delete
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:15 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Yep. That is the basic ESC calibrate sequence.

About the connectors...it looks like David's implementation (I assume like yours) is only sending power and ground on the first channel. He's using the signal wires only on the other three channels, and just put them all on one servo connector, and connected that across the other three signal pins on the board. I'm not 100% sure about that, but that is what it looks like to me.

Gets rid of 4 servo connectors and 6 wires, so probably what I'll ultimately do, too. Anyone have any info on pros and cons for this approach?
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Gets shakes if no FPV in 24hrs
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ View Post
Jarod, interesting for sure, have you figured out which of the connections are the video out? Also where did you get the board from if you don't mind my asking?

The other way I have seen people power the gopro is through the USB port, using a 90 degree mini usb cable along with the video out plug, but putting both onto the card with servo connectors would be slick.

Scott
Well I actually tested out the expansion board today with my Hero2 and it was a no go. The red wire is power, black is ground, and orange is video. There isn't a mic output on there. Probably just needs to be connected. I used a spare rx channel to power it up through the expansion board (can't use more than 5-6v, be careful) and it didnt' work. I only plugged in the power and ground, I took the video out of the loop. I read that these exapnsion boards may or may not be compatible with the new Hero2, so it may need some mods? If you have an original GoPro Hero than it should work. I'll have an original GoPro to test it out with next week. I'm taking small steps because I'm nervous about frying my GoPro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sia100 View Post

Jarod, thanks for the info on the gopro power adapter. So the adapter looks pretty big. Would it be able to be used with the case on, or would it jut out too far?

Potential interesting point of discussion: Best Buy's damage waiver. I never do these things. Ever. They cover damage in the course of regular, intended use. Well, for the gopro, anything short of intentional damage qualifies, because the product is designed to be used in extreme, high risk, high speed situations. I assumed this, but the sales associate made a point of covering this aspect of the coverage in the case of the gopro, which is different than anything else that they sell. I decided to take the $30 insurance.

So...anyone had a cause to use the protection plan from Best Buy on the gopro yet??

I thought the GPS module required the DataLogger? That was the only reason I bought the DataLogger. But I am considering looking at a different OSD solution. If I can find one that is significantly lighter than the ET solution, and it meets all of my requirements, I'd use it on the tri. I want to put an RPM sensor on the Trex, though, and I do like the EagleTree, so I would keep that for the Heli.

[/IMG]
Yea, you would need to mod the case to use the expansion adapter, or one like it. As of right now I can't say it works with the Hero2. So make sure it's compatible with the new GoPro before spending any money.

In regards to the Best Buy insurance, if you use a major credit card the usually give you perks like that for free. American Express doubles manufacturers warranty, I think it even has accidental breakage?, I know they have a policy where if the retailer won't refund your money they step in and take care of it. My point is check your card to see if you've got those benefits. If you do call them up and verify it. You can probably get your extra insurance fee from Best Buy back if you find it's reduntant. Something to check into? I would'nt trust Best Buy personally to do the right thing. But that's not based on any factual expeirence, just my opinion.

No I'm pretty sure you don't need the eLogger. Of course you'll loose your amperage and battery pack readings. So I guess that's a deal buster.
jarod120 is offline Find More Posts by jarod120
Old Feb 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2011
399 Posts
I did the esc setup again and it's the same result. Moving the battery around don't seem to change the cog. 50 or so click of trims don't seem right
freshmint is offline Find More Posts by freshmint
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:04 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Sia,

Here is the thread on using the USB port on the Go Pro to power the camera, or to keep the battery charged, most of the users look like they are still using the battery on the camera as well as back feeding it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=kmart+gopro

Basically you just need 5V in on the red and black wires in the USB plug, not sure if a voltage regulator or a BEC would be better though to power it.

On Audio, this must be the thread where I had thought it wasn't supported, but post #36 says it is supported and works. Looks like the GoPro puts out two channels of Audio as well though you probably would only need one.

On the harness itself, I think the diagram on post #54 is better, the first one doesn't really show power in and the connection to the VTx very well. At the end of the day though it will depend on where your getting the 5V to power the go-pro, if your VTx has 5V out you might be able to use that, etc. (Just confirm your getting the full 5V)

There is also some info in there about the GoPro shutting down when the memory card is full, though you may be able to turn that off with the auto shutdown settings...

-Scott
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:10 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Thanks for the guidance on the damage waiver, Jarod. I will consider all of that. And I will not buy the expansion board at this time.

Scott, great link! The pics on how to do that harness are right on. I am pretty sure that is how I will roll.

