SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,791 Posts
Discussion
DJI DataLink and GroundStation Set Up

Winter is a hard time to bring out a product that is primarily intended for A/P. While most of us are dealing with snow, rain, wind and cold temps, DJI introduced the Data Link with View and Click and Go. The Data Link comes in 900mHz and 2.4gHz. The 900mHz is rated to less than 10km while the 2.4 is rated to less than 3km. I got the 900mHz, 1000mW, unit. They are fairly large but well constructed. The ground station transceiver has a nice aluminum case while the multi transceiver has black shrink wrap. Both have a 2dbi rubber duck antenna. Here is the set up video that I did going through the entire process, up to field testing. My field computer is a HP Netbook running Windows XP with a 16gb flash drive. There was some concern about using this with the Google Earth 3D but it seems to work fine. I am not sure if it is up for multi waypoints but I may work on it in the spring. I would say that this is the minimum system for View and Click and Go.

DJI Data LInk and Ground Station Setup; (20 min 15 sec)

So far I am pleased with the set up process. The only hang up is the delay getting a new SN that has the purchased options activated once you have provided your reseller with the hardware id. I will say that I had to install and reinstall Google Earth several times over the past few months. I could get it to work and then the connection would stop. This last installation seems to be very stable. Next stop is the field, if the wind finally dies down.

I know that several others are working with Data Link, View and Click and Go. If you have examples of what you have done with this unit, please feel free to post here as well.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,791 Posts
Here is a video from Stock RC that shows the WayPoints in operation.

DJI WooKong-M Way point STOCK RC ground station (3 min 17 sec)

I also just finished the transfer of my WKM and Data Link to my F550. I had to reinstall Google Earth and Ground Station. That may have been more a result of my computer vs the software/firmware.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,099 Posts
Nice video Ed. You do not get click-n-go with just purchasing the data Link. Just see the DJI page to see that you need atleast single waypoint and the Data Link for click-n-go.
Z06 Tony is offline Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2011
213 Posts
Thank you for the review. What's the total cost for this type of upgrade and do you feel it's worth the $$$ ?
chevota is offline Find More Posts by chevota
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,791 Posts
It is expensive for the Link and the Click and Go plus there is an additional charge if you want the full 20 Waypoint version. To more specifically answer your question the Data Link for the LK900 is $550 and includes View. The Single Waypoint, Click and Go, is an additional $1160. If you want to upgrade to the full 20 point Waypoint it is an additional $530 I think. It is hard to read from the pricing. However when you consider there is no commercial licensing fee compared to MK it is less of an issue. The cost of the LK900 at 1W and a 10K distance vs the Xbee of the MK at I think less than 1k is no contest. I like the interface better as well. Yes I have both. I have not yet upgraded to the full Waypoint yet it will be later this summer for that. I know that MK is feeling the pressure with the new v.88 and the enhancements to their waypoint control. Unfortunately it was delayed by Hogar and friends do to some issues. I am running v.86 but I want to compare v.88 to the DJI system but I can't.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Mar 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Feb 2011
213 Posts
Thank you Ed. I appreciate your honest review. I work 2 jobs to support my multirotor addiction and your non-advertising point of view helps me determine where to spend my $$$
chevota is offline Find More Posts by chevota
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:59 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It is expensive for the Link and the Click and Go plus there is an additional charge if you want the full 20 Waypoint version. To more specifically answer your question the Data Link for the LK900 is $550 and includes View. The Single Waypoint, Click and Go, is an additional $1160. If you want to upgrade to the full 20 point Waypoint it is an additional $530 I think. It is hard to read from the pricing. However when you consider there is no commercial licensing fee compared to MK it is less of an issue. The cost of the LK900 at 1W and a 10K distance vs the Xbee of the MK at I think less than 1k is no contest. I like the interface better as well. Yes I have both. I have not yet upgraded to the full Waypoint yet it will be later this summer for that. I know that MK is feeling the pressure with the new v.88 and the enhancements to their waypoint control. Unfortunately it was delayed by Hogar and friends do to some issues. I am running v.86 but I want to compare v.88 to the DJI system but I can't.
gday Tahoe,

did you end up upgrading to 0.88? If so how does this then compare to the Wookong?

