HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

FIRST SIGHTING: Great Planes F-86 Micro Sabre at the Arizona Electric Festival

Dan Landis came out from Champaign, Illinois to debut the new Great Planes F-86 Micro Sabre at the Arizona Electric Festival. Everyone was impressed with how well the plane performed.

Splash

Introduction

This is not a review but merely a report on the first chance the public, and RCGroups, has had to view the new F-86 Micro Sabre. Hopefully, a full review will be coming in the near future here in E-Zone. Dan Landis, the Market Outreach Manager from Hobbico made the first public flight of the Sabre F-86 on Thursday morning. He made multiple flights and I videotaped three of the flights two of which are shown below. The plane was impressive in the first flight in calm conditions. It appeared to meet the claimed 40+ miles per hour in full throttle flight but also slowed down and still flew like it was on rails. Thursday afternoon we had a steady breeze of about 8 mph by my estimation coming in about 30 degrees from the left of the runway and the Sabre still flew very smoothly (My computer and the camera used on that flight are not communicating correctly with each other so that video is not available for viewing at this time.). There were a number of flights on Friday but due to the high cloud cover the sky did not lend itself to videotaping the small silver plane. Saturday morning the field was closed due to wind but Sunday Dan flew the Sabre in steady winds of at least 15 mph with gusts over 20. The gusts took the smoothness out of the flight but Dan was still able to control the Sabre even in that wind.

Control with the AnyLink

The Sabre was controlled by Dan using the new AnyLink transmitter attachment. Dan was using a Futaba 7C and the AnyLink was secured to the back of the transmitter with self-sticking Velcro like material and was powered and connected to the transmitter through the trainer plug. Three cables come with the AnyLink and I temporarily hooked up an AnyLink to my JR 9303 using the cable supplied for MOST Spektrum/JR transmitters. It plugs into the buddy box connector for control and the charger plug to power the AnyLink. The plug to the transmitter should be unplugged when not in operation (at least with some transmitters like the JR 9303X) or it will drain the battery in the transmitter. With the AnyLink connected you broadcast in FAAST 2.4GHz to control the Sabre. The AnyLink is included with the Sabre at this time. It will be able to control a number of the RTF and ARF planes from Great Planes/Hobbico in the near future. From the little Albatros and Dr.1 and the big Sensei Electric trainer and more. During this SIGHTING REPORT the control was rock solid. Some transmitters require a different cable then the three supplied but most will work with one of the three connectors supplied. More on the AnyLink in a future report.

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

I apologize for the quality of my two videos below. The small size and speed of the plane caused me trouble keeping it in the center of the shot and when it wasn't in the center the focus went searching...

Downloads

Conclusion

It was a very nice surprise for me to see Dan Landis at the AEF this year. Dan took time to explain and show the Sabre to any pilot who was interested as well as the AnyLink transmitter system. I want to thank him for the time he shared with me and the many other pilots in demonstrating the Sabre as well as other planes he brought with him. There was no question about the interest this plane generated even just sitting on the tarmac between flights. I especially enjoyed seeing people who saw the plane on the ground first and somewhat dismissed it until they saw it flight and then expressed how they were going home to order one after they saw it in fly.

While I was never skeptical about the plane's ability, the Sabre went from a might-have to a must-have for me on Thursday. The plane includes the AnyLink with it and that will open a whole new world for pilots. But that is another story. This plane is a winner! Two joysticks up.

Last edited by Angela H; Feb 01, 2012 at 06:08 PM..

Discussion

Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:02 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
It was fun to watch it fly. Can not wait for mine to show up. Still on back order.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:03 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
In my article I said it became a must have for me on Thursday. I just want to confirm I have it on back order. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:40 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Cool video's Michael!

Only one thing could make this cooler and that's retracts closing as it takes off into the sky.

I hope to take care of that real soon!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:01 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,167 Posts
Awesome

Thanks for this

Makes me even more excited for mine to show up.
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:42 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
565 Posts
This needs to fight the new UMX MiG.
MICRO EDF DOGFIGHT!!! LOL
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:08 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,540 Posts
I would be surprised if they didn't both fly at E Fest next week. Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, Diamond Bar
Joined Jul 2011
515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
This needs to fight the new UMX MiG.
MICRO EDF DOGFIGHT!!! LOL
Well at least one would look close to scale. Either way, they both look very fun!
Gamerjoe is offline Find More Posts by Gamerjoe
Last edited by Gamerjoe; Feb 02, 2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:29 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Dec 2011
68 Posts
Hi Mike,

It was a pleasure meeting you at the event and getting to fly with you.
DanLandis is offline Find More Posts by DanLandis
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:31 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,714 Posts
Cute little companion to the E-Flite MiG.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:34 PM
My Champ makes birds mad.
Joined Nov 2011
244 Posts
Ugh. Want.
Champflyr is offline Find More Posts by Champflyr
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:27 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,763 Posts
Can't believe it flew like that

John
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:04 PM
Never say DIE...
Urbana IL
Joined Feb 2006
239 Posts
When Dan did that low pass on thurs.. he slowed it down.. then powered up.. fantastic acceleration! Looks like GOBBS of power!

Grim
Grimracer is offline Find More Posts by Grimracer
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,838 Posts
I spotted for Dan a couple times on Saturday when the wind was still blowing a solid 12-15mph and the little Saber handled it just fine. It's really a GREAT flying little jet.
Doug Cronkhite is online now Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Nine View Post
Cute little companion to the E-Flite MiG.
Cute? Or bitter MiG alley dogfight rival?
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4