Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:08 AM
Evesham, Worcestershire UK
Joined Jan 2008
21 Posts
Discussion
Silabs 8051 ESC (Turnigy Subperbrain) Firmware

Hi Guys,

I'm building a large (2M) quad - but have run into a bit of a showstopper.

I very naively bought 4 "ultra-fast" 40A Turnigy 'SuperBrain' ESC's (being seduced by the data-logging, but it turns out they are incompatible with my DJI Naza (or vice versa - it's a bit of a moot point)

The Naza fails to self test and only drives two of the 4 motors - motors on M1/M2 do not fuction (yet, if you put those 'dead' ESC/Motrors onto M3/M4 they work.

Despite it making absolutely no sense, I'm assured by DJI that it *would* work, if I went out and bought another 4 of any "non Turnigy" ESC's - I have to assume they've seen the problem before, and indeed Antonio in Brazil.. seemed to experience the exact same symptoms with his Naza (gaui esc's i believe), solved with new ESC's
DJI Naza - Gaui 10A Incompatible ESCs (4 min 58 sec)

Terry at DJI is investigating the issue (keep up the good work Terry!) , and I'm hoping it's 'fixable' in firmware, however it seems the Superbrains may be deeply unsuitable in stock form anyway... which leads me to my point

Is there an improved (multirotor optimised) firmware for Silabs based ESC's ?

Simon ?
Bernhard ?
anyone ?

(i also plan to mod the superbains as per http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1210424&page=9)

Or am I flogging a dead horse here ?
nickax is offline Find More Posts by nickax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
VA
Joined Nov 2009
2,634 Posts
Couple of things you might look into about those "superbrains". First there is new 1/2012 factory firmware update for them. Don't know if it will fix your problem or not. Second thing is the default throttle range is 640uS so pretty sure you need to change that. They indicate the usb linker can be used to do both. Don't have them or the naza myself so don't know.
pug398 is offline Find More Posts by pug398
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:11 PM
United States, OK, Lawton
Joined Apr 2011
427 Posts
I just looked at those. They look pretty good. I may have to try them out. Hope you get your problem worked out.
midiman007 is offline Find More Posts by midiman007