SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:57 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,127 Posts
I used a piece of maybe 4.5mm fiberglass gardening rod from the 1$ store, drilled out the hinge to fit.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:21 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,575 Posts
Got my kk board powered up and so far so good except for the yaw set up. The yaw servo does not tilt the motor till throttle is applied, is this normal also tilts to the right when shut down. Comments welcome.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:25 PM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
Got my kk board powered up and so far so good except for the yaw set up. The yaw servo does not tilt the motor till throttle is applied, is this normal also tilts to the right when shut down. Comments welcome.
Thats what it does (at least on mine)
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:28 PM
I'd FPV it.
United States, GA, Winder
Joined Nov 2009
2,932 Posts
That's what it's supposed to do...
It's working correctly.
Ho-Jazz is online now Find More Posts by Ho-Jazz
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,575 Posts
Thank you. Sorry for so many questions , I programed the escs individual with my program card and calabrated the throttle range also and they all start up together so do i need to calabrate the escs with the KK board as everything works fine. Also when applying right or left yaw the servo does not centre the motor.
Last edited by glenbees; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:57 PM
Canada, AB, Slave Lake
Joined Jan 2013
93 Posts
Hey everyone.

I just joined rcgroups and thought I'd share my Tricopter build.

Myself and 2 other friends just built Tricopters based on Rcexplorers 2.5 build.

Still working on getting everything dialed in.
The only thing I can't seem to figure out is flashing the esc's with SimonK...

But they are handling pretty good already.
Likeskites is offline Find More Posts by Likeskites
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:50 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2011
185 Posts
Same here. My tri's are flying great with gopro and all. I am not all sure what the simonk escs do. Nor do I know how to flash mine.
UltraMicro is offline Find More Posts by UltraMicro
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:40 AM
Canada, AB, Slave Lake
Joined Jan 2013
93 Posts
I'm a noobie too, but from what I understand, the flashing of an esc with SimonK reduces lag.

The esc doesn't have to think about unnecessary things like, I'm not on a plane for every decision and function. So it responds much faster and more consistently.

This is of course a dumbed down explanation and please correct me if I'm wrong...

I know it's a good thing, and I want to figure it out. I just haven't yet.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:37 AM
Push limits and rebuild
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jan 2012
102 Posts
New FPV platform. Rebuilt my 9" arm tricopter to have 14.75" arms. All blacked out for FPV. I have built the "SSG" for the new GoPro 3. 5" landing gear that is much sturdier than the normal 1 piece ( I have broken a hundred zip ties on the old design). Here it is compared next to the orig. rcexplorer tricopter. The original design has 18" or 19" arms. I will be cleaning up the birds nest of fpv wires when I install it on the new tri. KK2 board is on its way. Will post more pictures soon as I finish. Can you guys post pics of where you have placed for FPV electronics? I know where the TX is going, but I am going to be running a separate board camera for video feed. Thanks

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360740688.204200.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 149.9 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360740706.503505.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 146.0 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360740763.620216.jpg
Views: 102
Size: 134.3 KB
Description:
tymbo is offline Find More Posts by tymbo
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:52 AM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by niels_niels View Post
A question about the yaw mechanism :
Since HK doesn't sell solid 4mm CF rod and I can't get it local around here, I had to look for something else..
On the HK-site I found a 4mm Torque Tube , would this be as good as a CF rod for the yaw mechanism ?
I know it is heavier than the CF rod, but since I plan to use a lighter servo I don't think it will make much difference ?
If someone knows a better solution, feel free to share !

Niels
On my first one I used a chunk of 5/32 welding rod. Have gone to 4mm aluminum knitting needle now. Smooth, and light, and the right size.

HTH.

Cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:47 PM
Canada, AB, Slave Lake
Joined Jan 2013
93 Posts
Went for a quick flight today in the snow. Added a heli canopy also.

Kinda tacky maybe, but I like it.
I'm sure it'll break real quick and that'll be that...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:02 AM
Copter-FPV rules
Österreich
Joined Mar 2009
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbo View Post
... Can you guys post pics of where you have placed for FPV electronics? I know where the TX is going, but I am going to be running a separate board camera for video feed.
Tymbo,
your new built looks promising - I love the landing gear.

On my Tri, I've placed all the electronics sandwiched under a simple canopy.
Just the VTx and antennas I put on the tail rod.
Despite the fact, that the cp is looking to the sky, I flew 1 mile (1,5 km) out lately..

The flightcam is below or meanwhile beneth the Gopro on an earplug-mount.

Let us know your progress..

Cheers,
WEIDI
WEIDI. is offline Find More Posts by WEIDI.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,575 Posts
Gave my Tricopter its first outing today and after copying a fellow pilots set up i think iam not to far away with the settings but feel it still needs tweaking a little. I have not much room to play with so can not get away from the ground affect but their is no oscillation at all and i can hover but still need to counter act the controls a lot as it seems to drift a lot but will try to get some video so so guys can give me some feed back.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:02 AM
Push limits and rebuild
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jan 2012
102 Posts
I am waiting for my hobbyking order that has my KK2 board. Almost all completed, I just need to clean up my FPV wiring mess and the I will be ready to fly once the weather warms up. I do have a question. I got a new receiver with a satellite, if you check out the picture below, can the satellite be that close to the ESC? I hope the Super simple gimble "SSG" for the gopro works well. I still haven't figured out a good spot for my FPV camera. Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360911666.718313.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 158.2 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360911695.334442.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 148.4 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360911723.984784.jpg
Views: 109
Size: 174.2 KB
Description:
tymbo is offline Find More Posts by tymbo
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:03 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,592 Posts
had my first fpv for agesss today,, been snowed under with uni work.. did it at my old testing ground (in the new forest) which is basically grass mud, and the odd bush... alll looks the same,, got lost a couple of time. had to just sit on the spot spinning around for a while untill i figured out where the hell i was looking..
such good fun :P bit harder flying through a gimbal as well,, gotta concentrate or else you suddenly realise your drifting pretty fast with the wind :P
AliB is offline Find More Posts by AliB