
Old May 16, 2012, 11:02 AM
Santa Clara. Ca
Joined Dec 2008
340 Posts
From my understanding the new firmware just improves soft start and does the proper hand off. Have you heard something about changing the throttle range?

At least with my setup the gov feels extremely smooth and precise. I just came from a Scorp V 130HV which has a -100/100 th range and I can detect no difference in performance.
Old May 16, 2012, 11:13 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Mar 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
From my understanding the new firmware just improves soft start and does the proper hand off. Have you heard something about changing the throttle range?

At least with my setup the gov feels extremely smooth and precise. I just came from a Scorp V 130HV which has a -100/100 th range and I can detect no difference in performance.
Well... I believe there will be a setting for External Gov. I was thinking/hoping that would give us the -100 <> 100 range plus softstart. If you cannot tell any difference that's great but then again if your stick banging you may not notice. :-)
gww528 is online now Find More Posts by gww528
Last edited by gww528; May 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 01:05 PM
NJ
Joined Sep 2006
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gww528 View Post
Well... I believe there will be a setting for External Gov. I was thinking/hoping that would give us the -100 <> 100 range plus softstart. If you cannot tell any difference that's great but then again if your stick banging you may not notice. :-)
My thoughts/expectations are identical to yours, a way to increase throttle range and a soft spool up. The reason as far as I can tell only the ESC can do a soft spool up as any external device just does not have the resolution needed for soft spool up, I would assume you'd need close to 500 throttle points to slowly spool up the motor and only ESC has access to the full range.

I also feel that under hard load you'll notice the limited throttle range, I was seeing some strange things on my T500 under heavy loads going from full negative to full positive and these strange sounds were coming out of the motor
Old May 17, 2012, 07:46 PM
Santa Clara. Ca
Joined Dec 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
My thoughts/expectations are identical to yours, a way to increase throttle range and a soft spool up. The reason as far as I can tell only the ESC can do a soft spool up as any external device just does not have the resolution needed for soft spool up, I would assume you'd need close to 500 throttle points to slowly spool up the motor and only ESC has access to the full range.

I also feel that under hard load you'll notice the limited throttle range, I was seeing some strange things on my T500 under heavy loads going from full negative to full positive and these strange sounds were coming out of the motor
Nah, resolution does not impact spool up. An ESC has to play some tricks to make soft start work correctly. Only way to do it is to have the ESC spool up on its own and hand off to the external gov.

Spent some time pounding on my Goblin and it's perfect. No odd behaviors at all. Perhaps you have some other setup issue. I don't think resolution is your issue. Check timing and pwm. Using normal and 8khz on mine.
Old May 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Aug 2008
34 Posts
Quote:

It worked FANTASTICALLY!

I done the same a month ago. Works great my 600 pro and 700e. As faras soft startI couldnt care less. I take off in grass and keep the blades tightso they wont fold and get chips.
504 is offline Find More Posts by 504