HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
471 Posts
Discussion
Crashed my 45cc chipmunk, need some A60-16l airframe ideas...

Title about covers it. I crashed my BH Chipmunk that few so nice... Any way, all the electronics survived except the ESC which seems to be the cause of the loss of power.

I was flying the Chipmunk with an A60-16L on 12s with a 22x10 prop. It was putting out about 3500 watts.

I'm hoping to find another airframe that flies as light but is "scalish" and not an Extra/Edge/Yak. I looked the ESM Swordfish for sale at VQ warbirds but that seems a little heavy at 22 pounds. Something along those lines would be great, but I liked the unlimited vertical at 75% power. I would like to keep it at $1000 or less, preferably ~$600ish.

Thanks any ideas,
scott.

BH Models 45cc Chipmunk Maiden (5 min 6 sec)
GuppyG is offline Find More Posts by GuppyG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:38 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,773 Posts
I'm afraid I don't have an alternative to your Chippy",, obviously your looking for something different from the normal offerings. I do recall a Europeon mfg making a big ZLIN, but have no reference.
I think the Swordfish flies like a pregnant pig, trying to push it would just break it ,like the real one.
I am curious about your power setup, what ESC where you using? On 12S the only one I have experience with is the CC 110HV Pheonix, its been flawless. There has been huge problems with CC new ICE series, all recalled.
From what I've gathered, the hobbywing etc all have issues at 12S, but seem to handle 10S very well. One wrong setting on any of these will produce the "magic smoke". Just asking, curious info gathering. Doug B
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined May 2004
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bartley View Post
I'm afraid I don't have an alternative to your Chippy",, obviously your looking for something different from the normal offerings. I do recall a Europeon mfg making a big ZLIN, but have no reference.
I think the Swordfish flies like a pregnant pig, trying to push it would just break it ,like the real one.
I am curious about your power setup, what ESC where you using? On 12S the only one I have experience with is the CC 110HV Pheonix, its been flawless. There has been huge problems with CC new ICE series, all recalled.
From what I've gathered, the hobbywing etc all have issues at 12S, but seem to handle 10S very well. One wrong setting on any of these will produce the "magic smoke". Just asking, curious info gathering. Doug B
I was using the CCICE160HV. It was back from the recall and supposedly fixed. I'm not certain that is what failed but the evidence is leading there so far. I had no power to the motor. The radio was running on a Castle BEC Pro and was still working. I was just too low, slow, and inverted when I realized the power was out.

I had about fifty flights on the pre-recalled 160 and about 10 or so on my replacement.

I'm sorry to see the plane go in. It was different and flew great.

scott.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:08 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
Seagull (at HorizonHobby.com) makes a lot of planes in that size: Sparrowhawk. Spacewalker. Percival Mew Gull. AT-6 Texan. T6-A Texan. ZLIN Z50. Gee Bee. Decathalon. Super Tucano.

The Sparrowhawk or Mew Gull gets my vote.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2004
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Seagull (at HorizonHobby.com) makes a lot of planes in that size: Sparrowhawk. Spacewalker. Percival Mew Gull. AT-6 Texan. T6-A Texan. ZLIN Z50. Gee Bee. Decathalon. Super Tucano.

The Sparrowhawk or Mew Gull gets my vote.
I had forgotten about them. I looked at the sparrowhawk a while ago. That is a great reminder thanks. I'm checking the manual to see how batteries would have to work.

Thanks,
scott.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,118 Posts
Here's a conversion where they cut a hatch on top:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904421

Another way to do the battery tray is as a pull-out box. The battery box and motor mount would be one unit that pulls out. A lock-pin keeps it in place:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3999909
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined May 2004
471 Posts
Guys, thanks for the responses. I called Hobby People and they found two wings for me as well as a cowl and a set of decals. So it looks like the Chipmunk will fly again for about $140. I have to say that calling the Hobby People support line was a pleasure. I was assuming I was out of luck since the wings were not listed on the website, but the support person checked out the warehouse and found a pair for me.

I may buy the big SparrowHawk any way and put it in the rafters for a future date. It looks like a really nice plane and the price is certainly right.

Thanks,
scott.