In other news....I bought an OSD. I went with the UrbanDrones unit. They just started shipping. So I'll be one of the first to check it out. Here is the RCG thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1590424 I actually talked to the main guy at UD this afternoon. Great customer service and a pleasure to talk to. I posted my experience to the thread in case anyone is interested in why I decided to go with UD. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=25
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:32 AM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Sia, look forward to your review on the UD-OSD, I have been trying to decide the first entry level one I want to get for the EZ*, the Cyclops Easy OSD looked interesting for the price, but Urban Drones sounds solid and customer support is priceless.

_Scott
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:10 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Scott, yes...there are so many OSDs out there now that it is a piece of work to figure out what the best match for a given application is!

So I was experiencing extreme flying frustration this morning, and I gave in to my dark side and took the tri out for an up and down quickie, to have a look at my neighborhood from ~100 feet (I think). It got my blood pumping! There was some wind up there.

Flying LOS feels so foreign to me!

Tricopter quick look-see around the neighborhood...windy! (1 min 17 sec)
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:50 AM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
**toggle sarcasm on**

Well I hope you guys are happy now..... I've been wanting to build one of these for awhile but have held out. Then someone has to start a thread like this, in the FPV section. I'm not even in the states right now and I have my order into HK. Now we will see how long it takes those plush ESC's to come in.

**sarcasm off**

Anyways thanks, because I was running out of excuses in my head as to why not build one. I'll have everything I need but the plates for the body when the HK stuff arrives. Is there a good source for these cut already or for materials? I've looked at HK's carbon fiber sheets but have never caught them in stock. I've got a buddy with a CNC shop might/could cut out a ton of these things in no time. Has anyone made the plates out of aluminum? Probably to heavy.

Good to see the progress here. carry on ~Wingnut13
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:20 AM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Sia, did you try this yet? I assumed the same thing, that he was using a full connector on the yaw servo which would need power, but the speed controllers probably only need the signal wire. I'm assuming the receiver gets powered through the KK Board.

_Scott

Quote:
Yep. That is the basic ESC calibrate sequence.

About the connectors...it looks like David's implementation (I assume like yours) is only sending power and ground on the first channel. He's using the signal wires only on the other three channels, and just put them all on one servo connector, and connected that across the other three signal pins on the board. I'm not 100% sure about that, but that is what it looks like to me.

Gets rid of 4 servo connectors and 6 wires, so probably what I'll ultimately do, too. Anyone have any info on pros and cons for this approach?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:24 AM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Yikes on the wind, very cool though, nice lake over there. Love the way the tri sounds, like a swarm of bees.

On the OSD, I was sort of hoping someone would put together a grid showing the brands and features they support. I think google lets you do an open document like that, might have to check it out and see if I can get one started...

Quote:
Scott, yes...there are so many OSDs out there now that it is a piece of work to figure out what the best match for a given application is!

So I was experiencing extreme flying frustration this morning, and I gave in to my dark side and took the tri out for an up and down quickie, to have a look at my neighborhood from ~100 feet (I think). It got my blood pumping! There was some wind up there.

Flying LOS feels so foreign to me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8I8LAr8P4s
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:03 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Hi Wingnut! Congrats on your decision. That's good planning, actually, you and your order should be working your way back to the states and hook up at the same time! :-)

Here are a couple of options for buying ready-made frames:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=rcexplorer (I just did a search and found this one. Note that it looks like this would result in a non-foldable version, in case that part is important to you).

If I didn't have a friend with CNC stuff that was able to do mine locally, I'd be calling up this guy...I almost bought a set from him just because they looked so good. He also has a website where he sells multicopter stuff: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1567131

About the material to use for the frame...you can use anything, really. I think that the consensus is that wood and G10 (aka garolite, aka what printed circuit boards are etched onto) are the best in terms of strength, weight, and non-RF-interference characteristics. I would stay away from any metal (blocks and reflects RF from your video transmitter) and carbon fiber (just blocks RF). That is, if you are going to be doing FPV. If you are just doing LOS, less of an issue but still a consideration for your RC receiver.

Scott, I have not tried the servo cable change yet, but will give that a shake today and report back!
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
I just found this post started by Solorbob. Also an RCE based build, and with lots of pictures and good ideas, as well as some nice flight vids:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1562728
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Scott, here is the OSD comparison matrix everyone seems to be using. It was started and is maintained by Daniel Lee, creator of the Dragon link and Dragon OSD (very smart guy, stays objective):

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...jg&output=html
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
So I was going to try the two servo cable hookup between the rx and the KK board. Unfortunately my interim JR 72 mhz rx has plug separators and channel guides and looks like this, so I can't connect a single servo across the first three channel signal pins:

As soon as my Dragonlink rx gets in, I'll check it out and post back.