SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
it wasn't me flying that plane
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
Mark,
I think its the 150..
Will have to look at a bigger piece but I do see 150 on it..Foamalar I think is the name...
This stuff is incredibly strong and also very light weight..
Chris

What is the diff between 150 and 250??
Hover or die is offline Find More Posts by Hover or die
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:18 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
It's just the density weight in pounds.. Up here in Minnesota, all we have is the Foamular 250 at 2" thick. Both Menards and Home Depot have tons of it all year long.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:30 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Of course I can't get that down here!! I guess whe I visit Indy soon I'll be loading up on foam to bring back! W
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
Walt have you checked home depot?and Lowe's
I'm surprised they do not sell it as it is just insulation...needed for cooling as well as heating...
Maybe call a few stores around your area..Or near by cities...someone has to sell it..
Good luck..............chris
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Oh yeah,,,, I'm in lowes and home cheapo all the time,,, the only thing they have here is the 3/4" thick blue, and some foil covered urathane foam, lowes was carrying the FFF BUT, now they have come out with their own brand, I haven't seen it personally yet, but from good sources it is total CRAP! I guess home depot does carry the pink FFF (same just different color) but my store here doesn't, will ask when the time gets closer if they will order some,, we'll see.. but like I said, before long, I'm going to Indy for a visit so will bring back some from up there... I have a couple of bundles of FFF so I'm good on that for awhile and I have plenty of the white expanded bead but it isn't near as strong, ok for wing cores covered with balsa, but pretty weak for anything else... So I have been taking the 3/4" and layering to get a thicker part when I need it, but some 2" would be really nice! w.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Feb 2007
32 Posts
Going up to Indy the end of the month myself. Going to add 2" blue foam to my list of things to get in Indy, may have to cut out a few boxes of Jack's donuts to fit in some foam. Nah I'll just make my sister ride on the roof. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Oh yeah,,,, I'm in lowes and home cheapo all the time,,, the only thing they have here is the 3/4" thick blue, and some foil covered urathane foam, lowes was carrying the FFF BUT, now they have come out with their own brand, I haven't seen it personally yet, but from good sources it is total CRAP! I guess home depot does carry the pink FFF (same just different color) but my store here doesn't, will ask when the time gets closer if they will order some,, we'll see.. but like I said, before long, I'm going to Indy for a visit so will bring back some from up there... I have a couple of bundles of FFF so I'm good on that for awhile and I have plenty of the white expanded bead but it isn't near as strong, ok for wing cores covered with balsa, but pretty weak for anything else... So I have been taking the 3/4" and layering to get a thicker part when I need it, but some 2" would be really nice! w.
rlongfel is offline Find More Posts by rlongfel
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
What you need to do is get enough guys together and buy a whole bundle. They can be bought in any thickness you need, up to 6", at least in my area.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlongfel View Post
Going up to Indy the end of the month myself. Going to add 2" blue foam to my list of things to get in Indy, may have to cut out a few boxes of Jack's donuts to fit in some foam. Nah I'll just make my sister ride on the roof. LOL
Don't know about Jack's, but LONG'S WILL BE one of my stops!!! ohmg!!! I could do 1/2 doz of those things they are soooooooooo fantastic, especially when made fresh in the morning with the sugar glaze runnin' down them!!!!! w.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:40 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
What you need to do is get enough guys together and buy a whole bundle. They can be bought in any thickness you need, up to 6", at least in my area.
I think I'm about the only one around this area that is using much foam and doing scratch building, 99.9999999999999% arfs I think.... would so much like to have some builders in the area to share ideas with.... thank goodness for RCG!!! w.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:41 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
rlongfel,, take a sec to fill in your location, always interesting to see where folks are from when your one here... w.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjg View Post
Don't know about Jack's, but LONG'S WILL BE one of my stops!!! ohmg!!! I could do 1/2 doz of those things they are soooooooooo fantastic, especially when made fresh in the morning with the sugar glaze runnin' down them!!!!! w.
BE STILL MY HEART!!!! Raised glazed!!!!!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
Sad you guys have never heard of Britt's doughnuts..only one little shop that opens during the spring summer season and rakes in around 6 to 8 mil in that time..
Becoming world famous and hard to do with 1 shop..3 cooks and people stand in line from open to close buying as fast as can be cooked.Google it sometime.....its about 3 miles from the house here....
Take care.....chris.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Denmark
Joined Sep 2005
867 Posts
Hey Chris

I think the foam will do the job, but if you have doubts you can add some light fiberglass....

Take care
Frank
frank40 is offline Find More Posts by frank40
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:11 PM
Joined Mar 2011
742 Posts
Hey Frank and RCG crew...

I've come to the conclusion that this is the only way to get a rigid airframe with this bulkhead building system...Otherwise there is nothing keeping it together than the skin...even if balsa skinned I do not think it could be made to lay properly without something to back it between the bulkheads..seems like it would end up very boxy...
Well I would rather refigure now than try to build something I no longer believe in so I chose to just fix it ..I will skin it with 2 mil dep and SS or glass over the dep..
This has at least renewed my interest in building this bird..
My little hotwire tool works very well in the confined spaces of this airframe and I will try to cover as much as possible with the pink stuff...
Would like to hear opinions of doing this....right or wrong...as far as filling this thing in with foam....I left the foam sticking out slightly past the edge of the bulks to give me some material to fine tune hand sanding...lots of work but would like to end up/with/a good shape...
Take care.............Chris
Old Jul 24, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,985 Posts
Glad to see your back at it!.. I think the pink is a good idea. It will really add strength to it, with very little weight gain. Not that a couple of oz's will make a difference with 2 80mm JetFans. And it sands sooo nice.

BTW I like your little tool. I had made one using an old coping saw, worked OK, but my power supply I built has just too much power and kept burning the wire off.