HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
Discussion
Dumas USCG 41' Utility Boat Kit 1214 Build Thread

I have built a lot of plans for the past 20something years and having lost interest in flying and crashing and not having time to fly due to other interests decided to build a boat this winter. I've always loved scale models and always feared doing much detail work on a plane because of life span. I've been a long time boat owner and always loved boats so thought this would be a good thing to try. I've built a few model sailboats in the past out of composites as part of a club but have found that I don't really enjoy the competition all that much. I hope to build a model of my current boat, a Catalina 27, after I build this and learn the methods for hull construction and scale boats in general.

I found this kit at one of the LHS. It was this or a Billings Andrea Gail and thought I'd really like to build the hull this time. It is Dumas kit 1214. The 41' USCG Utility boat.

The instructions are only 2 legal document sheets so this is certainly going to be a challenge as a first time build. The running hardware is a repeat of the same.

So far I have the hull frame up and the stringers in place. It is mostly straight. I thought it was more perfect when I glued down the formers but afterwards see that it's not quite there. I can see now that doing it jig style, with the formers bolted to something would be a better way to go.

Planes are built mostly out of balsa and soft wood. The stringers have proven a bit of a challenge to get glued in with the curvature at the front. I've used a mix of Titebond2, West System slow curing resin that I have a supply of for my real boat, thick CA and 5 minute epoxy to put this thing together so far. From reading some magazine construction article there seems to be a wide range of adhesives being used.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,003 Posts
That kit builds into a nice boat. We have a few in our club. Be a little mindful of weight, though. If you build the upper works heavy it will ride bow down in the water.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
Thanks for the advice. That's a nice boat in your pictures. I will have to start working on some weight savings then. Is there any better material to use then the 1/8" plywood that is all over the place in the cabin structure?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,099 Posts
there is a guy on here who sells fiberglass hulls for this boat for $65 I believe. If your interested I could give you his info. I love these boats btw.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:48 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,840 Posts
the real cabins on these boats were a fiberglass sandwich with a balsa core!!! just try to keep all the fittings as light as possible(make sure the radar dome isn't a solid block.). lots of good pics can be found with a google image search.. note in the early 80s these boats were modified, the engine vents were moved to outside from the center,rails were in place of them, the escape hatch was added to the forward cabin(it opens forward to allow escape from a capsised boat),ps note on model pics, the cabin door is on wrong side(way to large of a rivet)
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:47 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,003 Posts
I believe you can build with the provided materials, just don't glob on a ton of resin. And like tghsmith says, don't make your details out of solid, heavy materials. A friend is rebuilding his American Enterprise, and there were a ton of frames that were solid. We spent an evening carving them out. Things like that help a lot. If a part doesn't need to be solid, save the weight and cut it out. For a kit manufacturer, it is cheaper to make simpler parts and leave those modifications to the builder.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I flew electrics since the early 90's. I can make things light if I need it light. I will start giving this a lot of attention for the rest of the build.

I've got a good collection of a few hundred pictures that I found searching. I haven't made a decision yet for which particular boat to model after yet. I will pay attention to the features you guys mentioned.

Thanks
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:09 PM
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Oct 2010
164 Posts
Keep us posted on the progress of your build. I have one to build and will be interested in your experiences and comments.

Rich
rsgault is offline Find More Posts by rsgault
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:45 PM
Old wreck in Milwaukee
United States, WI, West Allis
Joined May 2007
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I flew electrics since the early 90's. I can make things light if I need it light. I will start giving this a lot of attention for the rest of the build.

I've got a good collection of a few hundred pictures that I found searching. I haven't made a decision yet for which particular boat to model after yet. I will pay attention to the features you guys mentioned.

Thanks
Have you checked the area USCG stations for which boats may have been stationed near you? In Milwaukee we had 41433 until we got a new 45' RB-M (45604).

http://www.uscg.mil/d9/sectdetroit/units.asp
Prins Willem is offline Find More Posts by Prins Willem
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:38 AM
Model trains, Rc Boats, Rc air
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
Which are you going to use a motor kinected to gears for two props, or two motors.
6789boat is offline Find More Posts by 6789boat
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
I bought the Dumas running hardware for it. The set for this kit is for 2 motors.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:57 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,840 Posts
for a 41ftr two motors are a must, the best feature of these boats was the wide shaft placement and rudders..they were joy to play with in tight spaces, you could spin around in 42 feet of room.. (their handling in large following sea was not quite as good) mounting up the fire monitor and putting on show wasn't to bad either, for the size of boat they could throw a massive amount of water..
tghsmith is online now Find More Posts by tghsmith
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:19 PM
Capt. Jack
USA, CA, Petaluma
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
It's a good boat for rescue

I ended up tearing my hardware kit out and replacing the entire running gear with parts I made on my own. The shafts were so tiny, finding props were hard. I also made the water pickup inside one of the rudders. Def. need cooling. This one has two of everything. Two brass rudders, brass 3 blade props, sealed ball bearing uppers and lowers shafts, brushless 17.5T watercooled motors, mamba max ESC's, and twin 3500 20C lipos. Not built for speed persay, but is built for high torque towing.

Fodigo is offline Find More Posts by Fodigo
Last edited by Fodigo; Feb 04, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,782 Posts
Looks really good.

I'm curious about what you said with props. The Dumas running hardware includes 2 brass props and rudders. I thought the shafts seem pretty substantially thick. Bigger then what I expected. I have no reference in my mind for what model sized component should be like for the size of the boat.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:47 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,099 Posts
hey fodigo, post a couple pics of what makes that boat tick, including one of the props ect. I'm sure people besides myself would enjoy the pics. where did you get the white rub rail?
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis