HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
Chris, what your method in cutting the wood? scroll saw or just a straight blade?
looks good.
thinking of doing up one but as a pusher......i doubt that the 2 70 mm i have can do a 1/10 version of this.....
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:38 PM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
smkn,
I mostly used scissors believe it or not..Of course there are many places that only the razorknife will work..If the radius is too tight in a turn only a flade will work..If I cut with the scissors I cut up to the line and then sand it to the final shape by taking all but a sliver of my line..sand the piece nice and smooth all around the edges and done..with the rzorknife you can cut pretty much the exact line just making sure to leave enoungh to sand it smooth...When cutting to a point you can use the scissors only on 1 side nd the knife to finish..The scissors will roll the wood if used on both sides of a narrow piece of wood but does great to knock out straight lines,ect..On that pointed bulkhead that starts the intakes I coated it once with epoxyand plan to laminate to a piece of 9 mil depron to give some bulk for that starter piece..(intakes)It only takes 2 to 3 swipes with a fresh razor to do buisness...
This was basically a drawing so once you have the parts you are using it is up to you to modify and fit your individual components...I'm going to try to do gear doors as well to fully close up when retracted..

What 70 mm fans do you have?I have a delta-V eflite that puts out a solid 6 lbs in the aircraft..Velocity 2900 6s 1900-2000 watts(although I saw peaks as high as 2500 on the castlelink)..So 70 mm can be made to scream if you know what I mean...I was going to put 2 70's in mine but decided to go to 80's with all the new 80 mil equipment showing up due to the Habu upgrade craze!!
Possibly 8s,not sure on details yet have to get an idea of weight..I'm not trying to make it a feather by any means but want at least 1.5 to 1..

we'll see..
Take care..................Chris
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
Old Feb 09, 2012, 04:53 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
since no one wants to buyt the DPS 72mm i would probably go ahead and use it....but i have not had any luck with edf's......
i'd like to see how you do the ducts...i was just watching an episode on the f-22 and it mentioned something about 's' shaped ducts. Will you be going with the TV exhausts too?
Carl
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Carl,
when they say "s" shaped ducts this was done so that a radar signal could not see the front of the engine due to the turn they put in the ducts..
On youtube you can look up mardern marvels f22 raptor,its 3 parts..also look up "secrets to future airpower "as it has a lot on the raptor..
also "extreme aircraft 1" and "extreme aircraft 2"..

I will show you with pics how I'm doing mine(ducts)..and yes I will definitely do TV's but will do the Lander units(hobby King now has a knockoff) and dress them up to look squared off somewhat..If you look at the real thing it is round all the way back and even exits round until it reachs those big vector flaps..(and they square the exhaust blast..I plan to put a piece of ply on the top and bottom of the unit to make it look like the real vectors but only will be oval shaped..

I have the lander unit on my Scorpion and it works flawlessly!!With it hooked to my 3 axis gyro it hovers it effortlessly and will exit straight up..
Take care....................Chris

do you have a thread yet?or planning 1?
Old Feb 09, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
Chris, i'm afraid not. not sure yet on the build. I'm just lurking to gain knowledge. will you be taking this to vegas?
your lander unit.....how much does it put out? if my esc's could be programmed properly probably i may hit more than 1474 watts combined....other threads indicated that 2k output on two was normal, im no where close to that and attemptoing to build the same size as yours would be an epic fail on my part.....
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
When I say Lander units I am talking about thrust vector units..They are 360 degree units that use 2 servos to operate the axis's..

heres a link..They work excellent!
http://parkrcmodels.com/product_info...roducts_id=530
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
wow those are nice. what would you say youw AUW would be?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
I'm shooting for 7 to 9 lbs..I plan to have a bit of epoxy /glass reinforcement throughout the airframe,possibly a coat over the whole aircraft but it will be a light coat with a finish layer of the new 2 part liquid polymer hard shell coating over the airframe..Just not sure how I will finish,it depends on how strong it is when I get there..A coat of the 2 part will be covering the model glass or not..That stuff has serious potential to keep foam from being so hangar rash prone..
I'm on the east coast so will not be going to vegas.(wish I could)
I may start attending events this year starting with joe nall,SEFF,ect...east coast stuff..
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
check out EZE Kote. it's a single part polymer that foes on the same way a two part does........................except no mixing.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Chris, you should come to SEFF,, you'll enjoy it I'm sure! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
Chris, I agree, I know you would have a great time!
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Hey Rich,
thanks,I will check it out..
Walt,
yes I do plan to try to get out there...Hoping to get to a few...

ATIS
hello friend...would be nice to get a handful of us together for a lunch and flying..I can't wait to just see the homebuilt and kit built models...

A little update....
I've gathered most of the materials for the ducts..Cutting out the templates and will draw out the top view on the foam..Luckily he marked the centerline on each part in the series of duct templates to keep it perfectly lined up going up and through the turn..still should be a challenge getting the carved and sanded foam pieces just right..I do have confidence to make it work!

Wish me luck....
Take care.................................Chris
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,445 Posts
We had an informal fun fly in July at the field I fly at. We are not a club but its private property and Travis from HRF was in town. We did night flying on Saturday night and the flew and grilled all day Sunday. I will see if everyone is interested in doing it again. We had 13 pilots and a bunch of family members out there.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
Chris, what's up?
well i decided to do one too but a pusher and straight JETSETT style...i'm just not good at fabricating stuff, i stick to what i know..lol
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Mar 2011
704 Posts
Hey ATIS

I bet that was a good time..stress reliever!!Be nice to plan 3 or 4 a year for the people in your area..

Smkn,
that sounds like a plan..Just power that baby well and it will be a fine ride!!Great fliers..

I also have 2 of the new jetfan 80's on the way next week...Thanks Mike at Performance EDF!!Great people to work with online..Still deciding on 6s or 8s..leaning towards 6s because I have to have 2 complete setups and the weight...oh the weight..

Heres a few pics..