SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Jul 2008
180 Posts
Discussion
New 3DHS 48" Yak54

A new plane just showed up on 3DHS's web site. It's not here yet, but they're taking preorders. It's on the slow boat from China. I really like the graphics on this one. I found the Extra kinda boring, but that's just me. It's not that bad, I just don't care for red, white and blue. The new plane is yellow, blue and white. I wish it had wing stabilizers like the extra though. Has anyone pre-ordered one yet? I'm not sure if I should pre-order or if I should wait till it comes in and read reviews on it. I'm sure its a fantastic plane. I wonder how the flight characteristics will differ. Check it out here

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/48-EPP-Yak-54_p_16116.html

What do you guys think?
ledouxmike is offline Find More Posts by ledouxmike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:35 AM
Waco, Tx
Joined May 2008
240 Posts
3DHS 48" Full Fuse EPP Yak 54 (2 min 33 sec)

Looks really nice in person to.
waco-rc is offline Find More Posts by waco-rc
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:12 PM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Just a copy/paste of the info found on the 3DHS website so users don't have to leave the thread for the info...

3D Hobby Shop 48" Extra 330 EPP flown by Joe Smith (6 min 23 sec)

Build Manual

Wingspan 48"

36-40 oz. with lipo

Required Equipment:

Power System:

Omega 130g870KV Recommended
Use with 14x7 prop and 3S 2200-3200mah lipo for approx 500W.
Use with 12x6 prop and 4S 1500-2200mah lipo for approx 700W.

ESC

Use AirBoss 45A or Hacker X55 or Castle ICE Lite 75A.

Servos:

Qty. 4 Hitec HS-65MG

Servo Extensions:

Qty. 2 12 inch
Qty. 2 4 inch

The 48" EPP Yak 54 is the next offering in our line of full-fuse EPP aircraft. Built at the world's premier EPP production facility, the Yak 54 uses the same construction techniques as our extremely popular 48" EPP Extra. The Yak features a built up EPP foam structure with a carbon backbone, carbon wing tube, removable airfoiled wings, carbon stiffening in the wings, fuse, and tail.

With the removable wings, transporting is easy and assembly at the field takes less than a minute. The Yak uses the most common sizes of battery and servos so you probably already have most of the necessary equipment. A magnetic top hatch makes battery changes quick and easy for lots of uninterrupted flying - and considering what a superb high performance 3D practice plane this is, you will want to fly nonstop.

The Yak is extra rugged, the EPP foam and carbon backbone technology mean you can survive most hard crashes with little or no repair work to do. Spring steel landing gear help soak up the hard hits too, while large free rolling wheels allow use from a variety of surfaces.

The Yak is recommended for use with our Omega 130g870KV motor, a 45-55Amp ESC, and 4 X Hitec HS-65MG servos. As rugged as this airframe is, you will want metal servo gears so that the servos are rugged too. A 3S 2100-2200mah lipo is recommended. 4S 1500-2200 can also be used. We recommend assembling with thick and thin regular CA glue, and repairing with Welder's glue.

Either as your next step up from flat EPP foam planes, a fantastic practice plane, or your no-worries go-to hardcore aerobatics plane, the Yak delivers with super-low coupling, extremely easy 3D and good speed and handling in gusty winds. Give our line of full-fuse EPP aircraft a try, you'll fall in love with it!
rdsok is offline Find More Posts by rdsok
Last edited by rdsok; Jan 29, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, OK, Norman
Joined Mar 2010
1,499 Posts
Apparently I don't recall how to embed a youtube video... I had thought you just added the direct URL and the forum did the rest. I'd gladly edit the post if someone will update me on what I actually need to do for that.

... nevermind... The URL I had copied had other options listed in it... when removed it embedded just fine.
rdsok is offline Find More Posts by rdsok
Last edited by rdsok; Jan 29, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
817 Posts
Just picked this up at the WRAM Show this weekend looking forward to getting it in the air, I think I will be going 3S 2200 with the 14X7 with mine.
skypan12 is offline Find More Posts by skypan12
Old Feb 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
I ordered one from the lhs yesterday. Looks like a sweet plane.
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:22 AM
scubachet
United States, NC, Wendell
Joined Aug 2009
9 Posts
I also picked one up at the WRAM show last weekend. I'm pleased with the quality of materials and design. Interesting to see laminated foam material, nice idea and should be strong. I do find it a little dificult to hook the wings on with the supplied rubber bands and will resort to wire ties and just cut them when I want to take the wings off.

I got to maiden it yesterday morning in dead calm wind with just a little trimming it was solid in flight. I went with the recommended Omega motor, 13x6 APC prop and my only available battery 2350 Rhino 4c 30c. I think it was a little heavy although the plane did respond well. I'm new to 3D flying but hovering and KE was easy. It seams like I can actually do slow rolls now. I'm going to get the 14 in. prop and 3 cell battery to get more air over the control surfaces and see how that makes a difference.

