Thanks

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:54 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,071 Posts
Here's a video of the triplane in flight. There was more wind (and gusts) than I usually fly in and I couldn't do much low and slow flying, which would have looked much more realistic. My cameraman was only available at this time, so I had to fly!

Steve

Avro Triplane Mk IV (1 min 19 sec)
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Feb 04, 2012, 03:12 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,902 Posts
Looks great Steve, and almost certainly flies a whole lot better than the original full size one did! The landing is probably authentic too
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 08:12 AM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Thank you for the video, Steve. Beautiful model and nice flying..

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
154 Posts
Steve,

Great video! Your 1/2A conversion planes and building writeups are always enjoyable and inspirational to read. I bought a PAW 03 diesel sometime back because of a post that you made. I have run it successfully but not put it in anything yet. I am considering getting another one and putting both in a Guillows p-38 lighting. They ought to sound fantastic going in and out of sync at half throttle!

I bet a lot of guys would love to have a set of those plans. Have you considered having them scanned for posterity?
Gooroo is offline Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:11 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,176 Posts
Yes.. thank you for the Show :-) Looks great in the air. Love that fuel tank.
Agreed that the Cox Davis conversion barely works.. as evidenced by the sound alone.
Does seem overpowered, as it seems to me to be flying far too fast for what it is.
Likely an old IPS unit would be more scale appropriate.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:18 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,367 Posts
That is really neat. I love it. You did a great job on that too.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,071 Posts
I had a nice flying session with the triplane today and took some better in-flight photos.

Steve
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:25 AM
Stockport, UK
Joined Sep 2001
458 Posts
Very nice work indeed, well done!

Cheers
Ian
Ian Dale is offline Find More Posts by Ian Dale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:52 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
561 Posts
I just stumbled on this thread. Amazing aircraft, inspirational, great job on it.

A Schlosser .5 cc R/C or pb .33 cc R/C in the nose would sound great throttled back.

Someone needs to laser kit the AVRO triplane, maybe a little larger.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Last edited by fiery; Jan 23, 2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:49 AM
Joined Jan 2003
1,071 Posts
fiery,

I agree that a better motor is needed and I might break down and drop one of my PAW .5cc motors in the nose. This would make the model much easier to fly reliably. Laziness prevails at the moment and the ornery Cox will remain up front.

Steve
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:16 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,217 Posts
mlbco,

Wonderful work on your Avro Tripe! Do you find it tricky to fly? I've seen the full-scale Tripe fly at Old Warden, and I'm told that it needs careful piloting. It's only flown early in the morning or early in the evening, when the wind is down. Likewise the Bristol Boxkite (IIRC) also at Old Warden. Both are wonderful to see.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,071 Posts
Jim,

It is hard to fly. I added small ailerons to the trailing edge of the middle wing and they are coupled to the very small rudder. The model has very little dihedral coupling in sideslip, so the rudder isn't effective for roll control and doesn't produce much yaw stability. I aligned the wings as best I could but the triplane still prefers turning right and seems to fly through the right turn with little sideslip. Left turns produce a large slip even with rudder input resulting in a poorly coordinated turn. If I bank too much to the left it can take a very long time to recover!

In spite of these challenges, I'm still able to ROG, fly around the park, and land the model on its wheels in winds < 10 mph. It has a nice look in the air and was worth the effort of cutting out all those wing ribs.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:20 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!! I immediately thought of one of my favourite films: "Mag Men" (The film's title is so long that it wouldn't fit here hehehe!!) It reminds me of Sir Percy Ware Armitage
so well played by the late Terry Thomas and all his adventures trying to beat all the other competitors in a not too much honest way like crossing the English Channel by boat!! Do you have the plans scanned for all of us to enjoy here? It would be fantastic indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:21 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,236 Posts
This type of model is more fun building it than flying it, although it is a good challenge trying to make it fly correrctly.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca