HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Discussion
How to implement PWM for H bridge?

I'm trying to figure out how to use an H bridge. I understand the theory and know how to make a working circuit.

But what's bothering me is whether my PWM is implemented in the best way. In the PWM off phase, I'm turning off all 4 switches (free wheeling mode) by disabling the L298 input enables. The alternative is to brake during the PWM off phase. This seems to be more efficient because the inductive energy in the coil is converted to mechanical energy instead of being dissipated in the diodes in free wheeling mode. But after that current is dissipated, the break mode would absorb mechanical energy, thus reducing efficiency.

Can someone tell me which method is best and for which situations?

Thanks
UncleJoe is offline Find More Posts by UncleJoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, NJ, Edison
Joined Mar 2008
34 Posts
See below for some rather in depth explanation of different H-bridge drive modes.

http://modularcircuits.tantosonline....ridge-secrets/
CombatWombat is offline Find More Posts by CombatWombat