One more thing, my kit did not come with wheel pants, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to put in a call over a small thing.
scubachet is offline Find More Posts by scubachet
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachet View Post
I also picked one up at the WRAM show last weekend. I'm pleased with the quality of materials and design. Interesting to see laminated foam material, nice idea and should be strong. I do find it a little dificult to hook the wings on with the supplied rubber bands and will resort to wire ties and just cut them when I want to take the wings off.

I got to maiden it yesterday morning in dead calm wind with just a little trimming it was solid in flight. I went with the recommended Omega motor, 13x6 APC prop and my only available battery 2350 Rhino 4c 30c. I think it was a little heavy although the plane did respond well. I'm new to 3D flying but hovering and KE was easy. It seams like I can actually do slow rolls now. I'm going to get the 14 in. prop and 3 cell battery to get more air over the control surfaces and see how that makes a difference.

One more thing, my kit did not come with wheel pants, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble to put in a call over a small thing.
I picked one up at the WRAM Show as well
I don't think the YAK comes with wheel pants....
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
817 Posts
Got to get going on mine I have an Hacker A30-14L sitting here 800KV I believe and am going to run a 14X7 with 3S 2200.

Is there any response to this combo? I am not sure on it if it would be a good set up for this ship or I should be looking at something else.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 01:47 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Ready to maiden in the morning!

Went with the 130g Omega, Ice Lite 50, HS-65MG's and added a brushed speed control for some LEDs that will hopefully be installed before the weekend. The build was super easy. Took my time and got it done including the pre-wiring for the LEDs in about 4 hours. Can't wait to get this puppy in the air!
stickybeatz is offline Find More Posts by stickybeatz
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:14 AM
Northern IL
Joined Sep 2006
817 Posts
Any one have a starting point for the CG?

Found the manual says 4.5" to start
Last edited by skypan12; Feb 29, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypan12 View Post
Any one have a starting point for the CG?

Found the manual says 4.5" to start
I just put my battery in the middle of the battery tray and flew it. It balanced right around where the aileron servos are. I ended up pushing the battery back about a half an inch on the second flight to get it neutral.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
I had enough time this morning to squeeze in the first two flights on the Yak before work.

After a few trimming passes, I switched it to mid rates and did some precision aerobatics. Positive snaps were super crisp (especially for a foamy). 1 1/2 snaps made me feel like Andrew Jesky! Negative snaps liked to dig in a bit too deep but I'm sure that is 100% due to my thumbs. I was able to get some nice negative snaps after a few tries by unloading the elevator a little more than with positive snaps. The plane tracked great pulling from horizontal to vertical and vice versa. Point rolls were a non-event. There is a hair of pitch coupling towards the gear but that will be easy to mix out once I get a few more flights on it.

I switched it into 3D rates, did a tumble, KE spin into an inverted flat spin and brought it down for a low inverted harrier. It felt a little sensitive in the inverted harrier, but not too bad. I tried to pop it into a hover and it didn't want to stand up quite as easy as the Extra so that was my first "oh crap" moment. Flew out and tried some rollers. Roll rate is FAST even with the nose up at a 45 degree angle. It requires very little tail input to keep the nose up and a lot of throttle control to keep from climbing. Where the Extra feels like a giant scale 3D plane in rollers, the Yak feels more like the Super Vyper. Rolling loops were a breeze with the amount of tail authority the Yak has. Big rolling loops looked awesome and I was even able to do super tight rolling loops with no problem. After that, I brought it down low for some upright harriers and it was rock solid. Absolutely no wing rock and very little roll coupling on the rudder. Hovers were very easy and required very little right aileron to keep from torque rolling. Unlike the Extra which likes to be cheated a hair inverted in a hover, the Yak likes to be a few degrees towards upright to lock in.

Overall I really like the Yak. I was afraid that it was going to fly pretty similar to the Extra and I would have basically two of the same plane, but I was definitely wrong. In comparison to the Extra here's my breakdown on which is better for each move:

Precision Aerobatics: Yak
Positive Snaps: Yak
Negative Snaps: Yak
Knife Edge: Extra
Upright Harrier: Yak
Walls: Extra
Inverted Harrier: Extra
Harrier Rolls: Extra
Rolling Loop Maneuvers: Yak

If you're on the fence about which one to get, just buy both of them!!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Nice review! Can't wait to see it. You flyin Saturday afternoon? Get it lit up and I'll stay after sun down with my night Slick!
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:11 AM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2010
1,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
Nice review! Can't wait to see it. You flyin Saturday afternoon? Get it lit up and I'll stay after sun down with my night Slick!
Yea but I need help wiring up the LEDs. I suck super bad at soldering. I've got the ESC in place with 3 2-pin connectors coming out of it. I've got the white strip mounted on the bottom of the fuse and plugged in and it works great. I need to wire up the red and green strips and it's good to go. I can get everything done except for the solder joint to the actual LED strips. Wanna help me out before heading to the field on Saturday?