SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:28 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
I also have some full size futaba 3003 servos but they seem kind of heavy and big.
I've ordered the servo reccomended by David but it's taking forever to get.

I had to settle for HK 20 amp card programmable speed controls too because they are way out of stock for the plush brand.

Will they work?
jerryrc is offline Find More Posts by jerryrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2012, 08:58 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
My DIY pvc landing gear

DIY Multicopter ( Tri, Quad, ect.) Training Gear (3 min 19 sec)
rcbif is online now Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:23 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Welcome asimmetrico. Looking forward to hearing about your build!

Jerry, not sure about th HK ESCs. But let the group know what you find when you get them and try them out. I guess it would be a good idea to put a list of all of the ESCs successfully tested with the KK board at the top of this thread. There is a list of ESCs in the multicopter mega post thread, but some of it seemed a little vague to me, which makes sense, since they are speaking to all things multicopter on that thread, vs. the RCE tri focus here.

As far as the Hitec servo, I did a quick glance at the specs compared to the Turnigy 930 I ended up using. Compared to the Turnigy, the Hitec looks to be a little smaller/light/lower torque, and slightly slower (probably not significantly). So I am not sure. I am not a servo expert :-) But if you already have it on the way, it is worth a test. Let us know your findings!

I finished getting the tri flyable with everything connected except the OSD. I did receive the OSD this week, though, and am doing the current sensor soldering and learning about the programming operations. There is quite a bit to this thing! I ended up deciding to give the DOSD a try, and to compare it to my Eagle Tree OSD Pro system that is on my Trex. So far, it seems like they are in the same class together, in terms of features, quality of build, price, etc.

Hopefully everything will be installed, tested, and ready for a flight at the dam tomorrow.

-Sia
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Btw, I was selling a Walkera 4G6S (micro size) 3D heli here on the RCGroups classifieds. didn't really get much interest for an outright buy, but another multi/heli enthuast who was looking for a small Walkera offered a Gaui 330xs quad up as trade, and I took him up on it. That arrived Friday. So there will be a new build going on shortly, of that. My second multi, my first quad. Should be interesting to compare the experience and flight characteristics to the tri.

Also, I received my Turnigy 9X and receivers, to replace my JR 7202, so I could get into a (much!) shorter rx antenna (and tx antenna, for that matter). I finished setting that up last night, too. Working great, and I haven't even flashed it with the custom firmware yet, which is supposed to be really good stuff. That said, I haven't range tested yet. But tomorrow's flight should tell us a lot.

That is all for now...

-Sia
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:49 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
I lied :-)

rcbif: Nice vid and great results on your PVC landing gear. That jig you hand made is hard core! I think I will (once again) follow your lead there. Let us know how the landing gear work as you start to get some flight time with them. I love how bouncy they are!

-Sia
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Oh, and simmetrico, it looks like that Corona servo is similar to the Hitec jerry asked about. I think the Turnigy I ended up with is probably a little overkill. It might be that the Corona and the Hitec will work just fine.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:54 PM
Gets shakes if no FPV in 24hrs
Joined Dec 2011
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sia100 View Post
Btw, I was selling a Walkera 4G6S (micro size) 3D heli here on the RCGroups classifieds. didn't really get much interest for an outright buy, but another multi/heli enthuast who was looking for a small Walkera offered a Gaui 330xs quad up as trade, and I took him up on it. That arrived Friday. So there will be a new build going on shortly, of that. My second multi, my first quad. Should be interesting to compare the experience and flight characteristics to the tri.

Also, I received my Turnigy 9X and receivers, to replace my JR 7202, so I could get into a (much!) shorter rx antenna (and tx antenna, for that matter). I finished setting that up last night, too. Working great, and I haven't even flashed it with the custom firmware yet, which is supposed to be really good stuff. That said, I haven't range tested yet. But tomorrow's flight should tell us a lot.

That is all for now...

-Sia
Sia, I've got a 72Mhz Corona and a 2.4Ghz Fasst reciever both with the RSSI working great, incase you're interested? I've also got several new servos of all sizes.
jarod120 is offline Find More Posts by jarod120
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:03 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
806 Posts
My first fpv flight with the tricopter......the only good thing was, i somehow didn't crash:

First tricopter FPV flight (1 min 41 sec)

To be honest i really thought this would be much easier. I find it really easy to fly line of sight due to my heli flying background but it was a different story in fpv.
crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sia100 View Post
I lied :-)

rcbif: Nice vid and great results on your PVC landing gear. That jig you hand made is hard core! I think I will (once again) follow your lead there. Let us know how the landing gear work as you start to get some flight time with them. I love how bouncy they are!

-Sia

Thanks. I'm pretty sure they'll be good for vertical drops. I've dropped it from 4ft without any disturbance/breakage. But since they are longer and mounted to such a narrow arm, they'll probably break off easily if the tri his the ground at any forward/backward/side speed. But as long as they take some energy from impact, they are working.
rcbif is online now Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Sia, I've got a 72Mhz Corona and a 2.4Ghz Fasst reciever both with the RSSI working great, incase you're interested? I've also got several new servos of all sizes.
Thanks Jarod. I'm actually getting rid of all of my 72 mhz stuff, so I'm going to be letting go my Corona rx, too. And I don't have any Fasst equipment. I'm going 2.4 Turnigy for testing and near range stuff, and the DL for long range. Getting rid of everything else.

Lol crezzee! Your vid had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. But you did your first tri FPV without crashing! :-) Regarding the vid issues, I've read some posts talking about impact of the audio signal on the video signal. As an easy test, you might try a quick flight without the audio connected, and see if that has any bearing on the video quality. It may be that the audio signal gain is just up too high and interfering with vid.

-Sia
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Crezzee, Here is the pic of your tri that you posted a few weeks ago:

Is there a pic you an share with the group now that you have the FPV gear mounted? I'm always curious to see how and where people are mounting things.

-Sia
Old Feb 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
I've been having fun trying to get the OSD working well (not). After I realized it was not going to happen today, I decided to have a quickie LOS flight in the back yard. Here is a 4 minute vid with two flights:

Neighborhood Tricopter Flight #2 (3 min 54 sec)
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
Thanks, it's the digital servo that I ordered, I just happened to have the Hitec 85s laying around.
I give it a try while I wait on my order then.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
18 Posts
What is the best prop for those DT 750 out runners?
How many amps is the target?
I ordered some 11x4.7 props from Horizon because they are very durable and don't need an adaptor to fit 4mm shafts.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
I'm using 10x4.7 gws props. I drill them out and they go on great. I don't have a good reference for amps yet. As soon as OSD is operational, I'll have sone data to look at and will share results here.

-Sia