SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:12 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
got the full autocad 2011 version!now ive found a use fo it!!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 12:19 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Nov 2011
293 Posts
Hey,

Hover I can tell you my ducts are made of ABS Plastic which as I have said is 3D Printed. For powering this bird I have chosen twin HET 6904 Fans with 2W-23 Motors which will be on 5S each.

Cheers,

Matt
1stfoot is offline Find More Posts by 1stfoot
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:49 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
ABS Plastic!!!Man,how cool is that!!Killer work Matt..That should be awesome...
I've just started mine,building plugs and glassing em...Only way I can do it as funding had been used for components and I like the challenge of trying something new..

I ended up ordering the HET 700-68-2250's...Those 39 mm fans are incredible and should not have to work so hard with such a big motor...Trying to choose my landing gear before I get much further so I can plan properly...

On those ducts,,i cut the first section(hotwire)and it looks pretty tight..It need to be sanded down some and tweaked around before doing the second section....I'm using a plywood template on each end and just pulling the wire around the circumference..I also have the bottom in my battery box..It's a little longer than yours and will have a hatch right behind the turtle deck to access the second battery set..It's getting strong as well...Very happy with how rigid it has become...Take care................................Chris.
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:53 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
chris, wow man 6s per side.....that thing is that big?.....can't wait to see it up and running.
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:01 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
what he said^^
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:01 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Looks great Chris! What kind of little hot wire cutter did you get? W.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
I will have an 8s option availible as well..I will just have to see final weight/wing loading to decide to go bigger down the road...I can't get over how big those 700 series motors are..

On the ducts..I just did the second part and it lined right up and with a little sanding and tweaking it will have an excellent fit!!!It will be simple job to sand down enough for the glass and fill the rough to have a smooth duct interrior..I have marglass (for deeper stuff) and Glaze to get that final smooth finishbefore and between primer coats......Plug ready....hopefully...lol...
Take care...............Chris

heres a few pics of the second part of the duct...
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Hey Walt!

It's a little jewel of a tool...here's a pic..just push the little trigger and it is instantly hot...The 2 bars do not get hot at all,just the wire between..Very cool..
Old Mar 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Chris, looks pretty good what kind is it, where did you get it
W
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Walt,
I think I threw the package away but I got it from Warehouse9.com,,,our RC store here in wilmington..I will find out who carries them tomorrow and get back to you..It's an incredible tool..I bought a couple(hot) tools from ACMoore crafts for working foam but the one pictured from the shop is a damn fine tool...I love the way it gets hot in 1 second and cools off just as fast..It uses a wall power supply..I'm pretty sure i can make different arms for the handle to give it a wider bite...Walt,I just looked and the handle has woodland scenics on it..That is the company that makes them..Do a search for "woodland scenics hotwire foam cutter" and you will find a place to order 1...
Take care....................Chris
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
293 Posts
Hey

Hover your doing great looks like you have done this stuff before, this is my first scratchbuilt aircraft so it has been a learning curve. Good luck with the ducting I had a set I plugs CNC cut which are yet to arrive just in case the ABS doesn't work.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:12 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Thanks Chris, I'll look it up.w.
Old Mar 04, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
293 Posts
Hey Guys

Got my Exhaust duct all done today so my ducting is all done and I will be joining together in 1 piece and fixing it in the fuselage later this week. I will also be gluing the rest of the former's in place and installing the fans. I will post some pics at the end of the week. Hover have you made any progress? I like the look of your fans and the idea of a hatch to access the second battery, I might have to think about doing one of those.

Cheers,

Matt
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
705 Posts
Not too much donebut almost finished the first duct...My intakes will be shorter than yours as I am moving my fans foreward a bit from the drawings..With those big motors and possibly up to 8 servos in the aft of the plane I chose to move mine foreward..It's much easier to adjust a nose heavy aircraft whereas a tail heavy....well,thats another story and I will not add lead to my planes...
I have an extra-long battery box and 4 batteries to get my CG right...I just didn't like the fans where they were in the drawing I guess..And kept thinking of the dual vectored thrust units and servos to operate the axis's..(4 servos)..
Theres really no place to push the 2 big ESC's foreward so they will be around the COG point or possibly a little aft!!
I ended up making my duct transition to round a little quicker and feel like the shorter lenth(to pull air) will make up for the more abrupt change in duct shape..
I've done a little more than the pics show and will take more this evening...
Also need to mention that I really love this hotwire unit..Now with a ittle practice I can make these duct sections perfectly smooth..
For the money it is the best foam tool I could hope to have!!does a hellava job!!!
Take care.............................Chris
Old Mar 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,834 Posts
Nice!