HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
Discussion
RN Models Avro Triplane Mk IV

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this type of model, but the kit was over 30 years old and the original aircraft is from 1912, so it must be vintage somehow!

I bought a diesel .049 (RC version) and some super-cheap Cox micro servos from Cox International:
http://coxengines.ca/product.php?pro...&cat=39&page=1

I decided to bite the bullet and build the Avro triplane kit that I've schlepped around for the last 3 or more decades knowing full well that it might never successfully fly. The original kit was intended for FF with a TD .020. The rudder is ridiculously small and there is no dihedral or ailerons (the real plane had wing warping), all of which seemed to spell disaster on a flight attempt. I finished the model this week and after painting with a few coats of clear dope decided to fly it before wasting my time on further detailing. It ROG'd quite nicely, but would not turn left without excessive sideslip and was much happier turning right, but overall very sluggish in roll. I think there is a slight wing warp causing the turn asymmetry, but the model clearly needs ailerons to be a safe flyer.

I managed 2 flights without damage and my flight pictures aren't good because I took them myself while attempting to fly with the other hand. With ailerons it will probably be a blast to fly and I'm plotting how I'll add those next. The motor is not so great. It is a bit tricky to adjust and with an only an air restrictor carburetor the throttle range is not great. I still need my electric starter to get it going, it doesn't hand-prop from a cold start at all well.

Steve
mlbco is online now Find More Posts by mlbco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Beautiful model..

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:16 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,877 Posts
Hi mblco. Very nice model of a subject I am very familiar with. Before moving to France I lived just a couple of miles from the BAE (formerly A. V. Roe) airfield at Woodford in Cheshire and was a member of the Avro Lancaster model club based there for many years. There is a full size Roe triplane very like your model in the aircraft gallery of the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology (Roe built and modified several versions in the 1911-12 period) which I examined on many occasions, but more interestingly there is a full size, hopefully flight capable, replica built over several years by a group of ex A. V. Roe employees. This has yet to fly due to engine/airscrew problems, in fact a good modelling friend of mine, formerly Chief Stress Engineer at BAE Woodford, is involved in the re-design and stressing of a new airscrew which, it is hoped, will be the answer. However, a group of modellers, early on in the replica project, built a 1/3rd size replica which did fly, albeit limited to calm conditions. This, if I remember correctly, had wing warping control like the original, so I think you are right in that some form of aileron control would be a great help on your model.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2012, 03:03 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
1,023 Posts
Nice model. I think you're very brave attempting to fly a triplane with no dihedral or ailerons.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:34 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
319 Posts
There was a replica built in the sixties for the film 'Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines' which flew all right, but probably had ailerons - I can't remember - all the other replicas did.
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Jan 2005
725 Posts
Nice looking model. Do ad ailerons. I would change out the Cox. 049 modified to diesel for a PAW .049 diesel with R/C throttle. Jack
JackHiner is offline Find More Posts by JackHiner
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,661 Posts
Steve,

Nothing short of spectacular.

I'm surprised that tiny rudder has any effect.

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
Use your imagination....
Turkey, Izmir, Seferihisar
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
AVRO TRI PLANE AT OLD WARDEN (0 min 26 sec)
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
I tacked on some simple ailerons and they work very well! These are coupled to the rudder and only move upward (i.e. 100% differential). The model was flying so well that I dared to take a few more photos while flying it, and unfortunately I crashed while shooting photos(!) The damage was not bad and I already have it repaired and flying again. It can handle a bit of wind now and I can manage low passes when the engine throttle cooperates. The model is a bit overpowered with the .049 diesel, but it sounds great in the air.

Steve
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:03 PM
Lift is cheap - Drag sucks
Socorro, NM
Joined Jul 2004
3,661 Posts
Very neat!

Tom
Tom Harper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Harper
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:08 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,059 Posts
Absolutely beautiful..that Avro is COOL! If you want to continue using a diesel, you might look at a PAW .049. It's a sweet handling little engine, and throttles quite well considering it's size. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to like to be just off compression, but the needle just almost but not quite too lean. Basically "peaked" and then off just an eighth turn or less.
Again, beautiful model!
Cash
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRC View Post
Absolutely beautiful..that Avro is COOL! If you want to continue using a diesel, you might look at a PAW .049. It's a sweet handling little engine, and throttles quite well considering it's size. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to like to be just off compression, but the needle just almost but not quite too lean. Basically "peaked" and then off just an eighth turn or less.
Again, beautiful model!
Cash
I agree the PAW is a much better engine (I own no less than 10 of them!) and I might consider dropping a PAW .03RC into the nose. The PAW .049 would be much to heavy and powerful for this model and the .03 is definitely the maximum engine this plane can handle. The Cox is actually very light for a diesel and it is surviving happily in the nose for now. It doesn't compare to a PAW in any way, but I wanted to put it in a model and I did!

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,067 Posts
I added a few more details to the triplane: a hand made pilot, lettering, and a radiator. I don't think I'll add the rigging since it really isn't visible in the air and if I have another crash it would be very hard to repair. I never expected the model to fly this well and that's why I skimped on the detailing. I'm just going to live with the looks "as-is" since you never know when the next big crash will happen! I hope to get some video to post this weekend.

Steve
Old Jan 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
559 Posts
Stunning. Well done.
fiery is online now Find More Posts by fiery
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,917 Posts