SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by StevoRC, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
SoCal SlowFlyer
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Nov 2009
189 Posts
Discussion
Build #23 (January 2012) SkyFly 2X

I decided to resurrect my second RC plane, Flyzone's SkyFly2. This would give me an opportunity to test a couple of airfoils, hence "2X" for two different wings! All I had was the original fuselage, three wheels and control horns so everything else needed to be scratch built.

The boom was replaced with a wooden dowel painted black that was secured with thin gauge wire every 1.5" along the bottom of the fuse. New tail feathers were constructed with BlueCor FFF and the control surfaces were enlarged to 2". One wing was a simple polyhedral with undercamber and no ailerons. The other wing was a Kfm2 (top step) airfoil with blended winglets and ailerons. Both wings were shortened to 32".

The brushed motor and other outdated electronics were replaced with an RCTimer 2212-10 brushless (400 size) 1400 Kv, two 8g servos (one 9g servo mounted on the Kfm2 wing for aileron control), 1500 mAh lipo and an APC 7x4 prop. The rudder & elevator servos were mounted outside the fuse along with the pushrods along the boom. AUW was 20.5oz compared to the stock 19.2oz!

The polyhedral wing flew well while the Kfm2 wing didn't get off the ground. I'm thinking I will need to shim up the LE a bit to hopefully give it some lift. I'll test it again next weekend.

Here's an old thread about the SkyFly mods: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527326
StevoRC is offline Find More Posts by StevoRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts