HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:50 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
hehe...it's a monster alright. I have seen mini-tricopters. They scale up and down pretty well. If I wanted something micro, I'd probably build a quad, though. Only reason I went with a large tri was because I wanted to do high-quality video/FPV, and big is good for low vibrations, and one less arm is good for the camera FOV. You can get really wide without getting much prop in the picture.

Jarod, tell me...how did you approach your gopro av out? Did you use the stock cable from gopro and fashion your own end for the transmitter? Or buy something ready made? Did you use the built-in battery or power it from a BEC?
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 09:22 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Gopro Live Video Out Is Working...

I just soldered a servo connector to an old cellphone 4 conductor mini plug and swapped out the FPV cam on my Trex FPV with the gopro. I left everything else on the TREX FPV setup the same, including the Eagletree OSD Pro. I powered up my groundstation with the 21" LCD display (uses a lipo for power...pretty cool). And....

Kapow! It just worked. I am very pleased. I didn't spend too much time reading the manual, so I'm not sure how the gopro works, but it looks a little out of focus. Maybe that is the video transmitter resolution ceiling? But the OSD parts look crisp. I'll have to do a little more checking.

Either way, the overall quality of the gopro vid out through the OSD through the VTX, over the air, through the VRX, through the Eagletree Eagle eyes and out to the TV looks so much better than what I'm used to. Amazing. The parts are all playing together for FPV Tri to happen this week, me thinks.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 02:05 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,089 Posts
Looks good. I'm very interested in this tri as a cheap n easy av/fpv platform. I have a gopro as well, and the live out is not as good as most board cams, particularly low light, gets grainy/blurry, but still great.
Why no tilting motor on quads or other tris?
And what is used to get top-end, smooth video that this platform doesn't have?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:21 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Sai, very cool stuff first vids look great. Are you using the housing or flying naked? The gopro of course I mean.
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:24 AM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Fresh, did you get the programer from Hobby King as well as the board? I am wondering if there version has the correct connector or if you still have to make an adaptor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmint View Post
I thought flashing the firmware on the hk quadcopter v2 board was going to be hard but damn it only took me 10 secs.

Here is my frame I am using the HK CF plate .. hope it stand up in a hard crash.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:47 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Looks good. I'm very interested in this tri as a cheap n easy av/fpv platform. I have a gopro as well, and the live out is not as good as most board cams, particularly low light, gets grainy/blurry, but still great.
Why no tilting motor on quads or other tris?
And what is used to get top-end, smooth video that this platform doesn't have?
NiceGuy: Actually, thegopro hero2 is suposed to be much better than previous versions re: live video out in low light. I checked it and found it to be much better than my KX191 board cam which I've been using on my Trex for the last three years or so.

I'm pretty sure most Tris will have a tilting rear motor, to control yaw. Quads don't need a tilting mechanism because they have an even number of spinning props rotating in each direction, and adjust speed to get a change in direction (I think....somebody jump in here if I'm off base).

I'm not sure about your last question about what to use to get smooth flight from this platform. I think David's design does get smooth flight. I'm certainly happy with mine so far. We'll see what the final result is when I get everything strapped on, though!

Scott, in the most recent video, I was in the housing. In the still photo, it was naked on the table.

-Sia
Last edited by sia100; Feb 06, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 06, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Mar 2010
528 Posts
what was your build cost and have you tested flight times yet?
fpvguy is offline Find More Posts by fpvguy
Old Feb 06, 2012, 12:58 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sia100 View Post
... Quads don't need a tilting mechanism because they have an even number of spinning props rotating in each direction, and adjust speed to get a change in direction ...
That's interesting. Based on that, I think I will prefer a quad due to the standardization and simplicity, unless there is something I am unaware of that gives the advantage to this tri.
Re video quality, I have seen some of the multi rotors over $3000, and wondering what the extra money is going into and if it is necessary for great video, or just for redundancy, waypoint autopilot, or some such.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:43 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
fpvguy...my build cost is something like $100. I'll list out the components and costs tonight and post them to the top of the thread.

I'm not sure yet about flight times, since I'm using a battery of questionable health, and my charger is a cheapy one that doesn't tell me how much it's putting back in. When I mount my OSD Pro and get the new lipos broken in, I'll definitely be focused on total weight and flight times and will post them here. David indicated he got ~12 minutes without FPV gear.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 01:51 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
NiceGuy...Yes, about the quad vs. tri debate, the quad is a simpler design and easier to build (no servo to jack with). I would bet there is one in my future. But for FPV, the tri is nice because of the fact that it has fewer arms, and more space between them. That gets you less props in the frame of the camera (if that is something that is important to you).

So yes, a quad will definitely be a better fit for some people. I just picked this as my first multicopter build because I thought it lined up with my current goals the best. Heck, I might even get one of those fancy $3000 jobbers one day. But I want to really know my stuff first, and a cheap, simple tri is a great first step. And based on the videos I've seen from this RCE Tri (from others), it does a really good job competing with ones that cost waaay more.

It is all a matter of preference!

Regarding the video quality, short of shooting for professional or commercial engagements, I would think a Gopro would be good enough for most people's needs. But yes, I'm sure you could buy a grand or two worth of really nice photo/video gear and squeeze out some better quality. But not at the weight of the gopro, so then you have to buy more lifting power, batteries, and frame to house a bigger camera...it adds up to a few thousand dollars quick. For me, the price/performance of a gopro is about perfect.
Last edited by sia100; Feb 06, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:21 PM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Nice Guy, here is a link to one of David's videos,

Beautiful HD FPV - Cancun - RCExplorer.se (2 min 27 sec)

I'm not sure why I can never get the embed code to work from youtube....

I am blown away at the video he has done using this frame and a go-pro, many more on his youtube page to check out.

Sai, I agree quad vs. tri, though I believe the more rotors become more stable, though the way I see it on the tri, one less motor, one less speed control for a servo. A toss up like you said, when you start to get into the Octo-Copters then you also start to get into some redundancy, I THINK some of those will keep flying if you lose a motor, etc.

_Scott
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:32 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
That is a beautiful vid, Scott. That is what I'm talking about! And yes, with the Y6 or octo copters you can lose a motor and be ok. Not so with a tri. All about what you are trying to do/$ to spend.
Old Feb 06, 2012, 05:32 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
By the way...my name is Sia, not Sai
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
RC Geek
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Ack, sorry about that, did I do it more then once??? And yes, David has shot some great stuff, really cool videos.

I saw yesterday on his website that fpvmanuals.com is now selling a kit based on David's design. The yaw mechanisim is ball bearing and pretty slick, but I still think I like the build it yourself version better.

-Scott
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:05 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,089 Posts
Thanks for the info about 3/4. I definitely want nothing in the GoPro's FOV, not even a prop tip. I heard some spider quad frames might work as they push the camera up front. Also, angled down camera, although not sure if that will look good in all shooting scenarios or not. No idea as I've not flown a multi rotor.
I gotta say there seems to be much less info available on good multi rotor FPV/AV/AP "sets" than there is with planes. For example, I can give someone a good standard complete set recommendation, including all parts and tips, depending on their needs and flying conditions for an FPV plane. But I haven't seen this with multi rotors. Most people seem to not be sure. This thread is the closest I've come to a clear recommendation for a decent GoPro FPV platform for scenic shots.