HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, NJ, Millburn
Joined Sep 2011
102 Posts
Discussion
OSD monitoring of Spektrum RX signal quality

Anyone know if there's a way to monitor Spektrum AR 6200 RX signal quality via OSD (any kind of OSD) while FPV flying, without loss of GPS functionality?

I googled and googled but couldn't find if there's an RSSI pin on the AR6200 ( or any Spektrum RX for that matter).

So without questioning 2.4ghz Spektrum for FPV in general, anyone know of a good way to tell if you're about to brown out while using this setup for FPV?

Thanks!!
ov3rmind is online now Find More Posts by ov3rmind
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Cue all the Spektrum haters in 3, 2, 1...

Seriously though, Spektrum is a long way from being ideal for FPV and the AR6200 RX probably one of the least suitable of all Spektrum's RX offerings. You will max out on range VERY quickly with that RX.

If you can, grab an AR7000 RX with a satellite RX - it will work much better. The AR7000 has a data-port in which a Flight Log can be plugged to see how many frames/packets you've lost during a flight (once you've landed!). Flyton did a board which would (I think) provide a 'pseudo' RSSI voltage output from this data, but then Spektrum changed the protocol and Flyton pulled the product. Well, I think this is what happened anyway.

In answer to your question though, no, there is no known way of getting an RSSI signal from the AR62000 RX.
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Sep 2011
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Cue all the Spektrum haters in 3, 2, 1...

Seriously though, Spektrum is a long way from being ideal for FPV and the AR6200 RX probably one of the least suitable of all Spektrum's RX offerings. You will max out on range VERY quickly with that RX.

If you can, grab an AR7000 RX with a satellite RX - it will work much better. The AR7000 has a data-port in which a Flight Log can be plugged to see how many frames/packets you've lost during a flight (once you've landed!). Flyton did a board which would (I think) provide a 'pseudo' RSSI voltage output from this data, but then Spektrum changed the protocol and Flyton pulled the product. Well, I think this is what happened anyway.

In answer to your question though, no, there is no known way of getting an RSSI signal from the AR62000 RX.
Solid suggestion, didn't realize my AR6200 with satellite is weaker than the AR7000. On the spektrum website the 6200 is listed as full range... Thought the only difference was the number of channels. If its really a dramatic improvement, I don't mind picking up a 7000 as well.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:26 PM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
Pick up a UHF, I started with a DX7, it was the cause of much heartache for me. I now have a DragonLink attached to my 9CAP and I love it. BTW, Spektrums idea of "full range" is like 1000ft... assuming there isn't anyone or anything near that will shoot you down on 2.4ghz...
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ov3rmind View Post
Solid suggestion, didn't realize my AR6200 with satellite is weaker than the AR7000. On the spektrum website the 6200 is listed as full range... Thought the only difference was the number of channels. If its really a dramatic improvement, I don't mind picking up a 7000 as well.
Many apologies, you're right. I had the AR6100 and AR6200 confused, but I don't believe the AR6200 has a data port and thus doesn't support the Spektrum Flight Log. The underlying reservation regarding using Spektrum for FPV remains too however. I use Spektrum gear, it's great, just no longer for FPV.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Sep 2011
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsullivan05 View Post
Pick up a UHF, I started with a DX7, it was the cause of much heartache for me. I now have a DragonLink attached to my 9CAP and I love it. BTW, Spektrums idea of "full range" is like 1000ft... assuming there isn't anyone or anything near that will shoot you down on 2.4ghz...
I see. I was contemplating dragon link, but heard you lose resolution as trade off for range. Also this is for a quadcopter. So not for a super long range application, plus minimal space to install and separate components (18 inch motor to motor).
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:12 PM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
And when you reach the stage of wanting to interface your Spektrum DX7 to one of the UHF systems, here's how...

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2011/03/17...ezuhf-or-tlrs/
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
Purdue Engineering
Joined Jan 2005
2,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ov3rmind View Post
I see. I was contemplating dragon link, but heard you lose resolution as trade off for range. Also this is for a quadcopter. So not for a super long range application, plus minimal space to install and separate components (18 inch motor to motor).
If you're not convinced to switch to UHF just yet, there's another option - a Turnigy 9X transmitter with a FrSky module and receiver. This combination has a much more solid and longer range link than Spektrum's DSM2 protocol, and it can provide RSSI/Telemetry. Plus, the whole setup costs about the same as just an AR7000 receiver (about $90, plus shipping).

I switched to a Turnigy 9X + FrSky setup on my latest FPV plane after running Spektrum in the past, and love it so far. I programmed the radio with custom "ER9X" firmware written by an RCGroups member, which opened up a lot of programming options not found on other radios. Very useful for custom mixing and maybe headtracking in the future.
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092