Cheers

James
Jdmagoo is offline Find More Posts by Jdmagoo
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:11 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,791 Posts
I did .88 and I was not impressed. I flew it a couple of times along with my DJI Naza and WKM. While I was so impressed with the MK in the beginning the bar has moved in my opinion and Holgar has not kept up with the competition. My S800 is far more stable than my Hexa ever was.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:14 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
343 Posts
Hey Tahoe,

I sent dji an email around September last year asking if they would incorporate the ability to load POI's from within the GCS then load into the wookong m, similar to the way MK does it.

Since i dont have a datalink are you able to tell me if DJI have updated their GCS? If so, have they incorporated the above request?

Cheers

James
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:24 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,791 Posts
JD, I don't know. It has been a while since I flew with my Data Link. I have been busy with the iOSD, video downlink and Zenmuse on my S800. I really need to spend more time playing with Waypoints on a less expensive craft than my S800. Too many $$$'s in the air for mistakes on my part. I will check for you about POI.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:23 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
343 Posts
Quote:
Too many $$$'s in the air for mistakes on my part. I will check for you about POI.
Thanks heaps for the reply, I think if they have incorporated the POI planning into GCS then I will probably jump on board.

When you say mistakes on your part does that mean GCS is difficult to use and easy to make mistakes with? I would imagine if google earth is inaccurate then problems could arise
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:18 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,791 Posts
It is more like it is not always intuitive. I have to take a cheat sheet with me every time I fly with it. I am thinking aobut getting another WKM to fit on a F550 like I initially tried it with for more experiments. I also hear that DJI will be coming out with a iPad and iPhone apps for control and to be able to set the gains. Lots of good stuff happening.
Site Sponsor
Old May 23, 2013, 01:00 AM
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
I have a question, regarding a similar build. I am building a S800 and I recently purchased the Data Link with LK900 module. I also have the IOSD Mark II module in my configuration as well. My question is about cabling. The instructions state to connect the CAN-Bus connection to the Wookong-M autopilot system. Currently, the two CAN-Bus connections on my Wookong-M are being occupied by, the PMU and the Accelerometer. The PMU’s CAN-Bus ports are occupied by the LED and GPS. I have tried to find the recommended setup with all of these components, without success. Could you please shed some light on the recommended CAN-bus configuration?

Thanks!
JohnnyinStPete is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyinStPete
Old May 23, 2013, 07:32 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyinStPete View Post
I have a question, regarding a similar build. I am building a S800 and I recently purchased the Data Link with LK900 module. I also have the IOSD Mark II module in my configuration as well. My question is about cabling. The instructions state to connect the CAN-Bus connection to the Wookong-M autopilot system. Currently, the two CAN-Bus connections on my Wookong-M are being occupied by, the PMU and the Accelerometer. The PMU’s CAN-Bus ports are occupied by the LED and GPS. I have tried to find the recommended setup with all of these components, without success. Could you please shed some light on the recommended CAN-bus configuration?

Thanks!
You have a T can bus connector on the GPS, 3 can bus connectors on the iOSD and 2 on the Data Link. They are all the same. Find a convenient port and connect, you have plenty.

I connect my Zen to the GPS. The Zen connects to the iOSD. The Data Link connects to the iOSD. Before I had the Zen and iOSD, the Data Link connected to the GPS.
Site Sponsor
Old May 23, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined May 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
You have a T can bus connector on the GPS, 3 can bus connectors on the iOSD and 2 on the Data Link. They are all the same. Find a convenient port and connect, you have plenty.
Thanks, Tahoe Ed! I just wanted to be sure before I go connecting all of the devices. It does makes sense to loop everything in like that.
JohnnyinStPete is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyinStPete