SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:33 PM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
Discussion
Castle Creations 9

Quick one and it's in this section because more indoor guys are likely to read it...

CC9 running AR6115e DSMXZ rx, Axi race, 3 spekky 3030's... Whenever i move the surfaces a fair amount with any throttle on, after about 4 or 5 seconds of this the whole system cuts out briefly then comes back to life. I know this because the hold light flashes on the rx, so if i fly it, it crashes...

What is going on? I've changed batteries and the rx and it still does it, it has to be the ESC?

Connor
F3P Connor is offline Find More Posts by F3P Connor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,678 Posts
Could be a bad connection/connector to the battery. Or the BEC can't handle the current.

Try one servo at a time - one of them could be bad.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:35 PM
JR > Futaba
Green Lane, PA
Joined Mar 2008
341 Posts
Maybe it's the BEC not being able to handle the current. I don't think a bad connection will keep rebooting the esc.
pvtzemerak is offline Find More Posts by pvtzemerak
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,678 Posts
A bad connection, either high resistance or intermittent, could cause the same drop outs as an overloaded BEC.

The servos he is using are "high torque" and digital, so current peaks could well be overloading the BEC. If possible it is nice to bypass the BEC and go direct 2S, but not all servos can handle it.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:38 AM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
I'm using a identical set-up in a different plane with 4 servos not 3 and a cheap Pulso 11amp ESC and it's fine.... ESC seems to stutter a lot before firing up the prop so I'm inclined to think it's overloading the BEC...

A guy I know with less torquey servos had the same problem with the same ESC.. so I'll try each servo individually as you say and see what happens!

EDIT: Having looked, my pulso has a 2amp bec, CC only has a 1.5?

Connor
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:40 AM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
Try putting a wattmeter inline and check what kind of spikes you are getting when you wiggle the 3030s....I know some of the larger Spektrum servos (while great performers) are a bit more current thirsty than equivalent JRs.

Regards,

Dave
DaveL322 is offline Find More Posts by DaveL322
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Inspired by the wings of an An
Leeds
Joined Mar 2003
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3P Connor View Post
I'm using a identical set-up in a different plane with 4 servos not 3 and a cheap Pulso 11amp ESC and it's fine.... ESC seems to stutter a lot before firing up the prop so I'm inclined to think it's overloading the BEC...

A guy I know with less torquey servos had the same problem with the same ESC.. so I'll try each servo individually as you say and see what happens!

EDIT: Having looked, my pulso has a 2amp bec, CC only has a 1.5?

Connor
The stutter on startup is a timing issue Connor, I cant remember what parameters you can adjust on the CC Thuderbirds.
Andycap is offline Find More Posts by Andycap
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
Ayrshire, Scotland
Joined Nov 2007
80 Posts
My CC10 does the same thing when above half throttle, just dies and resets itself. I'm running axi race with gws 8x4.3, optipower 430mah lipos, ar6110e(I think), 1 HS65 and 2x jr s185. I am using jst connectors though which i thought may be an issue, but they have never gave me any problems before. I was previously using a budget robotbirds esc and wanted to see if the cc was worth the extra cash.

To be honest I haven't done anything about it as I was heading back to work in Belgium. Had to revert back to my trusty rb10. Will contact my supplier when this week as I am home Friday.

I have heard about some quality control issues, shame though coz they ain't cheap!!!
Chris Currie is offline Find More Posts by Chris Currie
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycap View Post
The stutter on startup is a timing issue Connor, I cant remember what parameters you can adjust on the CC Thuderbirds.
Startup issues are generally influenced the most by start power. Use the lowest start power possible without having the stutter. Increasing start power will often reduce the stutter, but the actual start will be a little more aggressive.

The Tbirds are adjustable for low voltage cut, direction, and basic brake function. You might try running different software versions to see if they help. 1.23, 1.56, 2.19, and 3.2x are among the best depending on the exact motor.

Regards,

Dave
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:50 PM
Team JR
Medford, NJ
Joined Jan 2004
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Currie View Post
My CC10 does the same thing when above half throttle, just dies and resets itself. I'm running axi race with gws 8x4.3, optipower 430mah lipos, ar6110e(I think), 1 HS65 and 2x jr s185. I am using jst connectors though which i thought may be an issue, but they have never gave me any problems before. I was previously using a budget robotbirds esc and wanted to see if the cc was worth the extra cash.

To be honest I haven't done anything about it as I was heading back to work in Belgium. Had to revert back to my trusty rb10. Will contact my supplier when this week as I am home Friday.

I have heard about some quality control issues, shame though coz they ain't cheap!!!
Chris,

That combo of servos should be fine. You may have to set the current limiting to insensitive or OFF if you want full power - which will be 15+ amps on a healthy motor and lipo, and it will be pushing all the power components very hard. The best answer is a smaller prop...alternatively, you can limit the throttle curve (or endpoints if using fixed endpoints which is always recommended for planes) to artificially lower the amps.

Regards,

Dave
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:38 AM
Connor Stephenson
Joined Jan 2012
55 Posts
I took off, did a circuit, trimmed it, flying straight and level and everything cut out and It crashed...

I range checked it and it does it at different ranges everytime, So i swapped the rx to one I know works and it still did the same thing...

I wouldn't worry, it's just gonna be a faulty one that no one will ever understand so i shall get it swapped Just wondered if anyone knew what the problem might be but it seems to be guess work on amps vaults and BEC which is all I could narrow it down too. My pulso is 14 and never caused me a problem running an axi race at full beans on thunderpowers , so I'm getting rid of this thing

Thanks everyone though!

Connor
Last edited by F3P Connor; Jan 31, 2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:20 PM
Mr. Foam, Tape, and Carbon
Joined Feb 2011
292 Posts
Lol, castle cremations fun?
I never had an issue with Hacker X series ESCs... The X-5 and X-7 work excellent!
It does sound like an overloaded BEC. Perhaps shortening the servo wires and wire to the receiver could help out, it will diminish the resistence a bit, perhaps enough to make the airplane fly.

Chris G.
RCvehicleGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:57 AM
United Kingdom, England, Leeds
Joined Feb 2008
18 Posts
Conor if you need to check CC programing I have castle programer. Better than doing that throttle thingy.
remsiux is offline Find More Posts by remsiux