HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2009
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadhauler View Post
It has to be somewhere around there. I'm almost sure its 10:2

Leadhauler
I talked to Mitch today up in IL he said its a 10 to 1. There done this way for torque and quick take-off. I guess thats why the kart tracks are geared for the karts and not other rc with mostly. To me its fast enough on our track. I can't imagine anything more.

Motty
motty is offline Find More Posts by motty
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
337 Posts
Didn't think it was that low but I guess when you think about it it makes sense on how the track is setup.

Trek
Trekker1990 is offline Find More Posts by Trekker1990
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:01 PM
CRA
Joined Dec 2009
170 Posts
I know none of the straights are very long. The ones up in IL were 60 at best. I guess when you think about it the gearing is spot on and matches the track length perfect. This is probably why they run the motors they do.
CRA is offline Find More Posts by CRA
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:20 PM
Always were your sun glasses!
Joined Oct 2010
321 Posts
My first race at Jacksonville the straightaways were much shorter than 60 ft. My guess is 40 ft. I remember not being able to get around a driver due to the shortness of the straight. I had to keep going outside. It needed to be longer. They had the room for it.

Leadhauler
Leadhauler is offline Find More Posts by Leadhauler
Old Jan 07, 2013, 09:18 AM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
Well I bit the dug in my wallet and bought a new motor yesterday. Ordered it online. We'll see if it makes a difference. They didn't carry anything lower in kv so I'll be right up there now with the rest. The thing I do like its the same programing style as most of my racing rc I use. You have punch, drag, timing and all the goods. I'll play around with it and see whats up. It'll take two plus weeks for it to arrive. Until then back to my other.

And lead about Jacksonville they went short to keep the unexpected in the mix. Everyone thought Tate and the crew would setup a huge track until everyone showed up to race. The look on everyones face was priceless.

Toby
Toby Warren is offline Find More Posts by Toby Warren
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Dec 2009
218 Posts
You bit the dug in your wallet? What the F? You mean you dug into your wallet? You've been off the meds again haven't you. Sounds to me you bought the digital card. Good call there really no different it has a screen thats bigger. I still use the basic card because I'm a cheap.

Motty
motty is offline Find More Posts by motty
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:56 AM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
I know it should've been dug into my wallet right? You got the point Mott.

Toby
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:52 PM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
Someone in a previous post asked how I raced with such a slow motor or lower kv than that in the TERC rules? Actually, KV ratings are the motor's equivalent of C ratings for batteries. They might be useful if an independent lab took random over the counter motors and put them all through the exact same tests, then it might be informative, but that's not the case. Even a lower KV motor like the one I had (finally fried) can beat a higher kv depending on timing, gearing, battery, etc. In the case of me racing my kart I find it all in the timing and track layout to make the motor perform at its best. Motor temps are key also.

Toby
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
DoubleTrouble
Florida
Joined May 2009
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Warren View Post
Someone in a previous post asked how I raced with such a slow motor or lower kv than that in the TERC rules? Actually, KV ratings are the motor's equivalent of C ratings for batteries. They might be useful if an independent lab took random over the counter motors and put them all through the exact same tests, then it might be informative, but that's not the case. Even a lower KV motor like the one I had (finally fried) can beat a higher kv depending on timing, gearing, battery, etc. In the case of me racing my kart I find it all in the timing and track layout to make the motor perform at its best. Motor temps are key also.

Toby

It was me Toby and I still don't see how you do it. What about current draw if you jack up timing.

Double Trouble
DoubleTrouble is offline Find More Posts by DoubleTrouble
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:26 PM
TNK9Force
Joined Apr 2012
88 Posts
Am I wrong for saying then I can use a lower kv and be faster than what the rules allow? Toby or Double how much timing is pushing the limits on these? I don't want my motor to end up like yours Toby. I haven't had my kart for long.
K9Force is offline Find More Posts by K9Force
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:27 AM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
The easiest way I can explain to you without being technical is this. Lets say the motor in your kart is a low kv. A low kv motor will turn easily with little effort. Now lets take the higher kv and add the same kart power. The higher kv takes off slugish unless the gearing is set perfectly. They have the kv nailed down in my opinion for the karts and what they offer. Once again for those who want to leap on me and say I'm wrong in my statement. I am talking about this kart and not our touring cars we race or off road.

Toby
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:55 PM
TNK9Force
Joined Apr 2012
88 Posts
Maybe I'll catch ya at a track and you can explain better. I'm new at this rc thing but trying to take everything in I can. Theres so much to learn. I appreciate your effort Toby.
K9Force is offline Find More Posts by K9Force
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:24 AM
Me Toby You?
Jacksonville FL
Joined Jan 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Force View Post
Maybe I'll catch ya at a track and you can explain better. I'm new at this rc thing but trying to take everything in I can. Theres so much to learn. I appreciate your effort Toby.
I'd be glad to and in the mean time I can point you to a few info sites on brushless motors if you like.

Toby
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
Team Edge
Joined Oct 2011
924 Posts
Carl if you read this I lost your email. I thought I put it in my race bag when I left but I may have thrown it away by accident. You asked me about your cap? If its bad or going, caps usually have a bulging end, brown syrup-like material sometimes coming out of them (electrolytic fluid), or they're just plain blown open. If you find time send me an email and I can give you more info and number of caps you should run. Stay away from 95 and radio shack caps. Just send me a email and I'll further into detail.

Robert
Team Edge RC is offline Find More Posts by Team Edge RC
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Nov 2012
65 Posts
My advice is go smaller in capacity and more in series you'll be better off.
2012NC is offline Find More Posts by 2012NC