SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:11 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
797 Posts
Starting to get the hang of it now

How to fly a RCExplorer Tricopter - The Duckpond (4 min 10 sec)

Filmed with the #11 keychain - not sure which ebay vendor i got it from Sia, but probably the one recommended in the #11 thread in the AP section.
crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:31 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Wingnut: The RCE recommendation was to drill out the 10x4.7 props with a 4mm drill bit. That is what I did. If the prop holes are less than 4 mm, I recommend that. I've done it on several props now and they all work great. I haven't yet considered any props other than the ones David suggested.

How is the build going, other than the props? Any pics to share with the team?

Crezzee: Wow!! what a great vid! You sure have improved a ton since that first flight. Looks like you are having fun, too. How fast was your top speed? It may have been because of how close you were flying to the ground, but it "felt" like at least 40 mph. Great job!!

-Sia
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Mar 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Well, I have the 10x4.7 props but I was looking at the data from post #151 where the 12x3.8 are shown to be the most efficient option. So I bought a set of those too, I just can't figure out how to mount them. I've got a few days to wait for the McMaster Carr order to show up with the G10 plates. My plan was to use light plywood but I'm out and I can't find any locally.

I have too many irons in the fire at the moment, I'm working on finishing the basement for the kids is the biggest thing right now though. I'd take some pics but it's just a pile of parts right now.

If anyone is in need of a set of three DT750 I think I should have a "spare set" coming in the mail. I'm open to offers!
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Gotcha. Yes, I just looked at the chart again. I bet those props will work well. It may be that is the reason Dave ended up not using those in his configuration....he wasn't able to just slap them on and go.

About your plywood...I found my plywood (what I used for my battery tray) at Hobby Lobby. Near their easels and stuff. I guess there is no Hobby Lobby in Rochester :-/ Maybe a 30 minute drive to Manchester? They have a Hobby Lobby right next door to a Hobbytown :-)

Google Map
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
I hear ya about irons in the fire.

btw, are you going with a different motor that the DT750? Is that why they are available? Or did you just end up with two sets of DTs?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Today was my third and fourth full battery flight of my tricopter. I am done hovering, and have progressed to flying laps around the park. Working on making smooth turns. The controls felt good even in 8mph winds, but I would still like a radio with programable throttle curve. Also have a rear vert tail piece that helps a lot with orientation. My pvc gear are also working great. I had a power off "landing" from about 5 ft, and they took all the impact like a champ. Not a single broken ziptie. Just took right off again!
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Mar 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
I'm sticking with the DT750's I think they are a great motor...from the specs anyhow. I brain farted, so I have two sets. G10 should be here on Monday. I will start the build in earnest then.

Does anyone know if you can shear G10 cleanly or is it best cut?
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:22 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut13 View Post
I'm sticking with the DT750's I think they are a great motor...from the specs anyhow. I brain farted, so I have two sets. G10 should be here on Monday. I will start the build in earnest then.
Maybe you should hang onto atleast one motor incase you damage one, and have it ready to mount up just in your field box. I bought a spare 4th motor in my order just incase.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:04 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Tricopter flight #5 (Well I filmed half of it). I think I'm getting a hang of it

Tricopter - Learning to fly- Flight # 5 (3 min 5 sec)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Had a bit of a in-flight catastrophic failure today

Almost finished with my last battery pack, and was about 15ft off the deck and all of a sudden I heard a "WACK!" and the tri fell to the ground. Upon inspection, it seems the two setscrews for my rear motor somehow came undone despite locktight. Crash damage appears to be one broken front arm, one broken motor mount zip-tie (front the arm that broke) and a bent rear prop.

I kinda pieced it together on the ground and re-powered it up, and it gave response, so hopefully just those parts need replaced. All motor mount setscrews will be removed and given a better coat of locktight
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,084 Posts
Ya, I've had that happen twice. My mount got very and the motor was under some stress due to sudden direction change. Nearly lot my film plane over the ocean that time.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Ouch! At least you got a couple days of flying in. And I bet you are in the air again within a day or so (maybe even by the time you read this!) Looks like you are really starting to control that with a lot of authority.

I got to fly on Sunday, too. It was perfect, except for slightly windier conditions than I'd expected. I did an FPV flight first, but my Gopro battery was a lot lower than I thought, and the TV ended up being too dim for the sunlight, even shaded by the cardboard covers I had for the top and sides. So I cut the FPV part short and went for LOS for my second flight.

It was a lot of fun! I was inspired by rcbif's flight at the park (with the people and the dogs, where you are getting a little aggressive). I wanted to have some sportier fun like that, too. And I did...for a while. Then I smacked into a tree, going pretty fast. Broke one arm and messed up all three props. But everything else is still happy. I think it will take about 30 minutes to do the repair. Here is the vid:

Tri Dam Crash (5 min 40 sec)

It was a pretty view from up in the tree, so I took another pic...

Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:37 PM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Ouch on the tree, hate when that happens!! Some amazing space to fly in though, very cool.
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:02 PM
Canada, ON, Simcoe County
Joined Oct 2007
63 Posts
Is that your footage straight out of the gopro, or is that a flightcam?
Also, what frequency are you using for your downlink?
I'm just building my tri right now, and wondering what the live footage from a gopro looks like. Sorry about the crash, but repair doesn't sound too bad considering.
kiteman78 is online now Find More Posts by kiteman78
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:08 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Hi kiteman. The first part is video I imported from the gopro SD memory card. I edited it in imovie and saved it to youtube at 1080p. The original raw footage is crystal clear, but youtube compression results in some pixelation and artifacts.

The second part of the video (starting around 3:20) is the downlink from the gopro. A little less clear, but still a whole lot better than the security cam I fly with on my Trex 450. Tons better. In other words, it looks better than what you see on youtube. If you have an ftp or other file transfer solution, I'd be happy to share a clip of raw gopro downlink video with you so you can get an idea of what the gopro FPV downlink quality is like.

I'm using 900 mhz for the vid downlink. Via a 3 year old DPCAV 500 mw transmitter that has survived many, many heli and tri crashes. I am probably going to pick up another one so I don't have to swap it out between the two platforms all of the time.

It took me about 45 minutes to get the tri back in the air today (from yesterday's crash). Then I crashed it again. Broke another arm and threw a motor. 30 minutes later I was flying again. I really can't say enough about the robustness of the RCE design. With my Trex, a crash usually means a week until the next flight.